Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official NSC Triathlon Thread

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Having been marginalised from the cycling geeks thread for breaching the no swim/run rule!

Just interested to hear from others involved in Triathlon -

Having had a very strong cycling background and a bit of running (curtailed by injury) I've started in triathlons. Did my first sprint tri last month and was pretty pleased with my result (2nd in my age group) but, as expected, was a fair way down on the swim.

Next tri is end of July, standard distance with 1500m river swim.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Expecting my worst ever Arundel Tri next weekend, due to chronic lack of exercise and weight gain but looking forward to it anyway. I have entered the river swim version later in the year so must get in some practice soon!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Expecting my worst ever Arundel Tri next weekend, due to chronic lack of exercise and weight gain but looking forward to it anyway. I have entered the river swim version later in the year so must get in some practice soon!

The swimming (especially open water) seems a bit of a dark art to me. With the cycle or run I can go as fast as the fastest but not maintain it, with swimming I can't even make myself move any quicker!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Swimming, as in front crawl tekkers, is a hard thing to master in adulthood; the best swimmers in triathlons are those that used to swim competitively and train 4-5 times a week as teenagers.

The good news for triathlon however, is that the bike and run are proportionally much longer legs, so if you can get a reasonable swim, you can still be competitive. Have you tried Total Immersion technique and training? It made a huge difference to my swim time (and general fatigue after the swim) after about 4 months.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You weirdos need to be watching BBC2 now.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
90% of swimmers have 'draggy' legs. Sort than one thing out to get better. To check if you have ;

1. Time yourself over 4 lengths crawl.
2. Stick a pull buoy in your legs. Time yourself over the same distance.

If you swim quicker over 2 ( or same time) you need to sort out your leg position. So many people waste time effort and energy pulling their dragging legs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder how 'fit' NSC is when compared to other teams message boards.

With the introduction of triathlon to a stable that includes, running, marathon running and the daddy of them all Geeks.

Would it be wrong to think NorthStandLeeds, when not talking about being the best in Europe, consists of 'how many pies can you eat' or 'how to remove gravy stains?'

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

With the introduction of triathlon to a stable that includes, running, marathon running and the daddy of them all Geeks.

Would it be wrong to think NorthStandLeeds, when not talking about being the best in Europe, consists of 'how many pies can you eat' or 'how to remove gravy stains?'
You just couldn't stay away, could you SB! [emoji2]

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I believe they have a wife-beating thread, kind of a sport for them.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
90% of swimmers have 'draggy' legs. Sort than one thing out to get better. To check if you have ;

1. Time yourself over 4 lengths crawl.
2. Stick a pull buoy in your legs. Time yourself over the same distance.

If you swim quicker over 2 ( or same time) you need to sort out your leg position. So many people waste time effort and energy pulling their dragging legs.
This is very relevant. The Total Immersion technique is all about good balance in the water to prevent your legs dropping and creating extra resistance; stuff like stroke drills are almost secondary.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Good to see an official triathlon thread. Been completing triathlons for the last five or so years mainly around sussex, both sprint and Olympic distance. I go through different stages which of the 3 events I prefer ( and which I am better at) Most seem to hate the swimming most and i think it is the one event that needs proper coaching to improve. I love sea and river swimming especially with the aid of a wetsuit to keep those legs straight but hate training in swimming pools. Usually end in the top third of events but never really improve on that and generally do it to enjoy and keep fit. Generally competetors from cycling background seem to do the best as most time can be gained.

This year I have given it a break, deciding to complete individual events instead ( london marathon and prudential 100 mile London ride) although I think I might still complete the Virgin active Falmer triathlon in September. I have completed it a couple of times and recommend it especially as it involves a blast up ditchling beacon and a really friendly club.

Also still have plans to do a half iron marathon in the next couple of years.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Good to see an official triathlon thread. Been completing triathlons for the last five or so years mainly around sussex, both sprint and Olympic distance. I go through different stages which of the 3 events I prefer ( and which I am better at) Most seem to hate the swimming most and i think it is the one event that needs proper coaching to improve. I love sea and river swimming especially with the aid of a wetsuit to keep those legs straight but hate training in swimming pools. Usually end in the top third of events but never really improve on that and generally do it to enjoy and keep fit. Generally competetors from cycling background seem to do the best as most time can be gained.

This year I have given it a break, deciding to complete individual events instead ( london marathon and prudential 100 mile London ride) although I think I might still complete the Virgin active Falmer triathlon in September. I have completed it a couple of times and recommend it especially as it involves a blast up ditchling beacon and a really friendly club.

Also still have plans to do a half iron marathon in the next couple of years.
I think I'll aim for a half ironman eventually (but not the full!).

Interestingly I'm finding that the cross training of triathlon is helping me run close to my best whilst keeping the running mileage fairly low.

I've been looking at the TI swimming stuff after the suggestions above - some sites seem to say it's only worthwhile for beginners/those slower than about 2.00/100m?

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
As I mentioned in the geeks thread, had my first tri of the year today at Thorpe swimming lake. It was cold, and from getting in the lake I couldn't feel my toes until nearly the end of the run.

Like others, I struggle with the swimming but manage to pull it up a bit on the bike and run legs. Got a couple of Olympic distances coming up (Dambusters at Rutland Water and entered for London this year). Plan is to do a full Iron distance, but this is at least a couple of years away.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
How do most people compare on pool versus open water swim times?

Just wondering what might be par for me when extrapolating from my pool swim in the sprint?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Just wondering what might be par for me when extrapolating from my pool swim in the sprint?

It varied for me on where the open swim was. At London 10 years back I had a beauty and came out the Dock 3rd in my group, well ahead of Dermot Murnaghan, loser. Then first Thames swim at Windsor I messed up the curves of the river and got in the shallows. next one was better. For me open to pool are about the same, if I make sure I know where I am going.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009

Mine are always about 10% faster open water. Think this is due to streamlining effect of the wetsuit and lack of turns at the ends on lengths.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Mine are always about 10% faster open water. Think this is due to streamlining effect of the wetsuit and lack of turns at the ends on lengths.
That would be great. I'm hoping the wetsuit helps with my heavy legs! I think I'll be happy if I'm coming out of the water in under 30 minutes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here