Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How old were you when you had your best Albion season?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
3 years before I was born.

I've said my team will be shitehouse ever since, and I'm always right.
I know my team will be even worse this year, and I'm quite happy to show it.
It wouldn't be so bad if a loyal supporter like me got treated with respect, but the club clearly hates me as much as I hate it.

:albion: #loyalsupporter.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
my enjoyment of football has never waned, but my fondest memories of the Albion and the whole match day experience are probably from around the mid eighties when I was about 20.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
12. That brilliant 1964/65 season when we scored goals for fun, had a recent England centre forward up front, and the best gates in the division. It was a joy and cemented my love for all things Albion.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
1987-88 season when we won promotion behind Sunderland from the old div 3. I was 12 at the start and turned 13 towards the end of the season. My first full season of going to football with my mates as well as my first promotion since I'd started going, too young to remember/attend our rise in the late 70's.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just wondering if age plays a part in enjoyment of football?

16/17 season 76/77:thumbsup:

I think it almost certainly does, Rev.

Mine is the year we went up, beating Bristol Rovers last day, with Bremner and Nelson up front. Is that 87/88? Would make me the same age as yours 16/17.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Mine is the year we went up, beating Bristol Rovers last day, with Bremner and Nelson up front. Is that 87/88? Would make me the same age as yours 16/17.

Was just about to post exactly the same. Teenage kicks, so hard to beat.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne

Same season for me although i was 19/20. Also in that season was the best Albion goal i've seen live, Gary Nelson away to Brentford.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Was just about to post exactly the same. Teenage kicks, so hard to beat.

Same season for me although i was 19/20. Also in that season was the best Albion goal i've seen live, Gary Nelson away to Brentford.

Also the same season as the cracking 4th round FA cup game v Arsenal. Nelson scored a belter in that as well.

Amazing run-in the league that year. We won 7 of the last 8 to clinch promotion.

My most vivid memories are:

1. Thinking we had blown it by only drawing 2-2 at Chester in the penultimate game, then (pre smartphones, or any mobile phones, tbh) crowding round a radio with a coach load of Albion fans at a service station halfway home, going mental when we heard that <whoever we were fighting for the spot with> had blown their game too! and we were still second.

2. The post match celebrations at the Goldstone aft the Bristol game. Adrian Owers in his pants, next to a lad from our school who was dressed as a gorilla (cos he was banned...).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The two best seasons for me were, the Back to back promotion seasons at Withdean, so I would have been around 14-16.

then after that it would have been Gus' final season in charge, the New ground, the playing squad, the quality of football, the belief that we COULD make the Premier League. obviously that all came crashing down, but if we had another season like that next season I would be over the moon.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
76/77 for me. I was 13 and the day after the Sheff Wed game at school it was a badge of honour for those of us who'd run on the pitch to still have the Goldstone mud
caked on our shoes.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
2. The post match celebrations at the Goldstone aft the Bristol game. Adrian Owers in his pants, next to a lad from our school who was dressed as a gorilla (cos he was banned...).

I remember the pitch invasion going slightly too early as the ref blew for an offside and Garry Nelson raised his arms thinking it was the final whistle. My memory may be playing tricks on me but I thought it was Gary Chivers in his pants after the game in the directors box.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember the pitch invasion going slightly too early as the ref blew for an offside and Garry Nelson raised his arms thinking it was the final whistle. My memory may be playing tricks on me but I thought it was Gary Chivers in his pants after the game in the directors box.

Could have been. They looked pretty similar (not that I was particularly familiar with either of them, in their pants, I should make clear...)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Also the same season as the cracking 4th round FA cup game v Arsenal. Nelson scored a belter in that as well.

Amazing run-in the league that year. We won 7 of the last 8 to clinch promotion.

1. Thinking we had blown it by only drawing 2-2 at Chester in the penultimate game, then (pre smartphones, or any mobile phones, tbh) crowding round a radio with a coach load of Albion fans at a service station halfway home, going mental when we heard that <whoever we were fighting for the spot with> had blown their game too! and we were still second.

My joint favourite season though I was a year younger than you. I was also crowded round a radio at the services (the ones just outside Luton, the actual name escapes me) and I'm pretty sure Walsall were the team that blew it. - EDIT - Toddington

The other season was the Notts Co playoff season 1990/91 when I would have been 18/19. Did pretty much every game home and away and was a peak time for having a laugh in the North stand and on the train to awaydays. Wembley itself was pretty disappointing and there were some awful away games as well (we had a negative goal difference despite getting to the playoffs) but the Ipswich home game scoring in the last minute, thrashing Millwall at home and then going through up there when they set fire to their prgrammes at the Old Den (either in frustration or to try and smoke us out of the ground, have never been sure which) are priceless Albion memories.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I remember that well Albion fans running round Chester before the game, I think it had something to do with Notts County losing if I remember correctly.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Two stand out for me: 1990-1991 and 2000-2001.

I was 19 for the first and 29 for the second. Living in Birmingham meant I could get around to a lot of away games in 1990-1991 - some were brilliant, some were appalling. But we had a really attacking team with two great strikers (make that three with Gary Nelson).

2000-2001 was a bit more attritional and the football wasn't as fun but it was just brilliant to actually have a good season for the first times in years. Some great days out in places like Kidderminster and Plymouth.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure cant decide which was best 57/58 season and our first ever promotion or 78/79 promotion at Newcastle to Div 1 so either 14 or 35. Hopefully these will be surpassed in the next couple of years with promotion to the Premier.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
87/88 season. I was 14 years old. Nelson and Bremner.

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here