Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Join a Union.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Like so many i like to think myself as a Liberal a bit of give and take. However please join a Union do it privately if you want. The Benefits far outweight the costs ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got married after 25 years Union. The costs being death duty. One of us will be happy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's pretty pointless really, membership has diluted and most Union rules have been tightened to prevent Unions taking action. Where I work there are no union members and although probably staff are not banned from joining a Union there is certainly no encouragement in the form of awareness either.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
We have a union where I work, but it's as wet as a fish's swimming costume - we get the minutes of their meetings with the company sent to us via e-mail periodically and it tends to read roughly like this:

Union: We would like the Company to consider <insert Proposal A here>.

Company: No.

Union: OK, how about <insert Proposal B here> instead?

Company: No.

etc, etc, etc...

Now of course the minutes may misrepresent the amount of arguing that goes on before the 'no' is given, but the fact remains that in a discussion with my colleagues a few weeks ago none of us, whether members or not, could actually think of anything they've managed to achieve on anyone's behalf in the last 5 years at least.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Frutos. What is your understanding of the meaning of Union? My understanding is a union or coming together of individuals for a common cause. A trade union is only as strong as its members. If members are happy with their conditions and do not want to do anything to improve things...then dont be surprised that management just laugh in union officials faces. They know that anything thst tu reps ask for is not backed up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Employees are getting shafted left-right-and-centre with low pay, zero hours and other stuff. Employment seems very one-sided these days. The need for unions has never been higher IMHO.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I was in the PCS (civil service Union) for years. Never helped me one jot. They only ever seemed in it for those that had been around for years. One year they negotiated a pay deal that meant it would take me 43 years to move from the bottom of the pay scale to the top.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Unions have one single aim - to increase their own power. They couldn't give two hoots about their members. My partner was a member of a union and called on them twice and they were utter shite. The second time I paid for her to be represented by an employment lawyer - cost £175 and she won £10k plus costs. The union were apathetic at best. Don't join a union, instead pay what you would pay as membership fees into a savings account and use it for an employment lawyer if you ever have need. Unions are dead and so last century ... hate them.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Trade Unions can't win, though, can they?

If they don't achieve anything for their members, they are seen as weak, useless and ineffective - and so not worth joining.
If they do successfully achieve things, they are slagged off for being militant, too powerful or holding the country (or employers) to ransom.

I wonder how many people who moan about unions being weak or useless also cheer every time (Tory) governments launch another crackdown on union 'power'?

Our political masters love 'hard-working people' as long as they don't have the cheek either to ask for a share of the profits their work helps to generate (only bosses seem to be awarded bonuses), or merely to be treated with a bit of respect and dignity at work!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unions have one single aim - to increase their own power. They couldn't give two hoots about their members. My partner was a member of a union and called on them twice and they were utter shite. The second time I paid for her to be represented by an employment lawyer - cost £175 and she won £10k plus costs. The union were apathetic at best. Don't join a union, instead pay what you would pay as membership fees into a savings account and use it for an employment lawyer if you ever have need. Unions are dead and so last century ... hate them.

There are a number of unions which seem, from the outside at least, to look after their members very admirably and professionally: National Union of Teachers, British Airline Pilots Association and National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers spring to mind.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Trade Unions can't win, though, can they?

If they don't achieve anything for their members, they are seen as weak, useless and ineffective - and so not worth joining.
If they do successfully achieve things, they are slagged off for being militant, too powerful or holding the country (or employers) to ransom.

I wonder how many people who moan about unions being weak or useless also cheer every time (Tory) governments launch another crackdown on union 'power'?

The problem being Unions are political. If they were real unions then they wouldn't be affiliated to any political party. Then they might actually be seen to represent their members.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
There are a number of unions which seem, from the outside at least, to look after their members very admirably and professionally: National Union of Teachers, British Airline Pilots Association and National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers spring to mind.

I note that all the unions you list can bring the country / commuters to their knees if required.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

You hate all unions because of a bad experience with one. That is not as well considered as it might be.

Unions are vital in making sure that the rights of working people are sensibly maintained. Without them, there will be no security, no rights. I don't want the poverty gap to increase further, but it will.

Some Unions have not covered themselves with glory, but in general, their role is more important than it ever was.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here