Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electric cooker- how much to fit?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Lower powered ovens can plug into the ring main, others will need their own power supply.

Short answer if you're replacing like with like go ahead yourself, otherwise consider a sparky.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I had a new oven fitted, like for like, earlier this month. Paid £40, it involved wiring directly into a box in the kitchen. Can PM sparky details if required. Jim

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
No reply but anyway here goes. I did my own recently.
If replacing like for like then it is pretty simple. Tools you will need is an allen key plus screwdrivers.
Firstly go to the main fuse box and locate the 'oven' it should be marked. Turn it off. Return to the oven and check it is off. There is also an oven mains switch in the kitchen, turn this off as well. Turn BOTH off not just one.
Take out the old oven and remove the mains cables from the back. These will be reused so do not cut. Write down the colour coding, red or brown is LIVE black or blue is NEUTRAL green is EARTH.
Now check the new wiring. Ensure all cables are put into the correct fixing.
Some ovens have a metal plate that needs to be checked. Instructions will be written down somewhere.
Remember these cables may have to last 15 plus years so ensure good fix.
Quick check that the oven is working by switching back on all the fuses and job done.

Couple of things. Currys charge about £110 to do this job. Some Euronics stores fit for free and take away the old unit.

Warning. I'm not a qualified electrician and if you have any doubts then please call someone on check-a-trade or similar site.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Paid £35 for a straight replacement last October. Happy to pay a qualified sparky, get it properly tested, and get a certificate.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Paid £35 for a straight replacement last October. Happy to pay a qualified sparky, get it properly tested, and get a certificate.

THIS
I'm an ex sparky who could rewire a house back in the 80's but time moves on. I paid a plumber £65 to replace a dripping pipe last month. 30 minutes work but something I was not comfortable at doing myself.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here