Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teresa May and her Counter Terrorism Bill

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Does this strike anyone else as being all about stopping the proletariat from revolting before the shit hits the pan. For instance when the animal activists kick off about the retraction of the fox hunting ban, and the human rights groups kick off about their data getting mined and the Human Rights Act being scrapped. Do the police not have enough laws to arrest someone expected of terrorism? This legislation is inevitably going to end up with environmentalists etc. banned from making a public speach because they said a nasty thing about the Conservatives (they will be able to find this out with the extension to the Snoopers Bill).

It's all a bit 1984 isn't it, is this what people voted for? By the time the years out we're not going to be able to have a free thought in this country before getting slapped down by someone.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
is this what people voted for?

No. Of course not.

People voted to stick it to malingering collectors of disability benefits, dole swindlers, unmarried mothers, asylum-seekers, and foreigners generally.

So long as that happens, who cares what in the way of rights and immunities goes down the pan?

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I read the thread title and thought it was a new viz strip where Theresa May has all sorts of public order related scrapes.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's all a bit 1984 isn't it, is this what people voted for? By the time the years out we're not going to be able to have a free thought in this country before getting slapped down by someone.

you may have slightly wet the bed,but only a dribble

No one ever in the history of mankind has been able to suppress free thought,....freedom of expression however is a different kettle of fish

i know and you know those thoughts that go on in our heads can never be suppressed by those who would have you thinking only according to their beliefs........no matter how hard they try in this endeavour they will always fail

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

Don't be silly. The act is about terrorism, and specifically about preventing British people who traveled to Syria from returning to the UK unimpeded.

Find me where in the act it tells you that you're not allowed a free thought.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Don't be silly. The act is about terrorism, and specifically about preventing British people who traveled to Syria from returning to the UK unimpeded.

Find me where in the act it tells you that you're not allowed a free thought.
It's not just about terrorism though is it, it's about anything the Government care to define as 'extremism' or 'anti-demographic'.

It allows the police to hand out 'disruption orders' to anyone who is being 'harmful' I.E anyone thought to be “a risk of public disorder, a risk of harassment, alarm or distress or creating a ‘threat to the functioning of democracy’.

So don't tell me it's just about counter terrorism because peaceful protests could easily come under that banner. It will be used to criminalise people who are criticising tbe Government.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's not just about terrorism though is it, it's about anything the Government care to define as 'extremism' or 'anti-demographic'.

It allows the police to hand out 'disruption orders' to anyone who is being 'harmful' I.E anyone thought to be “a risk of public disorder, a risk of harassment, alarm or distress or creating a ‘threat to the functioning of democracy’.

So don't tell me it's just about counter terrorism because peaceful protests could easily come under that banner. It will be used to criminalise people who are criticising tbe Government.

but you said "By the time the years out we're not going to be able to have a free thought"........do you believe this or are you just deliberately trying to scare people

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

Are those quotations taken from the act? I can't find them.

Surely if the protest is peaceful then by definition there is not a risk of public disorder, etc...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...It allows the police to hand out 'disruption orders' to anyone who is being 'harmful' I.E anyone thought to be “a risk of public disorder, a risk of harassment, alarm or distress or creating a ‘threat to the functioning of democracy’.

criticising the the government is a part of democracy. planning a march is part of democracy. planning to say blockade or riot outside Parliament is public disorder. do you see the difference? which one do you want to allow, which one would you like prevented? though as usual, the authorities already have these powers, they just want them restated in a new piece of law.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
criticising the the government is a part of democracy. planning a march is part of democracy. planning to say blockade or riot outside Parliament is public disorder. do you see the difference? which one do you want to allow, which one would you like prevented? though as usual, the authorities already have these powers, they just want them restated in a new piece of law.

What's the point of "restating" and existing law?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Haven't they got better and more important things to do like repeal fox-hunting?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here