Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fenelon leaving - The right decision?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I've got a sneaky feeling this is another decision that's going to come back to bite us. It's interesting to note that other Championship sides are showing an interest in Fenelon's availability. He always struck me as having a lot of potential. Since we've spent a lot of time and energy in developing him as a player, it might have been worthwhile offering him a 1 year contract to see how he panned out next season? It wouldn't have cost us a lot and we're not exactly overrun with options when it comes to strikers.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/19/brighton-to-let-shamir-fenelon-leave-on-free-transfer/?

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Only seen him a few times and have to say that showed nothing to suggest he would make it a championship level. Could be wrong but I suspect more share this view than don't.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hasnt shown the slightest hint that he will make a championship player. So for everybodys sake it is the right descision. He may get fixed up in Div 2 or possibly even Div 1.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And even if it did blow up spectacularly in the Albion's face, at least the club can rely on it's fans being level headed about it.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
He failed to make an impression at numerous lower division clubs - probably the right decision

To be fair, I don't think JFC pulled up any trees at Oxford Utd but it hasn't stopped us persevering with him.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I've got a sneaky feeling this is another decision that's going to come back to bite us. It's interesting to note that other Championship sides are showing an interest in Fenelon's availability. He always struck me as having a lot of potential. Since we've spent a lot of time and energy in developing him as a player, it might have been worthwhile offering him a 1 year contract to see how he panned out next season? It wouldn't have cost us a lot and we're not exactly overrun with options when it comes to strikers.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/19/brighton-to-let-shamir-fenelon-leave-on-free-transfer/?

Does that site have any credibility? The article was posted 6 hours ago, and includes this sentence:-

HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club that Brighton and Hove Albion striker Shamir Fenelon is to leave this summer.

I presume, then, that their source "close to the club" is the Seagulls official site, which announced 5 days ago that Fenelon was being released? :rolleyes:

If that is the extent of their journalistic expertise, I would take their assertion that other Championship clubs are ready to offer Fenelon a deal with a big pinch of salt.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
And even if it did blow up spectacularly in the Albion's face, at least the club can rely on it's fans being level headed about it.

Yep - as per messrs Cook and Elphick.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It looks as if I am in a minority in rating Fenelon. I'll take great delight in bouncing this thread at the end of next season when he has scored a hatfull of goals for another Championship or League 1 club.:smile:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All I've seen of Fenelon was on the opening day when Hyypia threw him into the starting lineup v Sheff Weds, and unsurprisingly, he looked completely out of his depth. The fact we later recalled him from Rochdale because they weren't playing him speaks for itself. He's nowhere near ready.

Unfortunately as a club, we simply do not produce strikers. Never have.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It looks as if I am in a minority in rating Fenelon. I'll take great delight in bouncing this thread at the end of next season when he has scored a hatfull of goals for another Championship or League 1 club.:smile:
Honestly don't think we need to worry about that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

would have been worth keeping for another year

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Most probably the correct decision. Wish him well in his future career.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Why? Neither is anywhere near good enough to hack it in the Prem. Just like Fenelon isn't a Championship player.

You may be surprised. We'll see.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
If only the club had a crystal ball to see what will happen to players in the future.

Alas.......we have to rely on the club's judgement. I've no doubt they'll get more things right than wrong this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only the club had a crystal ball to see what will happen to players in the future.
It has, it's got, never say you were wrong NSC, we can take hindsight and backdate it into 'I always said...' FACT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here