Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Try this number and give something back.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Hold on, earlier I started a thread about banks going self service and first thing I see when I click the link is Blood is now self service! What do you do, put your arm in a machine and it takes what it needs?
And yes, I have given blood myself.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I really wish I was allowed to, such a worthwhile thing to do.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I used to give blood, for years I did it but I cant now because of the medication I take Im not allowed too.
Shame because I believe it's the most worthwhile thing you can do for another human while your alive.

If you can give blood please please please DO !! :thumbsup::bowdown::bowdown:

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Couldn't do it while I was asthmatic. Asthma disappeared about 6 months after the smoking ban came in (I kid you not). Can't do it now cos of my occasional tattoos.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Am I missing something here?

Bizarre as it may sound that is true. I used to give blood but was told I couldn't anymore because of my hay fever. Probably down to the tablets I was taking as I can't imagine an allergy is carried in the blood. I presume that it wouldn't be the case nowadays but I suppose compared to today the 70's was in the medical dark ages.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Bizarre as it may sound that is true. I used to give blood but was told I couldn't anymore because of my hay fever. Probably down to the tablets I was taking as I can't imagine an allergy is carried in the blood. I presume that it wouldn't be the case nowadays but I suppose compared to today the 70's was in the medical dark ages.

Oh right.

Well if it makes any difference, I get hay fever, I take medication, and it's never been a problem for the blood donation people. Maybe you could ask again, unless you know you have some sort of super strength antihistamines that fail the test!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was told that only by giving blood would i be able to find out my blood type a few months ago. Not a terrible thing to do to find it out, but i thought it strange that my gp had no way of finding it out when i asked. I remember phoning the surgery, asking, and being asked in response whether i had recently had a baby as that is the only way they would have that on record. I said, "no baby, no, but i was in a coma 9 years ago though." "Ooooh," she replied, and put me on hold. No luck.
I thought, though, that there should be some medical file somewhere which has my basic make-up. A file i have access to if needed.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
They quietly privatised the blood service last year, so in a Thatcherite way I'm not donating again unless they pay me.

Dodgy seagull

May 14, 2015
I gave blood for many years must be gallons of the stuff. Sadly now my blood is rubbish so cannot give any longer. It is worthwhile thing to do if you can and does make you feel good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here