Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Vardy in England squad

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Fair play to the bloke who was playing non-league football 3 seasons ago.

QPR striker Charlie Austin has been named in Roy Hodgson's England squad to play the Republic of Ireland and Slovenia in June.

Austin, 25, scored 17 goals as QPR were relegated from the Premier League.

Leicester forward Jamie Vardy, 28, and Burnley goalkeeper Tom Heaton, 29, are also called up for the first time.

Goalkeepers: Rob Green (Queens Park Rangers), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley),

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Ryan Mason (Tottenham), James Milner (Manchester City), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Forwards: Charlie Austin (Queens Park Rangers), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester) Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Listed as a striker - 4 goals this season!

Danny Ings, Berahino and Kane are all in the U21s aren't they? The only reason he's in the squad.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Would rather see Vardy given a go then some of the old guard such as Defoe etc etc

Ireland game means nothing and the Slovenia game should be easily negotiable for that squad. And even if it isn't, we've practically qualified anyway

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Surprised we didn't drop down a division and gave Deeney or Rhodes a go. I know its not ideal, but Deeney will be playing Premier League football next year anyway and has much better scoring record this season. As said above, Ireland game means nothing and Slovenia shouldn't cause to many problems so why not.

I don't know much about Vardy, but at 28, he isn't exactly going to get many other chances for a call up, so why not call up someone younger with a bit more future potential?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Surprised we didn't drop down a division and gave Deeney or Rhodes a go. I know its not ideal, but Deeney will be playing Premier League football next year anyway and has much better scoring record this season. As said above, Ireland game means nothing and Slovenia shouldn't cause to many problems so why not.

I don't know much about Vardy, but at 28, he isn't exactly going to get many other chances for a call up, so why not call up someone younger with a bit more future potential?

Scottish international Rhodes?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Technically there are already 3 Championship players in the squad

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
No harm in giving him a go, it's been a good season and he at least deserved to be in the discussion.

I'm not sure I can name better alternatives off the top of my head but Chris Smalling continually getting called up is baffling.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
No harm in giving him a go, it's been a good season and he at least deserved to be in the discussion.

I'm not sure I can name better alternatives off the top of my head but Chris Smalling continually getting called up is baffling.

Scott Dann has been pretty solid for "them up the road", John Stones would have been in if not on U21 duty, Lescott has been brilliant since xmas, but is the wrong side of 30...... Steve Cook at Bournemouth??

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Kane should be in the senior squad. Ridiculous decision to put him in U21s.

30 goals this season - complete no brainer.

Hodgson OUT!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Sorry but i wll never accept that Rob Green is good enough for England - he shouldn't be in the squad and arguably should never have won a single cap IMO

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Hodgson OUT!

The thought process is that Kane will get much more from experiencing tournment football than he will in a friendly and a game against limited opposition.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Scott Dann has been pretty solid for "them up the road", John Stones would have been in if not on U21 duty, Lescott has been brilliant since xmas, but is the wrong side of 30...... Steve Cook at Bournemouth??

Age is an awful indicator for a defender. Look at John Terry. Experience and anticipation are far more important than any physical ability that may or may not start to wane with age.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Hodgson OUT!
I think both he and Stones are in that squad for the match experience rather than the 'squad experience' they'd likely get in the senior team.

I'm actually surprised Barkley is in the senior team if I'm honest. Great player, could do with the same experience I reckon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here