Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 1st Test: England vs New Zealand @ Lords

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
England Squad
AN Cook*, MM Ali, JM Anderson, GS Ballance, IR Bell, SCJ Broad, JC Buttler†, CJ Jordan, A Lyth, JE Root, BA Stokes, MA Wood

New Zealand Squad
BB McCullum*, CJ Anderson, TA Boult, DAJ Bracewell, MD Craig, MJ Guptill, MJ Henry, TWM Latham, L Ronchi†, HD Rutherford, TG Southee, LRPL Taylor, N Wagner, BJ Watling, KS Williamson

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can't see Wood starting ahead of Jordan. Other than that, can't really argue for that being as strong an England side as we can select at the moment.

If Cook wants to put all the controversy behind him, needs a big score in this match. NZ well up for improving their test status and getting longer series. Going to be an enthralling couple of tests I think.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Adam Lyth has propelled himself into the England reckoning (and his debut today) courtesy of a superb run of form at the top of Yorkshire's order during their 2014 County Championship title win.
1,489 championship runs, including six centuries, at an average of 67.68 made the Whitby-born player the next man in line once Jonathan Trott announced his retirement from international cricket.
Potential next England head coach Jason Gillespie can take some of the credit for the 27-year-old's rise. In 2013, Yorkshire's Australian head coach told Lyth he was 'nowhere near' the England team. It was the kick Lyth needed and he has quickly put that right. Once seen as an aggressive stroke-playing modern opener, he has now added grit and stubbornness to his game.

NAILED ON for a duck then.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
On paper this should be a great series between 2 evenly matched teams.

However, New Zealand have all the momentum with them and a strong dynamic captain, I have a fear that's going to be enough to see us off.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well there's the first one

Lyth c Watling b Southee 7

17/1

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, unlucky there Lyth. Very good delivery, he played it on the right line, decent position, barely brushed the bat. Not sure he could do a lot differently with that other than miss it through not being as good!

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Oh dear. Looks like my 89/3 at lunch might have been a tad ambitious!

Ballance c Southee b Boult 1

Eng 25/2

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ballance not so unlucky, got back in his crease then trying to drive, caught at 3rd slip for 1.

I had built up some optimism for the summer recently. It lasted 45mins...:cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here