Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Figo quits FIFA presidential 'election'

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Not really sure what has gone on here. If he has quit because FIFA and the election system is corrupt, I would hazard a guess that he was fully aware of that when he threw his hat in to the ring.

Having spent months of time money and effort campaigning and travelling around the world, it seems an odd time to pull out. I appreciate he has made his reasons clear, but it doesn't quite add up to me.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/21/luis-figo-fifa-presidential-race-two-horse-race

Luis Figo has pulled out of the Fifa presidential race with a stinging broadside against Sepp Blatter and the electoral process.

After the Dutch FA president, Michael van Praag, also withdrew, as expected, Blatter is left with the Jordanian former Fifa executive committee member Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein as his only challenger.

Figo, the former world footballer of the year who, like Van Praag, launched his candidacy with a strident speech and glossy manifesto, had been frustrated by Blatter’s refusal to countenance a public debate and compared his 17-year tenure to a “dictatorship”. The Portuguese former Barcelona and Real Madrid player said that the process was “anything but an election”.

“This process is a plebiscite for the delivery of absolute power to one man – something I refuse to go along with,” he said. “That is why, after a personal reflection and sharing views with two other candidates in this process, I believe that what is going to happen on May 29 in Zurich is not a normal electoral act.”

While he said some supported his desire for change, Figo said that at recent meetings of the continental confederations around the world he witnessed behaviour that “should shame anyone who desires soccer to be free, clean and democratic”. He added: “I have seen with my own eyes federation presidents who, after one day comparing Fifa leaders to the devil, then go on stage and compare those same people with Jesus Christ. Nobody told me about this. I saw it with my own eyes.”

Figo was apparently referring to the Concacaf congress at which Blatter was improbably compared to Jesus, Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King. “The candidates were prevented from addressing federations at congresses while one of the candidates always gave speeches on his own from the rostrum. There has not been a single public debate about each candidate’s proposals,” he added.

Advertisement

Blatter has refused to publish a manifesto or debate his scandal-hit presidency atop world football’s governing body, while only Uefa allowed the challengers to address delegates from the podium.

The Uefa president, Michel Platini, welcomed the three challengers when they announced their candidacy, hoping they would be able to attack Blatter from different angles in a “multi-ball” strategy. But Blatter managed to choke off any debate and is widely expected to secure victory in the vote of 209 national associations next Friday. He is standing for a fifth term despite having earlier promised to stand down in 2015.

Figo said: “For my part, I will abide by the ideas I leave written and have circulated, I am firm in my desire to take an active part in the regeneration of Fifa and I will be available for it whenever it is proven to me that we are not living under a dictatorship. I do not fear the ballot box, but I will not go along with nor will I give my consent to a process which will end on May 29 and from which soccer will not emerge the winner.”

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I thought the three alternative (non Blatter) candidates all met up and decided that just one of them should go forward. Therefore not splitting their vote, that was my understanding at least. Hopefully all three will campaign as hard as if they were still running, even though it will still probably be in vain. Blatter has Concacaf, large parts of Asia and Africa in his pockets permanently it seems.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I thought the three alternative (non Blatter) candidates all met up and decided that just one of them should go forward. Therefore not splitting their vote, that was my understanding at least. Hopefully all three will campaign as hard as if they were still running, even though it will still probably be in vain. Blatter has Concacaf, large parts of Asia and Africa in his pockets permanently it seems.

I see, if that's the case I would have thought getting behind Figo would be a better ides, but perhaps Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein has a bit more influence as he is part of FIFA so could draw in more votes. There is a clip of Sepp saying he doesn't need to publish a manifesto becasue what has occured during his time in power speak for itself! Given FIFA's track record under Sepp I find this comment mind blowing.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

This was my understanding as well. I think a few separate associations have publicly backed the Jordanian candidate (whose name escapes me at the moment) already, including our own FA.

I assume that the three have decided that he stands the best chance of at least denting Blatter's power base.

Realistically, I can't see that any of them were likely to topple the mad old sod but if this maximises their chances then fair play to them.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I see, if that's the case I would have thought getting behind Figo would be a better ides, but perhaps Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein has a bit more influence as he is part of FIFA so could draw in more votes. There is a clip of Sepp saying he doesn't need to publish a manifesto becasue what has occured during his time in power speak for itself! Given FIFA's track record under Sepp I find this comment mind blowing.

You have to remember what the constituency is. A bunch of blazers running a cartel. Hopefully they are more likely to vote for one of their own in Hussain, than Figo who is coming in and promising to tear the place apart. As you say Blatter's arrogance in not even publishing a manifesto tells us all we really need to know. The Turkey's will not be voting for Christmas. I wonder if any bookies are running odds on Blatter's reelection?

Edit: Just checked, William Hill have Blatter 1-16! Though this was before the others dropped out.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It is not in my nature to wish people dead but it seems the only way that FIFA stands any chance of cleansing itself is when Blatter departs this life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here