Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The play-off finalists.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All finished in the highest play-off postions in their respective divisions.
Norwich 3rd Boro 4th
Preston 3rd Swindon 4th
Wycombe 4th Southend 5th
I assume this has happened before but I can't honestly remember.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Only fair then really.
I like the way the Scottish League works, having the winning play off team playing the team just above relegation for their spot.
Maybe the Premiership could use this method and have only two automatic relegations to the Championship and a play off from the play offs to sort the last relegation spot out.
Would make the season even more interesting up till the final day.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Bristol Rovers v Grimsby in the Conference too, with Bristol Rovers (the higher team) going up.

I wonder what odds you could have got on the highest team winning in each division.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Only fair then really.
I like the way the Scottish League works, having the winning play off team playing the team just above relegation for their spot.
Maybe the Premiership could use this method and have only two automatic relegations to the Championship and a play off from the play offs to sort the last relegation spot out.
And that would make it harder for teams to get into the premier league. With the money on offer to premier league teams, it would become even more of a closed shop.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And that would make it harder for teams to get into the premier league. With the money on offer to premier league teams, it would become even more of a closed shop.
The teams finishing 15th to18th could play off for the final relegation place.
With each losing team going through to the 'final'.

What would the tabloids call that match?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Only fair then really.
It happened in England originally in The play offs ,in 87 Aldershot of The 4th Division beat 3rd Division Bolton in the semi final .Then beat Wolves of The 4th in the final.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I remember going to Leeds ( Div 2 ) vs Charlton ( Div 1 ) in a playoff semi final in around 1986/1987

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I remember going to Leeds ( Div 2 ) vs Charlton ( Div 1 ) in a playoff semi final in around 1986/1987

If memory serves the Play offs were introduced as they were decreasing the number of teams in what is now the Premier League with 4 up / 2 down over a couple of years. 4th Bottom played off with 2nd, 3rd & 4th in the Championship. The success of them kept them ongoing.

I think Charlton stayed up that year.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
All finished in the highest play-off postions in their respective divisions.
Norwich 3rd Boro 4th
Preston 3rd Swindon 4th
Wycombe 4th Southend 5th
I assume this has happened before but I can't honestly remember.

Prob the 1st, good stat.
I recall that the 7th in the 4th div was 'winning' after a decade, somewhat bizarrely

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

What would the tabloids call that match?

But if a team that finishes 15th loses to the team that came 18th and is subsequently relegated, how is that far? Given that they did enough to avoid automatic relegation?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But if a team that finishes 15th loses to the team that came 18th and is subsequently relegated, how is that far? Given that they did enough to avoid automatic relegation?
And yet the team that finishes sixth has done enough to be the third team promoted?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think relegation is bad enough as it is, without making a loser loses all game. Play-offs work best when teams are trying to win something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here