Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kindle vs Kindle paperwhite

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm considering upgrading from my 4th gen kindle (with buttons) to a paperwhite as it has a backlit screen for reading in darker conditions. Anyone done this, and is it really worth it as in my view the device is overpriced and there are few discounts around?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
The paperwhite is a really good bit of kit - personally I would say it's worth it (although there's nothing wrong with the previous models)
I upgraded mine a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
My parents both got Paperwhites, Mum upgraded from a Sony reader and Dad from a previous Kindle, both are delighted with them.

£89 for a refurbished one on Amazon. Pretty decent price if you read a lot.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The paperwhite is a really good bit of kit - personally I would say it's worth it (although there's nothing wrong with the previous models)
I upgraded mine a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it
Have you found the touchscreen irritating? Personally I love tech but when I tried my mother in law's kindle touch I realised I preferred the physical buttons. Do you get many 'false' page turns?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
£89 for a refurbished one on Amazon. Pretty decent price if you read a lot.

Just found Tesco are doing it for that price using an online voucher code. It's still pretty annoying as a few months ago there were deals aplenty with up to 50 quid knocked off the price.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Have you found the touchscreen irritating? Personally I love tech but when I tried my mother in law's kindle touch I realised I preferred the physical buttons. Do you get many 'false' page turns?
I'm also the owner of a paperwhite (godsend when travelling for work) and I did have my doubts about the touchscreen element initially but I genuinely can't think of any situations where I've had a dodgy page turn that wasn't caused by my own innate clumsiness.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Not a regular event but false page turns do occur. I find this usually happens if looking up the meaning of a word or a footnote if this is close to the bottom of the kindle. Doesnt distract from my enjoyment however.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What those analogue Kindle things from before Facebook?

Yes, that's them. They sometimes came with a bit of card/cloth/chord etc that you could use to remember where you were. And they didn't need charging/batteries. A marvelously simple bit of kit.

I do agree with this, though I wouldn't give up the kindle now either, far too handy.

Do you prefer to read your Kindle or a book at home? Being in the trade, I have noticed that many people are returning to books after a brief love-in with their Kindle.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

This is exactly what my wife complains about. I have stuck with the old style kindle.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Do you prefer to read your Kindle or a book at home? Being in the trade, I have noticed that many people are returning to books after a brief love-in with their Kindle.

I've always read books at home and I can't ever see that changing if I'm honest.

The kindle was a purchase made when I moved into a new job a year or two ago which had a fair bit of travel attached. It's been immensely useful since then.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I've always read books at home and I can't ever see that changing if I'm honest.

The kindle was a purchase made when I moved into a new job a year or two ago which had a fair bit of travel attached. It's been immensely useful since then.

That's what I am hearing more and more - that people take Kindles with them when travelling but don't tend to use them at home. Have also have a few people returning to books because their Kindle kept breaking and they were fed up with having to get it fixed or upgrade - there was an article a while ago about how they only have an average working life of 14 months or so, which is ridiculous.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
That's what I am hearing more and more - that people take Kindles with them when travelling but don't tend to use them at home. Have also have a few people returning to books because their Kindle kept breaking and they were fed up with having to get it fixed or upgrade - there was an article a while ago about how they only have an average working life of 14 months or so, which is ridiculous.
That doesn't surprise me really (well, the 14 month part does).

I think most people that buy a Kindle are going to be fairly heavy readers already, which tends to come with a long-standing love of books.

That said, I do wonder whether the next generation of readers will see things differently. My son, for example, is going to grow up in a very different environment to me in that he'll be able to read a book using all manner of devices (phone, kindle, tablet) so he may not form the attachment to books that I did. Either way, I'd imagine old school books are safe for a while yet.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think the 14 month thing is probably due to the fact that they tend to be transported all over. I sling mine into a bag for work and it does take q little punishment. I can't imagine a book surviving long in similar circumstances. I absolutely love books, and until I bought a kindle, I thought I'd never be weaned from the old fashioned physical form but I enjoy the convenience of the e reader and have not found the experience inferior. The dictionary function can also be a godsend. I believe the paperwhite has upgraded functions in that respect also.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I bought a kindle when they first came into the country - what was that 6 or 7 years ago and it still works fine. I only upgraded to the paperwhite as it was lighter.
The fact that you can take a whole fortnight's reading away with you in one tiny package works for me as half my suitcase used to be stuffed with paperbacks !
Having said that I still buy actual books and have hundreds at home but I tend to buy hardback books of biographies or reference books and buy the cheap trashy paperbacks on the Kindle now
I've not found any problem with the "false page turns" only my own clumsiness

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
That doesn't surprise me really (well, the 14 month part does).

I think most people that buy a Kindle are going to be fairly heavy readers already, which tends to come with a long-standing love of books.

That said, I do wonder whether the next generation of readers will see things differently. My son, for example, is going to grow up in a very different environment to me in that he'll be able to read a book using all manner of devices (phone, kindle, tablet) so he may not form the attachment to books that I did. Either way, I'd imagine old school books are safe for a while yet.

I can see that Kindles have their place.

The thing about the next generation I am seeing is that many do not read - many times I have kids in the shop saying that they do not need to read the book as they have already seen the film, for example. I also have parents in the shop giving their kids a choice - do they want to buy a book or go to the chocolate dipping shop - the kids want both but they cannot have both, so they choose the chocolate, which is very sad. That said, I have some kids around here that I struggle to keep up with as they are voracious readers.

I cannot see the printed form dying out really (more and more shops will close), but they will not die out altogether. People cannot look at a screen all day (book reader, tv, computer, phone, playstation etc), although i am sure many give it a good go!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

The thing about the next generation I am seeing is that many do not read - many times I have kids in the shop saying that they do not need to read the book as they have already seen the film, for example.

And how many times is a film better than a book. Almost never in my experience.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

The thing about the next generation I am seeing is that many do not read - many times I have kids in the shop saying that they do not need to read the book as they have already seen the film, for example. I also have parents in the shop giving their kids a choice - do they want to buy a book or go to the chocolate dipping shop - the kids want both but they cannot have both, so they choose the chocolate, which is very sad. That said, I have some kids around here that I struggle to keep up with as they are voracious readers.

I cannot see the printed form dying out really (more and more shops will close), but they will not die out altogether. People cannot look at a screen all day (book reader, tv, computer, phone, playstation etc), although i am sure many give it a good go!

I think that the attitude of the parents towards reading is likely to be the key as to whether a child takes an interest in it or not.

In the example in your post, I can't imagine a situation where either myself or my girlfriend (also a big reader), money permitting, wouldn't buy the little 'un the book as it'd hopefully encourage him to enjoy it as much as we do.

I would genuinely love to own a book shop, however, in the current climate I'd want to make sure I wasn't financially dependent on it as it'd be run as a labour of love more than anything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here