Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Outlook express. IT for clever techies

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi I'm using outlook express 2010 for work. I am looking to close down an inbox and direct users to 2 alternatives. I want one group with an email adress that includes example abc.net to receive one bounce back message, but for everyone else i.e joe public to receive a quite different bounce back message.

Can some clever persons please help.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's been a long time since I've done anything with OE but older versions didn't have the ability to create rules so you couldn't have done this. I'm assuming, as you're asking, it still doesn't and as such you're not going to be able to achieve what you want. Certainly a quick Google suggests you can't.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Dunstan. You're dumb.

In the meantime, isn't it in 'out of office' assistant? Or something? (I haven't been much help, have I. Like being back at school.)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Are you using Outlook rather than Outlook Express? Microsoft retired Express years ago, if you are using Outlook you want out of office, you can set different messages to be sent to internal and external addresses.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Dunstan. You're dumb.

In the meantime, isn't it in 'out of office' assistant? Or something? (I haven't been much help, have I. Like being back at school.)
What are they making you use at work? Office assistant. ...that went out years ago.

At school I would ask you if you understood maths. ..the answer being no. It would comfort me knowing that someone else was daft. Only to find out that your clever mum, dad, or brother had helped you with your homework. I had no such help. Mr Jolly dispaired.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Joey. yes it is outlook. Both my audiences are external.

So not Outlook Express then ? If it's full blown Outlook then you can use 'Rules' based on domain address to create different messages. I'm off to work in a second but once there I'll post the solution.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Joey. yes it is outlook. Both my audiences are external.

You could setup a rules to reply with a template email and create a template for each external address you want to redirect people to. The only problem with that is reply with template seems to be client side only which means outlook must be running to process the rule, not ideal if you don't want to use the mailbox.

Another option might be to create a rule that fwd's the email to the new email address, this runs even when the outlook client isn't being used.

A third option if you run your own Exchange server is to remove the email address from the current mailbox it is connected to and add it as an alias to the mailbox you want mail to go to. This means all email would route straight to the new email address without having to create rules and your external clients wouldn't notice any difference. If you are not the exchange admin you may need to get them to do it for you. It's a pretty easy process.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
You could setup a rules to reply with a template email and create a template for each external address you want to redirect people to. The only problem with that is reply with template seems to be client side only which means outlook must be running to process the rule, not ideal if you don't want to use the mailbox.

Another option might be to create a rule that fwd's the email to the new email address, this runs even when the outlook client isn't being used.

A third option if you run your own Exchange server is to remove the email address from the current mailbox it is connected to and add it as an alias to the mailbox you want mail to go to. This means all email would route straight to the new email address without having to create rules and your external clients wouldn't notice any difference. If you are not the exchange admin you may need to get them to do it for you. It's a pretty easy process.
Thanks Joey

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Outlook Express, wow, not heard that mentioned for a while. Although I did have a client start a conversation with the words Lotus Notes today.

Glad you got it sorted.

Company I used to work for were only just completing the move from notes/domino to outlook/exchange when I left last year, there was a lot of resistance by the end users as well to the change. I was never a massive fan but it did have some useful features.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
What are they making you use at work? Office assistant. ...that went out years ago.

At school I would ask you if you understood maths. ..the answer being no. It would comfort me knowing that someone else was daft. Only to find out that your clever mum, dad, or brother had helped you with your homework. I had no such help. Mr Jolly dispaired.

I use Outlook 2010 - I'm not talking about the paper clip that pops up! It was my Mum that helped/did the Maths homework. Of course, I was found out in class; distracted by somebody next to me writing out the lyrics to 'Looking After No.1' in the back of their maths book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here