Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adrian Colunga . . . Coluld he be the missing link?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As Brian Owen said in this morning's edition of the Argus, could a rich source of goals already be on Albion's books?

I've often wondered if Adrian Colunga was farmed out on loan prematurely. spending the greater part of last season at Granada. He didn't seem to fit into Sami Hyypia's strange system, and was always used sparingly, but for me, whenever he did play, he always seemed to have goals in him. It's true that he hasn't exactly set the world on fire with his performances whilst playing in Spain, but that could well be down to troublesome injury problems.

I have a nagging feeling, that should we decide to keep him, a fully fit Colunga, with a good pre-season behind him, could come up with quite a few goals, particularly if played just behind a new target man.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Didn't he leave because he was homesick? He was played out of position when he was here though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I like him. Technically head and shoulders above most of our players. Chris Hughton won't like him though, because he takes risks - runs at people.

Much better to have someone who we'll 'work hard and keep their shape'.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Didn't he leave because he was homesick? He was played out of position when he was here though.

Which is getting to be the same old story - manager after manager fitting players into their preferred system rather than finding a system that suits our players.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Which is getting to be the same old story - manager after manager fitting players into their preferred system rather than finding a system that suits our players.

To be fair to Hughton though, his system has been proven to work in this division. I think the issue has been more the recruitment setup have sought players who don't suit the managers tactics.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
He didn't have the best of times Granada either did he? Not for me I'm afraid, I didn't see enough from him to convince he had the ability or the mindset to be a reliable source of goals.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
He didn't have the best of times Granada either did he? Not for me I'm afraid, I didn't see enough from him to convince he had the ability or the mindset to be a reliable source of goals.

He's already proved himself in La Liga before this season hence why Granada signed him. Since he went there, he's either been injured or suspended (picked up a red card) which is why it hasn't worked out for him.

I'd have him back.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He'd likely have been our top scorer had he stayed so happy if he comes back. We do seem rigidly committed to 4-2-3-1 though and I don't see him playing as a lone front man though, so whether it'd work or not, I'm not so sure.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
As Brian Owen said in this morning's edition of the Argus, could a rich source of goals already be on Albion's books?

I've often wondered if Adrian Colunga was farmed out on loan prematurely. spending the greater part of last season at Granada. He didn't seem to fit into Sami Hyypia's strange system, and was always used sparingly, but for me, whenever he did play, he always seemed to have goals in him. It's true that he hasn't exactly set the world on fire with his performances whilst playing in Spain, but that could well be down to troublesome injury problems.

I have a nagging feeling, that should we decide to keep him, a fully fit Colunga, with a good pre-season behind him, could come up with quite a few goals, particularly if played just behind a new target man.

Our best buy last summer. My man of the match when he played attacking mid-fielder. Takes a good pen. Played well with Bent, getting passes to him quickly. He's our man lets keep him.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Yes I liked him. He was our top scoring forward only played half a season and then sparingly. Played out of position and I suspect the reason he did not settle. Same type of player as Baldock but much better in my opinion. My issue under Sami was that no-one had a settled run in the side and were played out of position. I hope that Hughton does not do the same because at times this season he looked as if he was going in that direction two. Get a couple of decent strikers in and play them together consistently and hopefully the goals will come. All the teams that did well last season had a settled side. God knows how many players played for us last season. Just as well we changed the design of the shirts and could see their names. There was always someone being dropped after having a good game. Usually Ince, and i remember Holla had his best game for us and the following game was dropped from the squad completely. What does that do for a players confidence. Lets hope Chris gets who he wants and we can look forward to watching a settled and winning side.

FRYG

Bexhill Seagull
Apr 13, 2011
Bexhill
Will never happen but a front three of Baldock, Colunga both playing off a target man (and running into the channels) with a midfield three of Stephens, Ince & Kayal doesn't sound too bad in my opinion.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Will never happen but a front three of Baldock, Colunga both playing off a target man (and running into the channels) with a midfield three of Stephens, Ince & Kayal doesn't sound too bad in my opinion.

Sounds good, with Lua Lua and a fast right winger to come on as subs for the last 30 minutes if needed.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Big fan, was very dissapointed when he was loaned out. As previously been said can't see him being a hughton type player though. Shame both colunga and holla were not here under Oscar.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
If Hughton wants to carry on with the target main / main striker type through the middle and another forward out wide, he fits the latter role perfectly IMHO.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here