Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hemiplegic migraines

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Since we are on off season and no transfer activity is going on, since the election is over and the EU referendum is next year. I thought I would ask for expert advice :) from fellow Albion fans. Does any fellow Albion fans suffer from them and what medication do they take.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Is there another kind of migraine?

The etymology of 'migraine' is ancient Greek hemi-, 'half', and kranion, 'skull'.
So the (usually) unilateral nature of the headaches is a diagnostic sign from of old.

My daughter is a martyr to them -- she makes do with a caffeine-and-acetaminophen over-the-counter pill.
The listed side effects of some of the prescription meds she finds intimidating.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Is there another kind of migraine?

The etymology of 'migraine' is ancient Greek hemi-, 'half', and kranion, 'skull'.
So the (usually) unilateral nature of the headaches is a diagnostic sign from of old.

My daughter is a martyr to them -- she makes do with a caffeine-and-acetaminophen over-the-counter pill.
The listed side effects of some of the prescription meds she finds intimidating.

For your information

Hemiplegic migraine is referred to as a “migraine variant”. The word hemiplegic simply means paralysis on one side of the body. A person with hemiplegic migraine will experience a temporary weakness on one side of their body as part of their migraine attack. This can involve the face, arm or leg and be accompanied by numbness, or pins and needles. The person may experience speech difficulties, vision problems or confusion. This can be a frightening experience for the individual as these symptoms are similar to those of a stroke.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I suffered some bad head pains a couple of years ago. They felt like somebody had hit me over the head as hard as they could with an axe. The intense head ache and sickness lasted about 4 hours. I had these for two days running and doc referred me to hospital and was put in ICU. Anyway, the consultant then said I was experiencing cluster migraines and that they would stop just as they started. Never had another one since.
So, it would appear that there are variants of migraine.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
For your information

Hemiplegic migraine is referred to as a “migraine variant”. The word hemiplegic simply means paralysis on one side of the body. A person with hemiplegic migraine will experience a temporary weakness on one side of their body as part of their migraine attack. This can involve the face, arm or leg and be accompanied by numbness, or pins and needles. The person may experience speech difficulties, vision problems or confusion. This can be a frightening experience for the individual as these symptoms are similar to those of a stroke.

Those symptoms are pretty dramatic -- is the mechanism the same as that for 'ordinary' migraines? All my daughter has is the usual -- nausea, photophobia, prostration, etc....

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I've suffered with migraine all my life, I'm 48 and have had them since the age of 9yrs old.
From sometimes 2 or 3 a week when I was young to maybe 7 to 8 a year as I got older.
Now here's a thing, I had open heart and lung surgery last June and they discovered a few holes on the heart which they sutured up while they were doing the surgery. I wasn't having surgery for holes in the heart, they said they'd sort that out while I was having the op.
Now, 2 months later I had to go for an echo and the cardiologist asked if I'd ever had headaches so I told him about migraine history.
He said that 30% of the population have holes in the heart and that is the main cause why people have migraine and said that now the holes have been taken care of, I might find I don't get them anymore.
Well, I haven't had a migraine since surgery so almost a year.
Amazing!

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Those symptoms are pretty dramatic -- is the mechanism the same as that for 'ordinary' migraines? All my daughter has is the usual -- nausea, photophobia, prostration, etc....

I have been hospitalised 3 times since Feb. They thought they were TIA's mini strokes

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I suffer from these *******s,thankfully I only get one every Year or so,went to the Doctors a few years back when I suffered 3 in a 6 month period,I was prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg. tablets which I take as soon as I feel an attack coming on,they have proved very effective but you can kiss the day goodbye when you take them as they make you very drowsy and MUST NOT drive etc.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I suffer from these *******s,thankfully I only get one every Year or so,went to the Doctors a few years back when I suffered 3 in a 6 month period,I was prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg. tablets which I take as soon as I feel an attack coming on,they have proved very effective but you can kiss the day goodbye when you take them as they make you very drowsy and MUST NOT drive etc.

cheers mister.

My daughter got migraines for years when she was a child, debilitating they were.

After years of tests and trial and error eliminating every single thing she ate it boiled down to nothing more than Apples.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I've suffered with migraine all my life, I'm 48 and have had them since the age of 9yrs old.
From sometimes 2 or 3 a week when I was young to maybe 7 to 8 a year as I got older.
Now here's a thing, I had open heart and lung surgery last June and they discovered a few holes on the heart which they sutured up while they were doing the surgery. I wasn't having surgery for holes in the heart, they said they'd sort that out while I was having the op.
Now, 2 months later I had to go for an echo and the cardiologist asked if I'd ever had headaches so I told him about migraine history.
He said that 30% of the population have holes in the heart and that is the main cause why people have migraine and said that now the holes have been taken care of, I might find I don't get them anymore.
Well, I haven't had a migraine since surgery so almost a year.
Amazing!

Just wow...... Have just had an occipital nerve block today as I think they are linked to prolapsed discs in my neck..... Really interested in the hole in the heart theory.

In terms of pain relief I take sumatriptin, but the GP recommended only 1 or 2 a month.......

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Just wow...... Have just had an occipital nerve block today as I think they are linked to prolapsed discs in my neck..... Really interested in the hole in the heart theory.

In terms of pain relief I take sumatriptin, but the GP recommended only 1 or 2 a month.......

That is what triggered everything off a nerve root in l4 l5 :( 4 days later I had a TIA then 7-8 hemiplegic migraines. Yours will be absolutely fine :thumbsup:

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

Cardio said most people don't know they have holes in their heart and go thru life normally.
I'd ask for a TOE test , transophegal echocardiogram, basically a camera into the heart put down your throat.
Painless procedure and they just knock you out a bit,
They can repair any holes by plugging then up using a catheter under local anesthetic.
They only did it another way for me as my chest was going to be opened up.
It could be your migraine are caused by holes that you're totally unaware of.
At least speak to your gp about the procedure.
This came from the head cardio consultant by the way

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I'm 68 and had real migraine on and off since I was 12. The hole in the heart thing is interesting, but I thought it had been disproved. Basically there has not been any steps forward in treatment since I was a Child, I've tried them all.
Strangely when the headache arrives, usually after all the other debilitating stuff, I have learned to live with it as the headache is a sign that to me, things are improving. Don't let anyone tell you Migraine is just a headache.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That is what triggered everything off a nerve root in l4 l5 :( 4 days later I had a TIA then 7-8 hemiplegic migraines. Yours will be absolutely fine :thumbsup:

Errr, thanks for that. Had L5 removed about 5 years ago, my problems eminate from C5 and C6. [emoji4]

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Ive suffered with Migraine since about 14. Get roughlt one per month and usually in bed for 1 - 2 days then have the 2 days of feeling generally rubbish. My work collegues dont get it and ive had to print off fact sheets to give them an idea of what i go through.

hate them so much. I have stopped drinking caffiene, i rarely drink any booze, have chocolate once a week, had all kinds of tests and still get them.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I suffered some bad head pains a couple of years ago. They felt like somebody had hit me over the head as hard as they could with an axe. The intense head ache and sickness lasted about 4 hours. I had these for two days running and doc referred me to hospital and was put in ICU. Anyway, the consultant then said I was experiencing cluster migraines and that they would stop just as they started. Never had another one since.
So, it would appear that there are variants of migraine.
There are indeed , I get 'visual' migraines, no pain at all but my vision has spots like tv interference, my girlfriend gets severe migraines , and uses an otc pill which helps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are indeed , I get 'visual' migraines, no pain at all but my vision has spots like tv interference, my girlfriend gets severe migraines , and uses an otc pill which helps.

Being with you going on all the time I bet she does :lolol:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have episodes that the medic called migraines. No pain but brain is Fogged so cannot think clearly. Bad ones have loss of speech and word recognition . They leave a dull headache afterward though .

I already was taking epilepsy medication so he prescribed a further one, Epilim... Still get them though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here