Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay cake row.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Now that the complainant has won his case and his fifteen minutes of fame, will he carry on his campaign against bigotry by commissioning a small bakery run by a devout Muslim family to produce a similar cake? And what might the outcome be?

Similarly, what might be the outcome if a Christian run bakery refused to bake a cake celebrating IS, or a Muslim run bakery refused to make a cake celebrating Zionism and the Jewish settlements in the West Bank? This seems like a very flawed judgement to me.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What a waste of taxpayers money.
Just go to another cake shop and don't shop there again, quite simple.

Why is enforcing the law a "waste of money" ? Many people go to court every day for a variety of offences and the cost often outweighs the amount of money spent bringing the prosecution; should we abandon every prosecution if it's not going to bring in a profit ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Now that the complainant has won his case and his fifteen minutes of fame, will he carry on his campaign against bigotry by commissioning a small bakery run by a devout Muslim family to produce a similar cake? And what might the outcome be?

Similarly, what might be the outcome if a Christian run bakery refused to bake a cake celebrating IS, or a Muslim run bakery refused to make a cake celebrating Zionism and the Jewish settlements in the West Bank? This seems like a very flawed judgement to me.

Well said. This was a complete waste of taxpayers' money.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You have a point apart from IS who are deemed a terrorist organisation so I would expect no one should worry about turning that request down. Maybe if there is a muslim cake shop in northern ireland then he could approach them. That said, the bakers lawyer was suggesting a muslim shop would have to bake a cake with the image of Mohammad on it. Good luck with ordering that one!!

As for the principle, surely everyone agrees that if you open your doors to the public trade then you can't discriminate as to who comes in and places an order.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Well said. This was a complete waste of taxpayers' money.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What an idiot baker - £500 all for the sake of not decorating a cake. I'm sure he'd be up in arms if I was a baker and refused to decorate a christening cake for him because I disagree with religion.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is it a fairy cake?

I'll get my wings

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Surely the chap could have just said he was too busy and couldn't accept the order as couldn't guarantee would be ready on time.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Surely the chap could have just said he was too busy and couldn't accept the order as couldn't guarantee would be ready on time.

Don't Christians believe they will burn in hell if they lie ?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
As for the principle, surely everyone agrees that if you open your doors to the public trade then you can't discriminate as to who comes in and places an order.

That's not what appears to have happened here though. The supplier has not refused to serve the customer, on the contrary, it says that it would have been pleased to serve them. The issue here appears to be fulfilment (or not) of a particular order.

In my view, this is more complex than the case of the gay couple taking the Bed & Breakfast to court who refused to allow them to stay.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
That's not what appears to have happened here though. The supplier has not refused to serve the customer, on the contrary, it says that it would have been pleased to serve them. The issue here appears to be fulfilment (or not) of a particular order.

In my view, this is more complex than the case of the gay couple taking the Bed & Breakfast to court who refused to allow them to stay.

And here comes my breach of Human Rights and i can't move on,i am suffering flashbacks,but 500K might make me better.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

The technicalities might be different but the principle is the same, ie whether you refuse to provide a service or refuse to provide the service the customer wants. In the B&B case, wasn't it that they could stay but that they couldn't share a bed because they weren't married, a rule that the owners applied to heterosexual couples as well (although I'm not sure how they could tell other than taking the word of the guests!).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Opened the thread thinking it was about two gay fellas arguing over the last fondant fancy :facepalm:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Says it all about this country, refuse to bake a cake for a couple of woofters and end up in court, put out tweets saying 'kill all white men' and you MAY lose your job as a DIVERSITY officer.......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here