Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The People’s Republic of Brighton and Hove: Britain’s latest breakaway nation

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"The proposed micro-state already has a flag, a passport, the makings of a constitution and 8,000 supporters. Vive la révolution!

Nations have been founded on a whim, but the People’s Republic of Brighton and Hove may be the first to be founded as a therapeutic device after an unexpected Tory victory. Last week, while the rest of the England was frenziedly voting Tory, Brighton and Hove dug their heels in, and instead voted in a Green MP (Caroline Lucas, her second term and this time with a majority of 8,000) and a Labour MP (Peter Kyle, taking over a traditionally Tory constituency with a majority of just over 1,000).

Smart may have intended the republic as a joke, but as the city, full of environmentalists and lefties, woke up, there was plenty of need for venting of grief and nearly 8,000 people have signed up. There have already been requests for asylum from neighbouring Kemptown, and further north-east, Lewes has requested an invasion and promised to supply the fireworks.

The republic already has a flag (although there is, naturally, some dispute about the font), a passport, and a few theoretical policies. Tories, for example, will not be deported, but instead “welcomed – we need to try to understand their mindset and work out how to convert them”. There is also talk of building a tactical alliance with “our natural allies, the Scots. If anyone is likely to recognise our independence, it’s Nicola Sturgeon.”

Can anyone explain what is going on ???

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sigh. This has been all over my facebook feed since the election.

D

Deleted User X18H

What a load of pretentious b@llocks

Brighton & Hove for many is just a place to live in. Not a place to constantly show off about living in .

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bit of Brighton fun. Ghastly colour scheme on the flag though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shit flag, though appropriate that its on a field of blue.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I like Brighton (and was mildly pleased with the election results here), but it is a bit up itself. It's an average-sized provincial town with pretensions to being some kind of cosmopolitan city, and full of little groups of people whether they be hipsters, ageing hippies, environmentalist green vegans or whatever, who constantly congratulate themselves on being in some special way "different" from the crowd, but who are, in their own ways, extremely conformist to a particular set of social norms.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The league will be a bit boring - just us and Whitehawk, I suppose. Still, it will be good to have a crack at the Champions League every year!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I like Brighton (and was mildly pleased with the election results here), but it is a bit up itself. It's an average-sized provincial town with pretensions to being some kind of cosmopolitan city, and full of little groups of people whether they be hipsters, ageing hippies, environmentalist green vegans or whatever, who constantly congratulate themselves on being in some special way "different" from the crowd, but who are, in their own ways, extremely conformist to a particular set of social norms.

Try living in Surrey. I long for pretentious hipsters , hippies and vegans!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You have a point!

I'm moving back in August now, 3 years have I wondered in the cultural wasteland that is Surrey. And it's Chelsea/Palace country. I live a stones throw from Chelsea training ground, the amount of wannabe's getting about in Chelsea training kit is laughable, I'm certain they genuinely think people will mistake them for players!
The plus side is the place is crawling with Clunge.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm moving back in August now, 3 years have I wondered in the cultural wasteland that is Surrey. And it's Chelsea/Palace country. I live a stones throw from Chelsea training ground, the amount of wannabe's getting about in Chelsea training kit is laughable, I'm certain they genuinely think people will mistake them for players!
The plus side is the place is crawling with Clunge.

Good lord, I spent too many years of my childhood there. My sympathies.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I don't often agree with you, but i agree with this.
indeed, this. Also, I thought Brighton & Hove had also elected a Tory? Or did I misunderstand?

Also, off topic, trying to click on the links to Page 2 for this brings me back to Page 1.

The league will be a bit boring - just us and Whitehawk, I suppose. Still, it will be good to have a crack at the Champions League every year!

You are forgetting about the mighty Old Vardeanians - and surely we can make a power grab for Peacehaven FC

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yet another example of not accepting the national vote. This is just getting more boring by the day. Seems just a case of I don't like losing so I'm taking my football home.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here