Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rye, East Sussex.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Just had a night away with the wife to Rye and had a really nice time. My question is......Rye has a population of under 5 Thousand but there seems to be pub every 100 metres ( lovely little watering holes too) how many in total is there? :mad: Many Albion fans live local? Stayed at The Standard Inn, .lovely place to stay, roll top bath in the bedroom, and really good full English. :thumbsup:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Just had a night away with the wife to Rye and had a really nice time. My question is......Rye has a population of under 5 Thousand but there seems to be pub every 100 metres ( lovely little watering holes too) how many in total is there? :mad: Many Albion fans live local? Stayed at The Standard Inn, .lovely place to stay, roll top bath in the bedroom, and really good full English. :thumbsup:

The wife & I stayed at Jeake's House in Mermaid Street a few years ago.
Very historic hotel & it had an honesty bar :ohmy: :whisky:------so I never frequented any pubs :drink:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Rye's a really nice place to visit, I've been there more times than I can count due to family living nearby.

It's only now that I realise just how many pubs there are there...and antique shops...hmm.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Rye's a really nice place to visit, I've been there more times than I can count due to family living nearby.

It's only now that I realise just how many pubs there are there...and antique shops...hmm.

People years ago must of been midgets judging by the size of the doors------WHOOPS that went well trying to post pictures of The Doors in Rye :eek:

Help!!!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
If you drove the A268 from Rye to Flimwell, there was a pub about every other mile - I've never seen so many on one road. A few have closed, but there are still a fair number. The only other road that had as many was the A275, but a lot of them have gone.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
People years ago must of been midgets judging by the size of the doors------WHOOPS that went well trying to post pictures of The Doors in Rye :eek:

Help!!!

spent some time in Rye many years ago, and that's one of the things I remember about it. That and it was lovely.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
I go there often. There is an flint fronted school in the high street that has been turned into a record store. Great collection of vinyl. I have at leat 30 12" singles bought from them. I was there on Tuesday for my birthday, with the missus. There is a fabulous fish restaurant in the north of the town. Most folk visit Camber sands which is a couple of miles east. But the shingle and sand beach to the west of the rivermouth is stunning. And there is a castle built by Henry VIII in the middle of a field. Interesting fact about Rye, Rod Hull (and Emu) lived there, and died there when he fell off his roof trying to fix his satelite dish. Rod, I mean. Emu was elsewhere at the time. I think that Spike Milligan is buried nearby. His headstone reads 'I told you I was ill'. :smile:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I must say it is one of my favourite places in Sussex too. As well as the pubs, I can recommend the fresh fish shop on the River Rother bridge, and the fish and chip shop on the High Street is reputedly one of the best in Sussex (please, NSC, no more fish puns). Anyone thinking of moving there had better get in quick, as there is talk of extending the HS1 service from Ashford, which would lead to a house buying craze.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

:needpics:

There you go!

ryegrass2.jpg

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We visit Rye every year. Love the place. This thread reminds me that we are due a visit this year.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Ah, guid auld Rabbie Burns!
[h=1]Comin Thro' The Rye[/h]O, Jenny's a' weet, poor body, Jenny's seldom dry:
She draigl't a' her petticoatie, Comin thro' the rye!

Comin thro' the rye, poor body, Comin thro' the rye,
She draigl't a' her petticoatie, Comin thro' the rye!

Gin a body meet a body Comin thro' the rye,
Gin a body kiss a body, Need a body cry?

Gin a body meet a body Comin thro' the glen,
Gin a body kiss a body, Need the warl' ken?

Gin a body meet a body Comin thro' the grain;
Gin a body kiss a body, The thing's a body's ain.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I go there often. There is an flint fronted school in the high street that has been turned into a record store. Great collection of vinyl. I have at leat 30 12" singles bought from them. I was there on Tuesday for my birthday, with the missus. There is a fabulous fish restaurant in the north of the town. Most folk visit Camber sands which is a couple of miles east. But the shingle and sand beach to the west of the rivermouth is stunning. And there is a castle built by Henry VIII in the middle of a field. Interesting fact about Rye, Rod Hull (and Emu) lived there, and died there when he fell off his roof trying to fix his satelite dish. Rod, I mean. Emu was elsewhere at the time. I think that Spike Milligan is buried nearby. His headstone reads 'I told you I was ill'. :smile:

Yeah he lived (and died) In Winchelsea I believe. Lovely part of the world.

If you drove the A268 from Rye to Flimwell, there was a pub about every other mile - I've never seen so many on one road. A few have closed, but there are still a fair number. The only other road that had as many was the A275, but a lot of them have gone.

Thanks, now going mad trying to remember them all without using "Street view"! I remember an ill advised pub crawl round Rye once - just.

Haven't drunk there for many a year but fave pub was the Ypres Inn just down from the Ypres Tower. John Ryan, the creator of Captain Pugwash lived nearby and it was his local, lucky chap. The menus in there were drawn by him and showed the good Captain sitting outside enjoying a flagon of ale. Saw Mr Ryan in there once enjoying an ale - he was very tall.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here