Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why have Albion never produced a decent striker from the youth ranks?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fenelon now released (no surprise as never looked like he was going to threaten even our current powder-puff front line).

How many others have there been over the years: Joe Gatting, Jake Robinson, Scott Ramsay, Chris McPhee, George Barker?

I can't think of a single forward who's gone on to have a successful (and I know "successful" may be a contentious term) career within the Football League. All have ended up- or probably will do, in Barker's case- drifting slowly down the pyramid.

Said it before, but we've been alright at producing centre halves, full backs, the occasional midfielder and so on (even players like Harding & Hammond have gone on to have relatively useful careers), but nobody who has ever been able to knock the ball regularly into the back of the net, whether for us or any other club of equal or higher status. No Danny Ings or Jordan Rhodes's here, not even a Darren Bent, Robert Earnshaw, or a David Nugent, in fact.

I'd love to know why that is. Is it coaching, scouting, lack of money, luck? Can kids in Sussex just not shoot straight? We must be defying the law of averages by now.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Even back in the 80's great hopes like David Gipp failed to live up to the original hype

Ha, I was trying to think of his name. I could picture his face. Was he really ever a "great hope" then? I was a bit young at the time to remember.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
From the Goldstone Wrap

Perhaps the biggest hopes lay with striker David Gipp, who was finding goals easy to come by in the reserves. Surprisingly, it took until the tail end of 1986/87 for the Essex-born man to make his Seagulls debut, away at Blackburn as a sub. He almost scored with his first touch. However, after just three appearances in 1987/88 and was released in July 1989, dashing the dreams of another young Albion player.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Banged loads in for the reserves and youth but never really got a chance , I think he went to Barnet

The Goldstone Wrap site (dated 2014) says he's now living in Barkingside & "buying & selling" as an East End trader.

PF-Del-Boy_1235471c.jpg

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have high hopes for Mr Tilley on what I have seen so far, which admittedly is only 2 games.

Hes a bit of a no 10 really... so does he count as a striker...anyway early indications are very encouraging.

I have been thinking for quite a while we need a striking coach on board....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have high hopes for Mr Tilley on what I have seen so far, which admittedly is only 2 games.

Hes a bit of a no 10 really... so does he count as a striker...anyway early indications are very encouraging.

If he scores goals for the first team, then I'll call him a striker, yes. If he breaks our terrible record then I'll call him whatever he wants.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
There is currently a 17yo local lad leading the attack of an Isthmian League Div 1 side. Last season they came 6th.

I wonder why he hasn't been snapped up at some time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Going back in years it is true although Adrian Thorne had a gooc seaso with us but never progressed beyond us. As far back as I can remember we have always bought our strikers the bedt 3 come to mind as Wardy BZ, who according to The Sun is going to take a wage drop to the MLS and Gary Nelson but all were bought in and then brought on by us but not coming through the youth. Perhaps thix will change in about 5 - , 10 years with the academy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I have been thinking for quite a while we need a striking coach on board....

Could be but a lot of pressure and expectation will be placed on him, as per Jake Robinson.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Has Tilley been prolific at youth level? Can't say I've been paying that much attention. I do realise that not all the top players are necessarily scoring 30 goals per season in the youth ranks anyway, and that some who do, never make it anyway. Paul Moulden springs to mind- think he was in the Guinness Book of Records at one stage after scoring something like 200 goals in a season for his local youth side. Turned pro- including a few loan appearances for us, I believe- but never struck gold and eventually drifted out of the game.

Noticed the other day that two Chelsea youngsters- Dom Solanke and Ruben Loftus-Cheek have both hit over 40 goals this season for their DS. I suppose they do get to pick from the cream of the crop, but that's still good going by anyone's standards. Rumour has it they already pay Solanke £20k per week & he's not played a single first team game yet :ohmy:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tommy Cook came through the youth ranks and played for England (of course, we are talking nearly 100 years ago)

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Going back in years it is true although Adrian Thorne had a good season with us but never progressed beyond us. .

In all my years of supporting the team, he is the only one who had any meaningful impact for the club. Those who were there, will never forget the 5 goals he scored to win our first ever promotion in 1958 against Watford in the last game of the season.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I'm still a bit miffed we ignored Greg Luer. Played for Burgess Hill and Hull picked him up in January. Can't believe we chose to ignore a promising player in our own back yard.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I've watched the DS a good number of times over the last 4 seasons and have yet to see a big lump play.
All the DS "strikers" seem to be a bit on the short side and lacking physical presence. Dickenson was the only one to put himself about.
We should be looking out for a couple of aspiring Andy Lochheads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here