Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chicago

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Ok, help needed from the wise folk and the not so wise folk of NSC. Would you recommend a city break in Chicago and if so what is worth doing?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ok, help needed from the wise folk and the not so wise folk of NSC. Would you recommend a city break in Chicago and if so what is worth doing?

Great city, skyline is perhaps better than New York as its flat next to the lake. lived and worked there in the late 80's so nothing current to report.

Always got told that its called the windy city not because of the weather but a bunch of politicians talking too much in the 30's, always important to know :)

If you go you will love it ...........

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
The architecture tour on the river is excellent, and a great way of seeing the city. Go to a baseball game, wrigley field is a cool old stadium but full of frat boys and people who don't actually like baseball (and y'know f**k the cubs) so for a genuine experience go and see the white sox. Going to the top of both sears or the hancock tower is well worth it, but you can go to the second highest floor in the hancock for free and have cocktails with a pretty amazing view (you might have to queue for ages though!)

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Really didn't line Chicago but probably had more to do with the people I was with as opposed to the city itself

Mr Bronson

Feb 24, 2009
I've been to Chicago five or six times in recent years for work and it's a great city. As other have mentioned the boat tour on the river is good. But also take a walk around the loop and slightly beyond and get into some of the buildings. A colleague took me around a few of them earlier this year and there is some great architecture to see.

Remember Chicago has NBA, NHL and NFL teams so you should be able to catch some sports whilst you're there. Go and sit in the Millennium Park. They sometimes has free concerts in the evening. It overlooks the lake and despite the traffic noise is quite chilled. All in all their is plenty to do for short break.

My burger recommendation is DMK on North Sheffield. Great burgers and excellent selection of beers.

My only caveat is the weather. Freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Could you visit the Cadillac Palace Theatre (it's on W Randolph Street) and get a photo of Bill Murray for me please. No using google image search though I want an actual picture.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Really like Chicago, in many ways better than new York. I went in winter and it was f f f f freezing

Ginos east for deep pan pizza was superb and grand lux for lunch and cocktails

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Went with work a few times - meh ... and as others have said weather can be iffy

If you're after a fairly short hop to the US, Boston is hard to beat

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Honestly? Better than LA; (a lot) better than Detroit; worse than just about any other major US city. IMO, like.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Honestly? Better than LA; (a lot) better than Detroit; worse than just about any other major US city. IMO, like.

Better than Detroit. Down down Baghdad is better than Detroit.

I was in Chicago this weekend. The Chicago Institute of Art is worth a gander in, great museum. The architecture of the city is great as others have mentioned. Lou Malnati's in the Northern suburbs for a deep dish pizza is definitely worth a visit.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I liked it. Good musical scene if that's your thing. Visually impressive to look at, if not quite as iconic as other places. Lovely setting on the lake, though the tall buildings can have a bit of a wind tunnel effect. Give it a go.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Worse than a concrete jungle like Houston? A violent jungle like a lot of Philly?

Think you need to get around the US a bit more.

Hope the Blackhawks beat the Ducks so the Rangers can stuff them in the final!

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I went in 2009 to run the Chicago Marathon and really enjoyed the place.

Was my first experience to travelling to a big US city and I was really impressed. All quite easy to get around, and great places to eat and drink. Make sure you try the Goose Island beer.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I went in 2009 to run the Chicago Marathon and really enjoyed the place.

Was my first experience to travelling to a big US city and I was really impressed. All quite easy to get around, and great places to eat and drink. Make sure you try the Goose Island beer.

Also did the marathon in Chicago, so didn't have as much time as I would have liked, but it's a great long wkd type break.

Great music venues, deep dish pizza, sports and good beer!

I have just moved out to Boston and don't see much between them as cities, other than Boston/NYC being a bit closer.

Nashville or New Orleans would be my shout if you can get a bit further.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Worse than a concrete jungle like Houston? A violent jungle like a lot of Philly?

Think you need to get around the US a bit more.

Hope the Blackhawks beat the Ducks so the Rangers can stuff them in the final!

Houston has the space center, including the tram to the Saturn V and Mission Control - I can forgive a city a lot of concrete if it has mission control. Philly? Violent, for sure; but then so is are many, many cities, including quite a bit of Chicago. It has the Liberty Bell too. However, on balance, I'd rather go to Chicago than Philly again, so I'll concede on that point :wink:

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Chicago Hot Dogs

GoldCoastChardog.jpg

I'm really getting to believe in the Chicago Police Dept and their great ethic for justice despite the overwhelming odds against them. It's quite amazing.

article-2146756-132B0BCC000005DC-55_634x330.jpg

Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) Skydeck

chicago-willis-tower-skydeck-glas_350.jpg

They told me the outside layer of glass cracked while 4 people were in the bubble. Can you imagine seeing that. They replaced the glass immediately and nobody was hurt.

The Cubs just rebuilt the bleachers at Wrigley Field. Actually they are not quite done with them yet. They were all torn down and totally rebuilt from the bottom.
56787178.jpg

New video board-this was before the bleachers in left field were completed

635638510715970262-wrigleyfield.jpg

chicago-dreary-bean-1.jpg

The Bean or The Cloud

Water Tower
Where the great Chicago Fire of 1871 ended.
Chicago_Water_tower.jpg

Home of McDonald's Corporate headquarters
11mcdonalds-facts10.jpg

Chicago River
chicago-dusk.jpg

A fountain made of video artwork

48-hours-guide-chicago.jpg

Buckingham Fountain

Buckingham-Fountain-in-Grant-Park-Downtown-Chicago-Chicago-USA.jpg

Deep Dish Pizza

slider.jpg

Sitting in your own little corner above the world

hqdefault.jpg

Dec 15, 2014
Here
My burger recommendation is DMK on North Sheffield. Great burgers and excellent selection of beers. Good choice-other detectives took me there recently

My only caveat is the weather. Freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer.

As an example, today-Monday, it was 27 C, Tuesday it will be 10 C.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Worth a city break? Definitely!!! I went a few years ago, and thought it was an amazing city. Like Rosscrudos said, the architecture tour along the river is fantastic. I think i had a better time in Chicago than New York, which I also thought was great. If you can afford it and are pondering it, I couldn't recommend it enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here