Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What should the world do If/When IS raise the ancient site of Palmyra to the ground ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As this would be a horror against the whole of Humanity. It is site of immense beauty and importance but before it was built before the days of their God, it is a falsehood. I fear this is only a matter of time and it will be utterly heart breaking, religious or not.

If/When this happens and we see it posted on youtube being smashed down and blown up, what should or could the World do ?

Friday debate

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As this would be a horror against the whole of Humanity. It is site of immense beauty and importance but before it was built before the days of their God, it is a falsehood. I fear this is only a matter of time and it will be utterly heart breaking, religious or not.

If/When this happens and we see it posted on youtube being smashed down and blown up, what should or could the World do ?

Friday debate

Be sad. :(

Or, the US bomb one of their holy cities? (Controversial)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think it will be a cause for tears, but I fear it is a certainty

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
what about the people that live there, more to the point?

This

There is an in depth piece on the threat to Palmyra on the BBC site. There are comments from the local people, bemoaning the fact that 'the West' seems more concerned with the fate of the cultural heritage than that of the human beings who are suffering.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
This

There is an in depth piece on the threat to Palmyra on the BBC site. There are comments from the local people, bemoaning the fact that 'the West' seems more concerned with the fate of the cultural heritage than that of the human beings who are suffering.

as idiotic and sad as smashing up antiquities is, to express concern over them while not mentioning the innocent people stuck in a warzone and having recently been occupied by lunatics, grates me more than a little bit.

i have to say watching some of the recent footage of their adolescent vandalism managed to raise a chuckle in spite of it, when they topple a few statues, and almost to a man do it very gingerly and then jump back terrified as they hit the floor. for such tough nuts, pushing over some statues seemed to give them the willies a bit.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Palmyra is not inhabited, it is an ancient site. It is 400 yards from Tadmur, which is the town ISIS have taken. They now have access to the site. The atrocities being committed by ISIS and Assad are horrific and are worse than any destruction of historical towns, buildings etc.
It would still be terrible to lose such a site. I feel lucky to have spent a couple of nights camping bang in the middle of Palmyra 20 years back. Had a great 2 weeks visiting areas that are now in ruins and controlled by ISIS. Hard to believe we could just park up the 4WD and camp almost anywhere in Syria then without any problems. Remember being shocked with the 10,000 deaths committed by Assads Dad, in 1990, at Homs where the now ruined water wheels were.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well a low yield neutron bomb would knock out ISIS in the area, and leave the ruins intact, but some might view that as little extreme..

( insert 'not serious' smiley )

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Well a low yield neutron bomb would knock out ISIS in the area, and leave the ruins intact, but some might view that as little extreme..

( insert 'not serious' smiley )

Funnily enough, I had thought the same (maybe with a sligthly more than not serius smiley)

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You don't "raise something to the ground" Gareth. You raise something from the ground and raze something too it. Tsk.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It’s the symbolism of destroying world history and heritage. In a peaceful Middle East the local people need sites like that as it is part of their street level economy in tourism. If Islamic State has their way they will only own sand because we will blow up the oil industry when push comes to shove.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Friday debate

Not watch it.... I will be honest, and say I never knew it existed in the first place so my first world answer is don't care about the old blocks of stone or dust whatever it is, now the people that is a very different matter. We should be helping any people in distress when ever possible..... Not when it suits us and we can get something out of it..... We will need other nations help in the future, and nations will remember how we have acted and it will come and bite us in the arse.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not watch it.... I will be honest, and say I never knew it existed in the first place so my first world answer is don't care about the old blocks of stone or dust whatever it is, now the people that is a very different matter. We should be helping any people in distress when ever possible..... Not when it suits us and we can get something out of it..... We will need other nations help in the future, and nations will remember how we have acted and it will come and bite us in the arse.

It is a failure of logic to not have been working with Assad in this.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The logic concerning Assad on NSC earlier in this war was to bomb the **** out of him...now people worrying about ruins

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
seeing as I'm unlikely to ever visit the ruins of Palymira and, until yesterday, had no idea it existed then I shouldn't get to aerated one way or the other.

That being the case those that DO care about ancient ruins should be prepared to lay down their lives to protect it. I propose Phil Harding off time team accompanied by Mary Beard, Tony Robinson and Simon Schama. I would offer them whatever support I could in terms of tents and sunglasses but beyond that, they're on their own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here