Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone commute to London from Worthing?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
If so, is it horrible?

Last time I worked in London I used to get the train up from Hove so the journey was about 1hr so the commute wasn't *too* terrible. From Worthing I see it's roughly 1hr 20 but potential to get a seat is a little bit higher from Worthing.

I know southern rail are both crap and expensive with plenty of delays but for those that do it, is it bearable?!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are plenty on here that do.

I commuted from Portslade but have all but stopped. I now work from home three or even four days a week and if my company hadn't offered that I would have looked for a lower paying job in Sussex. London Bridge is a horror show of incompetence that will continue until 2018. Signal failure, power outages, dangerously narrow platforms, idiotic layouts and massive delays every time they do major work over a holiday.

I actually don't mind it in the summer but the idea of another winter commuting was just too much.

theboybilly

I am based at Victoria. The service from Shoreham-by-Sea is so unreliable I tend to drive to Brighton and take my chances from there. As there is not a direct service that gets into London before 7am (which I would need for all but 2 of my early shifts) I normally have to drive to Gatwick and catch either the 04.35 or 05.20 Gatwick Express. But almost without fail there will be some issue with the homeward journey it seems. I hate the commute and can't wait for the ability to be based nearer home. The Clapham Junction power issues a fortnight ago was horrendous both on a professional and personal level.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I commute from Durrington to Canary Wharf most days.

It's generally fine. I catch the 6:46 from Durrington, which is scheduled to arrive at LB at 8:18. I'm at my desk around 8:30.

Catching the train at Worthing you should always get a seat, which is more that can be said from Hove for example.

When there is disruption it can be horrible though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I did 2 years from Goring to London Bridge (06.44 in the morning, 17.42 in the evening) and was pretty horrendous. Morning was OK as always get a seat in fact you were good usually up to about Portslade, I usually slept from Hove to East Croydon ish , but evening required to be at the platform a bit before to guarantee a seat.

Of course the usual delays/cancellations etc can make it quite depressing to be stranded miles from home at 6pm, 7pm etc.. 2 years was enough for me

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pretty poor recently but commuting being cut down as encouraged not to come to London as often, whether that becomes permanent at some point remains debatable !

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Despite all the problems people have in commuting into the city by rail, I am puzzled by the amount of office accommodation being built in the city - which will lead to even more people making a journey by train.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I've commuted for 6 years from hove to clapham. I don't see what all the drama is about. Service is pretty good & I quite enjoy it. Just factor in 10-15 minutes a day to your journey & then occasionally you are pleasantly surprised when you are early

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I commute from Durrington to Canary Wharf most days.

It's generally fine. I catch the 6:46 from Durrington, which is scheduled to arrive at LB at 8:18. I'm at my desk around 8:30.

Catching the train at Worthing you should always get a seat, which is more that can be said from Hove for example.

When there is disruption it can be horrible though.

How do you manage London Bridge to CW in 12 mins. It usually takes me 12 mins to get from the train through the ticket barriers at LB!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How do you manage London Bridge to CW in 12 mins. It usually takes me 12 mins to get from the train through the ticket barriers at LB!!

I get in the first carriage, allowing quick exit , through barriers, down to Jubilee Line, and usually straight onto first tube ,and its only three stops to CW. Admittedly if the train arrives at 18 minutes past it's unlikely, but the 'real' arrival time is 12 minutes past, altered decently to the New time, to allow for the London Bridge congestion, but we do sometimes arrive early!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I get in the first carriage, allowing quick exit , through barriers, down to Jubilee Line, and usually straight onto first tube ,and its only three stops to CW. Admittedly if the train arrives at 18 minutes past it's unlikely, but the 'real' arrival time is 12 minutes past, altered decently to the New time, to allow for the London Bridge congestion, but we do sometimes arrive early!
As a part time commuter to the big smoke (twice per month max) I have not picked up tips like this! I'm stuck at the back of a crowd of coffee drinking zombies walking through the station each morning!!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I don't commute but I can guess the correct answer to this question.

Used to have a seat saved for me in the morning by a Greek goddess who got on at Worthing & liked to talk about anal sex and homeward played in 3 different Gin & Tonic card & story telling schools out of LB on the 5.45, 6,30 & 7.15 according to finish time. Great characters, some of the sharpest, funniest & driven guys in the World, who collectively lifted the drudgery

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Leaving at that time takes just under an hour to Morden(my depot).Finnish anywhere between 12 and 1pm bout an hour and a quarter home,up and down the A24 at that time of the morning it's very quiet.

That really does make sense...travel up on empty road..travel home at quiet time of day...Home between one thirty and two thirty....Much better than relying on Railways..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here