Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toronto - Good place to emigrate?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Hi all,

My girlfriend has been offered a promotion in Toronto and I'd like to know what it's like. If you have been there I would appreciate your opinion, especially if you have lived/live there.

For a bit of background, I currently live in Hong Kong and I'm very happy here, but this is a great opportunity for the other half.

Cheers!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I hope so, I'm moving there myself in September :thumbsup:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
A truly great city. Only downside are the cold winters but dress appropriately and enjoy the snow and ice. The folk who live there are very welcoming too plus some of the best food I have ever eaten in North America.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A truly great city. Only downside are the cold winters but dress appropriately and enjoy the snow and ice. The folk who live there are very welcoming too plus some of the best food I have ever eaten in North America.

At least they're prepared for the cold winter. Everyone sticks winter tyres on their cars and you're only an hour away from some decent ski hills. You're right, Canadians are incredibly welcoming and most of the ones I've met seem to be genuinely happy and wanting to enjoy life.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Why are you in Hong Kong, and what will the move mean for your career?
This is one of my biggest concerns if I'm honest. My current employers were good enough to move me from Brighton to Hong Kong originally because of my girlfriend, asking again is going to be tough. I've had a look at current job availability out there and it doesn't look good, and if I had to leave my current employer/role it would involve a significant pay decrease given the package I'm currently in and the low taxes here.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm also hoping to head out to the Great White North later this year.
The two main factors here (aside from your partner) are Salary and Weather.

It sounds like you'll earn less, but what's the cost of living like in Hong Kong?
It'll be 'effing cold in Toronto 6 months out of the year. However, long weekends in Boston, NYC and Montreal.
I'd pick Toronto.

Tim Hortons = Win

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
My wife's sister emigrated to Calgary 2 years ago and has never regretted it.
Despite the weather being cold for 6 months a year the country does not grind to a halt.
Went and stayed last year and would move at a drop of a hat given the chance....

Tim Hortons say no more....

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
This is one of my biggest concerns if I'm honest. My current employers were good enough to move me from Brighton to Hong Kong originally because of my girlfriend, asking again is going to be tough. I've had a look at current job availability out there and it doesn't look good, and if I had to leave my current employer/role it would involve a significant pay decrease given the package I'm currently in and the low taxes here.
Are you still with Amex? I know someone who recently relocated Brighton to Toronto, can PM you their details if you want.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very good of you to move to Hong Kong for her. If your current employers allow you to move again, I say go for it, it will be fun. But if not, you run the risk of moving to a foreign country and not having a job, and I don't think that's a good idea. If you can't get a job there, u could well be unhappy and it could ruin your relationship.

How long can they wait before they need an answer from your girlfriend? I know places would normally want a quick decision, but they must accept it's a big upheaval, and should give her a fair bit of time. Use that time to ask your employer, and see if there's anything else there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here