Black cabs-v-Uber.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Team uber

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I still use black cabs as like the tradition and knowledge for short trips, but they got so lazy and expensive (not going south of the river etc)

The Uber pricing system is just too good. Seems to be much bigger in the US and like the system where people can make extra cash, drivers tend to be nurses, teachers etc.

Heard they are valued at 50bn dollars though, how can a taxi firm be worth that?

Will be interesting to see if the launch in Brighton, would be handy for the Amex.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany

D

Deleted member 22389

I don't usually agree with Herr T unless it's about manufacturing, but he is correct on this one it wouldn't happen in Germany
http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/18/news/uber-ban-germany/

First off all it looks like Germany is protecting it's existing drivers, and secondly they probably don't want thousands of illegal drivers appearing on the scene which has been the case in London.

Put it this way, would you want your wife and / or children to ride in an unlicensed cab?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Black cabs all day long, Uber are running at a loss in London, they cannot keep the pricing up indefinitely, its also a tax avoider, processing London jobs through its Dutch subsidiary, thereby allowing it to pay a lower rate of VAT on the commission it takes from fares. This is despite being a UK-registered company and a Licensed London Private Hire Operator, promoting its services in the UK and carrying out journeys in the UK for UK credit and debit cardholders.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
another case of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.
more local firms going bankrupt.
more workers earning lower wages.
But you get a cheaper ride and a tax avoiding mega-corp makes a few
people very rich.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Black cab here.

He can be a leftie arse, but James O Brien on LBC is a very vocal backer of black cabs over Uber, and has some compelling arguments that i wish i could fully re-tell.

In any case, number one is the legal argument of PHV over a Taxi - defined pretty well here: http://rmtlondontaxi.com/hail-hail/

Other reasons should include:
Enhanced CRB checks for drivers, vehicles checked twice a year, drivers medically checked, enhanced insurance, and integrity and judgment checks. 5 to 6 years training on London roads, churches, clubs, bars, one way systems etc.
As opposed to Uber, in which case you could say, work in supermarket during the day, then get in your 10 year old mondeo at night, and work for Uber with very little checks indeed. When relying on sat nav to get you anywhere, what happens when you have no signal?

Case for Uber:
A fair bit cheaper (unless you want one in spike time slot) and then it could rocket way beyond a black cab.

Just heard today, there were over 1000 approved applications a month for Private Hire cabs in 2014, with black cab applications down 20%..
The iconic view of a London Black Cab crossing Tower Bridge (Norf only govnor, dont go Sarf i'm afraid :rolleyes: ) might be a thing of the past..

If black cabs are so wonderful why do the black cabbie shit themselves at any form of competition?

Because to get a black cab on the road, the cabbie has to shell out THOUSANDS of pounds to acquire the expensive, wheelchair accessible vehicle and pay the costs of getting through the Knowledge test. Uber drivers can get on the road without either of these requirements.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here