Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James DeGale v Andre Dirrell

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Is it just me who would love to have seen those septics at the front get a slap?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I just wish I could have a 6 pack like these 2 guys have.

England v USA :lolol: they know how to build up a fight in the states.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Always tricky to beat an American in America.

To be honest it's not that bad in the states.If it was in Mexico or Argentina then I would say no chance but Boston he should stand a chance of getting a fair decision.I think he has a good chance of winning because he is a good boxer.He has struggled to capture the imagination of the British public pretty much the same as Carl Froch did until he became world champion.One good performance tomorrow & we could have another world champion.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As mentioned a genuine 50/50 fight but I edge towards De Gale even in America.

I question Dirrell's desire as he should have had more belief against Froch and he would have won, that being said I still think Frich was the beneficiary of a home town decision in that one.

Then against Abraham he seemed to take the easy way out for a DQ victory and since then has barely fought more than once a year.

Hopefully the fight isn't too cagey as Dirrell tends to fight of the back foot so De Gale will need to force the pace.

Nice to be able to watch at a decent hour instead of 4/5am but still disgusted that next weeks card is PPV with a main event of Brook vs Gavin bullshit.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
As mentioned a genuine 50/50 fight but I edge towards De Gale even in America.

I question Dirrell's desire as he should have had more belief against Froch and he would have won, that being said I still think Frich was the beneficiary of a home town decision in that one.

Then against Abraham he seemed to take the easy way out for a DQ victory and since then has barely fought more than once a year.

Hopefully the fight isn't too cagey as Dirrell tends to fight of the back foot so De Gale will need to force the pace.

Nice to be able to watch at a decent hour instead of 4/5am but still disgusted that next weeks card is PPV with a main event of Brook vs Gavin bullshit.

I am going next week but if you are a boxing fan you are paying PPV for the whole card rather than the main event: 3x world title fights,1x commonwealth title fight, really good British title fight between 2 domestic rivals and Anthony Joshua in his first test against Kevin Johnson. For a full card that takes some beating.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I am going next week but if you are a boxing fan you are paying PPV for the whole card rather than the main event: 3x world title fights,1x commonwealth title fight, really good British title fight between 2 domestic rivals and Anthony Joshua in his first test against Kevin Johnson. For a full card that takes some beating.

It's a cracking card but I can't help but feel ripped off by Sky and Matchroom. I pay a large monthly fee for a sports package plus £12 per month for Box Nation. I can understand Mayweather vs Pacquiao or Groves vs Froch 2 as they captured the imagination and were big fights. Outside of hardcore boxing fans there are no household names on the card and this does not warrant PPV in my opinion.

Matchroom seem to be positioning themselves for more PPV when they should be looking at the quality of their cards. The Birmingham show was a joke. A £1 bet on the 8 winners of the fights would have netted you just over a fiver a sign of the one sides mismatches. This show is different but it should be on Sky Sports not box office.

It's better than Cleverly vs Bellew where I complained to sky and got a significant reduction in my bill for 3 months, I'll be doing the same next week as I saved myself almost £60 last time.

Enjoy the O2 next week it's a cracking venue for boxing (not music) hopefully Mitchell & Selby do the business.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
It's a cracking card but I can't help but feel ripped off by Sky and Matchroom. I pay a large monthly fee for a sports package plus £12 per month for Box Nation. I can understand Mayweather vs Pacquiao or Groves vs Froch 2 as they captured the imagination and were big fights. Outside of hardcore boxing fans there are no household names on the card and this does not warrant PPV in my opinion.

Matchroom seem to be positioning themselves for more PPV when they should be looking at the quality of their cards. The Birmingham show was a joke. A £1 bet on the 8 winners of the fights would have netted you just over a fiver a sign of the one sides mismatches. This show is different but it should be on Sky Sports not box office.

It's better than Cleverly vs Bellew where I complained to sky and got a significant reduction in my bill for 3 months, I'll be doing the same next week as I saved myself almost £60 last time.

Enjoy the O2 next week it's a cracking venue for boxing (not music) hopefully Mitchell & Selby do the business.

Thanks, yes it is a great boxing venue, I was there for Eubank Jnr's last fight in the lower tier and it was a great view from there.

The original line up wasn't pay for view but it was obviously the only way that they could add the Brooke vs Gavin fight and make it financially viable. I know that Gavin doesn't exactly get pulses raised but he is ranked 4 by the IBF so its still a credible fight for Brooke and only 8 weeks or so since his last outing.

The problem is that due to the promoters having exclusive deals with different broadcasters its now really expensive for boxing fans. I do agree with you r.e. the Birmingham card and Newcastle was also a shocker. Frank Warren is also serving up some very poor cards....Wembley arena headlined by Mitchell Smith and Bradley Skeete for example!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
TBH theres been some Brits doing well over there recently.

Andy Lee got a draw in Brooklyn when he could of easily lost on points to Quillin, in Quillin's home town, Brook got a close decision over Shawn 'the new tyson' Porter and the other week McDonnell got a close win over Kameda in the States, so in Boston you would hope Degale should get a fairly decent shake in Boston, especially as Dirrell is quite a negative boxer, and Americans like boxers to be aggressive.

Hopefully Degale UD.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Hope Degale wins, this will be a tough fight for him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here