Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

raheem sterling to ask to leave liverpool this summer

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
If true, this says a lot about the state of modern football & young footballers. Which is: they are only in it for themselves & the money

100k a week to play regularly or go & bench warm somewhere else for more money. it could Possibly be another classic how to ruin your career move.

Hopefully not for him - & England, but for me, what a jumped up little twerp who doesn't know how good he's got it.

Who's with me? Or disagrees?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i recall reading he had a discipline problem at QPR: he kept playing football with the kids in the street, and they were worried he'd get injured. i hope this is poor advisors rather than a 20 yo wanting north of 100k pw to play football.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Sadly, I'm with you on this one.
He's barely started playing the game, won nothing and like any youngster, drifts in and out of games. He is lauded in the media and by numerous football watchers as a wonder kid, the new global superstar, where in fact, he is pretty ordinary at present. In time, he may develop into a top player but he is a long way off that at present.
Because of the lack of emerging talent around, a bandwagon has grown up around this lad and his agent has persuaded him that they can make a load of money, very quickly. Last season, when Liverpool were flying ( aided almost entirely by Saurez ) the pressure was taken off him. Now his team has returned to the ranks of the pretty average, he is being exposed. He is not mature enough to step up to the plate and has been found wanting. His agent isn't daft. He knows that the pressure on his player to perform at Liverpool is ramping up all the time and fans are starting to lose patience with him. Why not cash in your chips early before his stock starts to fall. It doesn't matter if he is warming the bench at another club, there is money in the bank. He can worry about winning things later.
In short, he is the most hyped-up, overrated young player of this generation and I genuinely believe that he is going to struggle to live up to expectation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder what mode of transport all the people who'd forgo an EXTRA £200,000 a month, for at least 36 months, just for the good of their long term career, would travel in?

A 747 - no.
A Bus - no.
A taxi - no.
A tandem - no.
A unicycle - er no.

Hate the game not the player.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I wonder what mode of transport all the people who'd forgo an EXTRA £200,000 a month, for at least 36 months, just for the good of their long term career, would travel in?

A 747 - no.
A Bus - no.
A taxi - no.
A tandem - no.
A unicycle - er no.

Hate the game not the player.

The game is rotten to the core and the news that FFP rules are being relaxed just sickens me. Billions are pouring into football, a product that the salesmen and marketeers say is watched and loved all over the world. And yet those of us who watch it regularly know that the standard is declining and that players are getting greedier and lazier. The real hunger has disappeared from the game. Players do just enough to get by now and will cheat their way out of any situation.
There is very little value for money in football. Overpriced entertainment. Overpaid and overrated players, overpriced tickets, overpriced merchandise and food and drink. A select few are feeding at the trough of largesse and enjoying life, thank you very much. Fans have been conned into believing that it has never been better and those that wouldn't know a football if it smacked em full in the face, fall fully into the trap. It is the global game because any simpleton can understand it but its a game that is taking more and more and giving back less and less.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Sadly, I'm with you on this one.
He's barely started playing the game, won nothing and like any youngster, drifts in and out of games. He is lauded in the media and by numerous football watchers as a wonder kid, the new global superstar, where in fact, he is pretty ordinary at present. In time, he may develop into a top player but he is a long way off that at present.
Because of the lack of emerging talent around, a bandwagon has grown up around this lad and his agent has persuaded him that they can make a load of money, very quickly. Last season, when Liverpool were flying ( aided almost entirely by Saurez ) the pressure was taken off him. Now his team has returned to the ranks of the pretty average, he is being exposed. He is not mature enough to step up to the plate and has been found wanting. His agent isn't daft. He knows that the pressure on his player to perform at Liverpool is ramping up all the time and fans are starting to lose patience with him. Why not cash in your chips early before his stock starts to fall. It doesn't matter if he is warming the bench at another club, there is money in the bank. He can worry about winning things later.
In short, he is the most hyped-up, overrated young player of this generation and I genuinely believe that he is going to struggle to live up to expectation.
Agree with large parts of this. Still think he is a good player who would benefit from staying with a club who is prepared to develop him.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Agree with large parts of this. Still think he is a good player who would benefit from staying with a club who is prepared to develop him.

It is staggering that he is prepared to walk out on Liverpool, once the most successful club in Europe. It does appear that his agent has convinced him that the grass is greener elsewhere.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Hope he goes to Barcelona.........to sit on the bench. Another guy that quite seriously thinks he's not a Greedy Git. ..

"O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us"

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I read that his problem wasn't the money but the fact that negotiations had been leaked to the press and so it was a trust issue. Not sure whether that is just a smoke screen or not but maybe there is more to this one than the obvious.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I really don't think it's a money thing as I think Liverpool would match what any other club would offer. He wants to be at a club that is going places and playing in the champions league. Liverpool look like a club on the way down.

Now wether he is good enough is another question.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You can just tell he is badly advised and surrounded by the wrong type of hanger on'ers

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I read somewhere that he 'feels bullied into signing a new contract' That's youth of today for you. When I was at school bullies nicked your dinner money and gave you a wedgie, not tried to give you 100k a week and told you how brilliant you were.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The game is rotten to the core and the news that FFP rules are being relaxed just sickens me. Billions are pouring into football, a product that the salesmen and marketeers say is watched and loved all over the world. And yet those of us who watch it regularly know that the standard is declining and that players are getting greedier and lazier. The real hunger has disappeared from the game. Players do just enough to get by now and will cheat their way out of any situation.
There is very little value for money in football. Overpriced entertainment. Overpaid and overrated players, overpriced tickets, overpriced merchandise and food and drink. A select few are feeding at the trough of largesse and enjoying life, thank you very much. Fans have been conned into believing that it has never been better and those that wouldn't know a football if it smacked em full in the face, fall fully into the trap. It is the global game because any simpleton can understand it but its a game that is taking more and more and giving back less and less.
None of which is Sterling's fault, if anything we are more to blame for lapping this BS up.

Neither is this:-

The bile directed at Raheem on this thread is amazing.
He is doing EXACTLY what everybody else would do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is staggering that he is prepared to walk out on Liverpool, once the most successful club in Europe. It does appear that his agent has convinced him that the grass is greener elsewhere.
Because it is.

Just another parasite on the rotten carcass that is football.
What should a young talented footballer do to prevent being a parasite within footballs rotting carcass?

I read that his problem wasn't the money but the fact that negotiations had been leaked to the press and so it was a trust issue. Not sure whether that is just a smoke screen or not but maybe there is more to this one than the obvious.

I really don't think it's a money thing as I think Liverpool would match what any other club would offer. He wants to be at a club that is going places and playing in the champions league. Liverpool look like a club on the way down.

Now wether he is good enough is another question.

Of course it's about the money.
We're talking generational wealth here.

It doesn't matter if he's not good enough, that's not his problem.

Sterling could get Whitesided in pre season and it'll all be over, what then?

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
None of which is Sterling's fault, if anything we are more to blame for lapping this BS up.

Neither is this:-

The bile directed at Raheem on this thread is amazing.
He is doing EXACTLY what everybody else would do.

Absolutely, why should he not execute any preference within the terms of his contract.

If he wasnt fancied by the club they would use any means possible to maximise their return whilst using any method possible to exit him from the club.

Please do not think the clubs boards are naive 'local hardware shop proprietors' and the players are dastardly rogues taking them for a ride, clubs are sophisticated powerful organisations that will work brutally in their very own interests.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Fact is that Liverpool are not in the champions league this season and, apart from last year, haven't really been close to winning the premier league for some time. If the negotiating was leaked to the press to try and lever him into a deal then I can understand why he resents that. That said, any move will certainly financially benefit his agents!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I only opened this thread to type "I don't give a shit." Why should I care?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here