Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POSSIBLE National Rail strike coming up

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The RMT have balloted Network Rail staff for industrial action, in which they have voted to do so. The type of action which will be taken isnt yet known but it would most likely be a national strike. However 92% of those who voted for action voted for something short of a strike, but it would still cause massive problems.

The TSSA Union has also balloted its members with the result being announced on Friday. Obviously if they vote for action, then it would be massive.

Contingency plans are being drawn up by train companies, if it is full strike action, expect no service on most routes, maybe even a full shutdown. Its early days and it may not even happen yet.

Oh, and this DOES happen in Germany !!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I guess a lump sum and pay rises in line with inflation isn't enough.

Thank god Ed Miliband is not in charge.

Ban these labour monopolies.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
From the BBC report...

Union bosses turned down the offer of a one-off £500 payment to staff and three years of rises in line with inflation.

Perhaps the government could think about tighter rules around when a strike is valid

Why don't we have tighter rules for when elections of MPs are valid? Amazing how many Tories are prefectly happy to run the country on minority votes

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Pay them a bit more, then everyone is happy. After all aren't the Tories always banging on about them being the party of the working. If you work and do a good job you get rewarded. Considering inflation is very low and I reckon the £500 is non pensionable and taxed, it's not really much of an offer. I gather there were numerous pay freezes leading up to this point and they just want to be recognised that when times are good they are rewarded for taking the cuts. Good on them I say!!

D

Deleted member 22389

These people don't get paid too badly, they should be happy that they have a job.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pay them a bit more, then everyone is happy. After all aren't the Tories always banging on about them being the party of the working. If you work and do a good job you get rewarded. Considering inflation is very low and I reckon the £500 is non pensionable and taxed, it's not really much of an offer. I gather there were numerous pay freezes leading up to this point and they just want to be recognised that when times are good they are rewarded for taking the cuts. Good on them I say!!

This. According to some it's all about aspiration now, and wanting that "house extension, a conservatory" and shopping at Waitrose. At least the train drivers are on-message

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just like a normal day then, not sure anyone would notice the difference.

I wouldn't put it past the rail companies to **** up a strike and run trains by mistake though.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

If only they did a good job. Was not the delays where some passengers were left on the train for over 4 hours not down to a section of the third rail not being put back. Yet another example of the unions looking to turn the clock back to the 1970s.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I guess a lump sum and pay rises in line with inflation isn't enough.

Thank god Ed Miliband is not in charge.

Ban these labour monopolies.

Yes damn those blasted unions and their representation of workers rights.

If only Maggie had killed them all off then perhaps those big companies could have got away with not paying their staff the minimum wage and treating their staff fairly!

I mean what have the unions ever done for us?

Seriously some of you should listen to yourselves.

Most union officials are not in the back pocket of the left and a vast majority only want what's best for their members.

Some of you need to stop reading the right wing press and check out what a union does before blaming them for looking after their members!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It really is time for technology to step in on the railways. Run the trains and underground using computers - no need for expensive drivers, and then use the savings for investing in the infrastructure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It really is time for technology to step in on the railways. Run the trains and underground using computers - no need for expensive drivers, and then use the savings for investing in the infrastructure.

Ha ha. When folk are commuting on them bone-shakers to London I reckon "technology" and "investment" are probably the last two words they would think of.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

I'm pretty sure most rail workers have been on RPI plus one for the last decade or so. I've never ever heard of rail workers having pay freezes before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here