Brede Hangeland
Richard Dunne
Peter Odemwingie
Wilson Palacios
Paul McShane
Jussi Jaaskelainen
Wes Brown
Bobby Zamora...

To name but a few. Maybe a couple that are a bit unrealistic but we can dream.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the days of Premier League players dropping into the Championship to any team other than one with parachute payments or a complete disregard of FFP are gone. I have been very unimpressed of our recruitment policy over the last two seasons but I have never expected Premier League players to come here, except on loan. We need to be looking at young Championship fringe players or older heads who may be a bit of a gamble due to injuries imo. Other than that it's abroad or League 1 and a bigger gamble.

We are not going to be signing any more "names" I accept that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think the days of Premier League players dropping into the Championship to any team other than one with parachute payments or a complete disregard of FFP are gone.

Upson, Bridge, PIG, Stockdale, Hughes?

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the days of Premier League players dropping into the Championship to any team other than one with parachute payments or a complete disregard of FFP are gone.QUOTE]

Upson, Bridge, PIG, Stockdale, Hughes?

I am talking since Gus left obviously as we attracted amazing players in those days. Stockdale was from a relegated club and had hardly played for them until the tail end of their relegation season and Hughes was playing for Championship side the year before and is old, so I wouldn't consider either of them as "names".

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think another thing we need to realise is that we aren't a Championship team on the cusp pf joinng the Premier League anymore. Indeed if last season was anything to go by we are far more likely to drop into League One then mount a promotion challenge.

Any player contemplating leaving the Premier League will want to return there ASAP.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Plenty available who could compliment the squad nicely;

Brede Hangeland
Richard Dunne
Peter Odemwingie
Wilson Palacios
Paul McShane
Jussi Jaaskelainen
Wes Brown
Bobby Zamora...

Brede Hangeland was talked about as a 20m player just a couple of years ago.

How the mighty have fallen.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think another thing we need to realise is that we aren't a Championship team on the cusp pf joinng the Premier League anymore. Indeed if last season was anything to go by we are far more likely to drop into League One then mount a promotion challenge..

Sadly I do believe that you are correct, I doubt that we are anywhere near as an attractive proposition as most of the other clubs in the Championship. We even lost out to Brentford on a player who would have given us the pace we lacked last season and they'd only just been promoted.

That fateful night two years ago saw the end of our short term big ambition to go up.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didn't Peter Odemwingie drive himself to QPR on transfer deadline day?

That day was the start of his decline.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Plenty available who could compliment the squad nicely;

Brede Hangeland
Richard Dunne
Peter Odemwingie
Wilson Palacios
Paul McShane
Jussi Jaaskelainen
Wes Brown
Bobby Zamora...

There are not many there to interest us. The Sun says BZ is taking a massive wage drop to join the MLS. The rest are all past it either by age or ability In some cases on both counts.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Brede Hangeland was talked about as a 20m player just a couple of years ago.

How the mighty have fallen.

Big Brede is almost 34 now. He'd still be a very good CB in the Championship though. A real threat from set pieces and pretty solid at the back, you could do a lot worse.

wayneb

Oct 24, 2009
We may just have to bide our time and do a Southampton by bringing our academy players along.
I cannot see the point of spending big just for short term gain.
The more young players we bring through the more connection we will begin to have with our beloved team again

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think another thing we need to realise is that we aren't a Championship team on the cusp pf joinng the Premier League anymore. Indeed if last season was anything to go by we are far more likely to drop into League One then mount a promotion challenge.

Any player contemplating leaving the Premier League will want to return there ASAP.

1 poor season and you are writing of the near future of the club. It happens and you build again

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here