Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour has turned into a party of the middle classes

Most interesting analysis I've seen yet of what went wrong last Thursday, some actual data crunching below by Jon Trickett MP. Confirms Labour gained support among the middle classes but lost working class voters. The surest sign yet that the party has turned its back on its core supporters, those who it was founded to represent. The "failed to mobilise" element is also key ---- these are the vital issues all the candidates for leadership will have to address

http://www.jontrickett.org.uk/labour_s_missing_millions_part_2

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
That was pretty clear from the election. Labour gained votes from the lib dems but lost more to UKIP in working class areas.

More and more reason why they can't go off to the left. 50 years ago most working class people were brought up in homes with strong trade union roots. Not any more. They can't rely on as many voters anymore.

They did not appeal to either in my opinion.

Opinions are like etc etc - the point is to look at the data!!!

Labour INCREASED its support among the middle classes compared to its last general election victory

This happened when Blair was in charge of things, your a tad late on your relevation.

Doh - Miliband beat the 2005 Blair election victory among the middle classes - look at the data

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting analysis and when he lists the 3 keys for the new leader as being preserving middle class voters, regaining working class votes and getting disaffected Labour voters to actually vote it all begins to look remarkably like the USA in 2008. This is why Chuka Umunna ticks a lot of the boxes that Barack Obama did for the Democrats.

In crude terms he'll appeal to ethnic voters, young voters, Labour voters who are closer to the centre and aspirational, he'll also represent a break from the past and having been Shadow Business Secretary and on the Treasury Select Committee he should be able to argue convincingly on business and the economy.

Umunna is the logical leader on paper, it's simply a case of whether he can make the leap from good politician to great leader. At 36 he is politically very young and will make mistakes but I think he represents the best hope for Labour.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Opinions are like etc etc - the point is to look at the data!!!

Labour INCREASED its support among the middle classes compared to its last general election victory

All depends where the data comes from, if it's anything like the data provided for the outcome of the election then it is pretty inaccurate.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Doh - Miliband beat the 2005 Blair election victory among the middle classes - look at the data

But is was Blair and his acolytes who invented Blue Labour to appeal to the upper working class and lower middle class voter.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
If you want to win a majority vote in the UK GE then you must win over the middle classes. Thats where the majority of the votes are. I haven't read the link yet but will do so maybe tonight.

But is was Blair and his acolytes who invented Blue Labour to appeal to the upper working class and lower middle class voter.

Well, precisely - and Labour has continued to do well among that middle class so-called "aspirational" voter. But more poorly among its working class base, its their concerns that have been neglected, not those of the middle class swing voters.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If you want to win a majority vote in the UK GE then you must win over the middle classes. Thats where the majority of the votes are. I haven't read the link yet but will do so maybe tonight.

Not according to the opening thread link, apparently Labour have won over the middle classes but lost the working class.....hard to believe i know.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Well, precisely - and Labour has continued to do well among that middle class so-called "aspirational" voter. But more poorly among its working class base, its their concerns that have been neglected, not those of the middle class swing voters.

No need to tell me LI , I ripped up my Labour Party membership card a fortnight after Blair got the keys to number 10.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I love the way that Andy Burnham is being painted as a rampant loony leftie. Yes he has union backing but he's no Derek Hatton or Ken livingstone

For me, when I come to vote for leader, we will need a similar marriage to that seen with John Prescott and tony Blair in my view. And lets not forget that Blair's first term was actually quite radical (minimum wage etc)

For me it needs to be someone who;

Supports workers of whatever 'class' they are
Understands that many people go into business, not with the aim to fleece employees, and so support them and other entrepreneurs
Understand that the principle of education and integrated health and care which is free at point of use, and which has safety and care at the centre, should be the key aim NOT who supplies it...potentially taking the nhs out of political controls by having a cross party board for it
Invest in all activities that promote people's aspirations and opportunities
Accept and understand that benefits can and should help the 'real' poor and be prepared to tackle the (albeit heavily overstated) game players
Fair tax for all, including closing avoidance schemes and tackling evasion
Not assume anybody having concerns about immigration is a racist. Yes some are racists but deal with them separately

I'm not saying labour wasn't doing most of these. Hut we need to ensure that people are clear how amd why it will get done

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I love the way that Andy Burnham is being painted as a rampant loony leftie. Yes he has union backing but he's no Derek Hatton or Ken livingstone

For me, when I come to vote for leader, we will need a similar marriage to that seen with John Prescott and tony Blair in my view. And lets not forget that Blair's first term was actually quite radical (minimum wage etc)

For me it needs to be someone who;

Supports workers of whatever 'class' they are
Understands that many people go into business, not with the aim to fleece employees, and so support them and other entrepreneurs
Understand that the principle of education and integrated health and care which is free at point of use, and which has safety and care at the centre, should be the key aim NOT who supplies it...potentially taking the nhs out of political controls by having a cross party board for it
Invest in all activities that promote people's aspirations and opportunities
Accept and understand that benefits can and should help the 'real' poor and be prepared to tackle the (albeit heavily overstated) game players
Fair tax for all, including closing avoidance schemes and tackling evasion
Not assume anybody having concerns about immigration is a racist. Yes some are racists but deal with them separately

I'm not saying labour wasn't doing most of these. Hut we need to ensure that people are clear how amd why it will get done

No need to tell me LI , I ripped up my Labour Party membership card a fortnight after Blair got the keys to number 10.

Ha - I've rejoined purely so I can vote against his political heirs :)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
So, how does the house of Commons library have this data? Is it based on the exit poll?

Clearly the question of needing to be more left wing would carry more clout if voters had voted for traditional left wing policies. Concerns around immigration aren't seen as current left wing themes

Dandyman

In London village.
Most interesting analysis I've seen yet of what went wrong last Thursday, some actual data crunching below by Jon Trickett MP. Confirms Labour gained support among the middle classes but lost working class voters. The surest sign yet that the party has turned its back on its core supporters, those who it was founded to represent. The "failed to mobilise" element is also key ---- these are the vital issues all the candidates for leadership will have to address

http://www.jontrickett.org.uk/labour_s_missing_millions_part_2

PASOK should be a warning to Social Democratic parties. In the UK an overtly anti-austerity party won 50% of the votes cast in Scotland, while an austerity light one struggled to get 31% in the UK.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
He must be right. You must pick the most left wing candidate possible. Not much joy in the three so far but i am sure others, after they have seen this insightful analysis, will step forward forward to wave the red flag. Will be great to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here