Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon and Ankergren have signed their contract extensions

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Excellent news, two less positions to worry about and means the club can turn full attention (and budget) to strengthening the squad for next season.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Hmmmm.

Underwhelmed. Pleased for them, but this will have little impact in meeting ambition for next season.

I disagree. Calderon is a big dressing room influence and knows what playing for the club should be all about.

Ankergren in a safe option as 3rd choice.

They're not world beaters but they are useful squad members. That said though, we still need another 8 or 9 new players of Kayal's standard.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
1 year is right, then of course it can be re-visited this time next year if he still has the legs!

Either way, Calde will be here long term in important roles in coaching or mentoring if he so chooses.

Ankergren is a reliable choice if we have two goalkeepers out!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Hmmmm.

Underwhelmed. Pleased for them, but this will have little impact in meeting ambition for next season.
Every team needs an element of depth to them regardless of ambition. I can't imagine either will be starting too many games next season but they're certainly good options when needed.

Also, Calde is a glorious human being.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I disagree. Calderon is a big dressing room influence and knows what playing for the club should be all about.

Ankergren in a safe option as 3rd choice.

They're not world beaters but they are useful squad members. That said though, we still need another 8 or 9 new players of Kayal's standard.

Perfectly put.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Past their best,time to move them on if we wanna be top 6.
Sorry.

Do you really need to recruit a better third choice goalkeeper who is likely to play exclusively in the cups? He played once last season (in the league cup) and twice the season before that (once in the league cup and once in the league) according to Soccerbase. He's clearly still fit, so why replace him?

As has already been suggested, goalkeeping coach and 3rd choice rolled into one, saving on wages.

Today's Argus back page says he's not in the picture for the coaching position, although I imagine he essentially serves as a deputy coach.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kind of underwhelmed, I thought Walton was going to be sent out on loan ( which would be very sensible) and another keeper was being brought in. Not sure we need three keepers as borrowing one doesn't seem to be too hard. Can't see that we need three keepers full time personally. I have no problem with Calde staying as long as he is just going to be an emergency back up.

Both are reliable and decent back up though. Can we get on with signing some players who will improve the squad though please.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Kind of underwhelmed, I thought Walton was going to be sent out on loan ( which would be very sensible) and another keeper was being brought in. Not sure we need three keepers as borrowing one doesn't seem to be too hard. Can't see that we need three keepers full time personally. I have no problem with Calde staying as long as he is just going to be an emergency back up.

Both are reliable and decent back up though. Can we get on with signing some players who will improve the squad though please.

Three keepers is pretty standard I think. Say someone picks up an injury in the warm up. No way at all you can get a loan keeper in, so left without a keeper on the bench. Not the most reassuring situation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Three keepers is pretty standard I think. Say someone picks up an injury in the warm up. No way at all you can get a loan keeper in, so left without a keeper on the bench. Not the most reassuring situation.

Sounds like overkill to me. A year's wages to cover something that I can't recall ever happening, and if it did it could be rectified by the next match. Nah still not convinced it's not a waste of wages :shrug:

It could of course mean that we are not signing another keeper and Walton will go out on loan as we make do with two keepers.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Sounds like overkill to me. A year's wages to cover something that I can't recall ever happening, and if it did it could be rectified by the next match. Nah still not convinced it's not a waste of wages :shrug:

It could of course mean that we are not signing another keeper and Walton will go out on loan as we make do with two keepers.

We'll have three keepers. And the injured keeper situation happened season before last I believe.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Excellent news, two less positions to worry about and means the club can turn full attention (and budget) to strengthening the squad for next season.

Still leaves 1st choice pisitiins to fill as neither are good enough for regular 1st team action if we wish to progress from the past season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here