Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Self Serve Banks

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My local branch has just announced it is being 'updated' to self serve with machines that will do all the work. At the moment there are four cashiers who work behind the screen taking my money and they said with glee "Oh no, we are not going to be out of a job, we will be here to help you". At this point all the customers laughed out loud knowing these people would be unemployed within the year. Anyone here got one of these new banks and are they easy to use. I bank around £5k cash and another £3k in coins weekly and have been told the coins must now be 'loose' not bagged.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At the moment there are four cashiers who work behind the screen taking my money and they said with glee "Oh no, we are not going to be out of a job, we will be here to help you". At this point all the customers laughed out loud knowing these people would be unemployed within the year.
Nice.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
It'll be a bit like self checkout at Tesco. They'll be there to help when it goes tits up but unlike grocery shopping they'll also be up-selling you all types of mortgage, loan and insurance products.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I never use the robot check outs at the supermarkets or the automated pay-in machines at the bank.

This is to do my bit to stop the staff losing their jobs.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
My local branch has just announced it is being 'updated' to self serve with machines that will do all the work. At the moment there are four cashiers who work behind the screen taking my money and they said with glee "Oh no, we are not going to be out of a job, we will be here to help you". At this point all the customers laughed out loud knowing these people would be unemployed within the year. Anyone here got one of these new banks and are they easy to use. I bank around £5k cash and another £3k in coins weekly and have been told the coins must now be 'loose' not bagged.

Move to a Bank that still has people serving, and tell your old Bank why you've moved.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I never use the robot check outs at the supermarkets or the automated pay-in machines at the bank.

This is to do my bit to stop the staff losing their jobs.

Same.

Ditto the self-service passport control scanning machines at Gatwick. Though have to confess to an ulterior motive there. The queues for those machines, tho relatively short, are incredibly slow and populated mainly by geeks who would far rather queue for twice the time than join a longer but faster-moving queue to present themselves in front of an actual human.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Same.

Ditto the self-service passport control scanning machines at Gatwick. Though have to confess to an ulterior motive there. The queues for those machines, tho relatively short, are incredibly slow and populated mainly by geeks who would far rather queue for twice the time than join a longer but faster-moving queue to present themselves in front of an actual human.
This surprises me since I travel a lot and always use these when the option is there, and I find them much quicker.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Ive got one. Only used to withdraw money but been fine. One of the machines has a really poor touch screen bu as long as i avoid that im fine. A bit like avoiding thereally slow teller

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Even at Gatwick? I find the non-self-service queue moves much quicker.

Helps pass the time because when you do get through you'll only have to wait at least another 20 mins for your bags, so what's the rush ? :smile:

Heathrow Terminal 5 puts Gatwick to shame with how quickly they get your baggage through.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Helps pass the time because when you do get through you'll only have to wait at least another 20 mins for your bags, so what's the rush ? :smile:

Heathrow Terminal 5 puts Gatwick to shame with how quickly they get your baggage through.

I live on Planet EasyJet. What are those 'bags' of which you speak? ???

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

These machines have definitely improved. I remember using them when they first came out and it seemed that the majority of the facial scans failed after taking an age. My last couple of experiences have been pretty quick.

As far as I can see (and I speak as someone who used to be employed by the National Union of Bank Employees), the ONLY reason for branch banks to continue in existence is to provide a means to pay money into accounts. For all other purposes, internet banking is better.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As far as I can see (and I speak as someone who used to be employed by the National Union of Bank Employees), the ONLY reason for branch banks to continue in existence is to provide a means to pay money into accounts. For all other purposes, internet banking is better.

The Post Office takes payments into bank accounts, which is handy, as Newhaven doesn't have one bank now.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I enjoy your posts and opinions, but suggesting you might speak with a degree of inside knowlege as a former employee of the long gone NUBE is pushing it a bit. Didn't they get absorbed in to Unite in one of it's previous incarnations in the last century?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not sure how the OAPs will fair, as many of them have never used a computer and much prefer to chat to someone behind the counter, to have some social interaction.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here