Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wenger Accuses Swansea Of "refusing to play." Is It About The Journey or Destination?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Wenger Accuses Swansea Of "refusing to play." Is It About The Journey or Destination?

Swansea beat Arsenal by using negative tactics, according to Arsene Wenger. It wouldn't be the first time that a team has played a defensive game at Arsenal. However, taking a wider view of football in general, which type of team would you prefer to watch:

a) A team that plays attractive, expansive football, but with relatively little success (trophy-wise)

or

b) A team that plays less attractive football (not mentioning any team from West London), but is much more successful?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Either would be preferable to a team that plays unattractive football, scores no goals and is very unsuccessful (but does have a lovely stadium) :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wenger is a tw@

Did I answer the question?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
A team that has a (relatively anyway) low playing budget has a reason to play defensive and hit on the break when playing at teams like Arsenal. A team that has hundreds of millions to spend each season, has much less of an excuse to park the bus.

In my opinon, like.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
A team that has a (relatively anyway) low playing budget has a reason to play defensive and hit on the break when playing at teams like Arsenal. A team that has hundreds of millions to spend each season, has much less of an excuse to park the bus.

In my opinon, like.

I agree that this will happen. Was just thinking generally about what type of football I would prefer to watch every week. Not that I am saying it is going to happen here next season, but would I like to see games with lots of goals, but with that, poor defending at times and regular defeats, or watch us win 1-0 every week but go up as champions?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I agree that this will happen. Was just thinking generally about what type of football I would prefer to watch every week. Not that I am saying it is going to happen here next season, but would I like to see games with lots of goals, but with that, poor defending at times and regular defeats, or watch us win 1-0 every week but go up as champions?

Yeah sorry my point was more aimed at Wenger's comments than your question. Would go for style over results every time myself.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He's just a sad old frog who's best hops are behind him

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As a neutral watching two teams I don't care about, I'd obviously prefer "A". As a (loosely-speaking) footballer, I'm a striker and have a strikers mentality, so it's all about goals, goals, goals. Loads of chances, loads of space, end-to-end stuff. However, you will almost never find a game in the Premier League where both teams adopt strategy "A".

As a Brighton fan, we've had "A" for 3 or 4 years (excluding this one), so right now I'd want "B". Football is about winning games first and foremost. I'll admit though, using Oscar's time in charge, we won ugly surprisingly often and were quite a dour side. I found that season more boring than parts of this season.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
The Swansea game just got me thinking about the type of football I would prefer to watch. I guess I should have re-worded the thread title as 'Winning Football or Entertaining Football?'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My heart bleeds for Wenger and his millions in the bank versus little Swansea.

I can't believe little Swansea and their modest team didn't try and beat the millionaire Gunners with free-flowing football, I really can't understand it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here