Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kazim-Richards

D

Deleted member 2719

I saw him doing that at the Worthing pre-season friendly. Then his dad (I think) had a bit of a go at him and basically told to stop acting the big-time charlie. I didn't hear all that was said but the phrase 'remember where you come from' was used more than once. After that CKR then dutifully signed every autograph and posed for every picture as asked.
Thanks for the detail, that's exactly as I remember, I remember there were 25,000 or so missing Albion fans that day.
Thank god they still have some supafans.:hilton:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I saw him doing that at the Worthing pre-season friendly. Then his dad (I think) had a bit of a go at him and basically told to stop acting the big-time charlie. I didn't hear all that was said but the phrase 'remember where you come from' was used more than once. After that CKR then dutifully signed every autograph and posed for every picture as asked.

I was there the evening he left, a reserve match also at Worthing. It was the last day of the transfer window, 2006. He'd handed in a transfer request after McGhee left him out of the starting line-up for the first game of the League One season. Anyways, he started the game at Worthing and got hauled off (if memory serves) halfway through the first half, to be told he'd been sold to Sheffield United. I happened to be stood watching the game next to Dick Knight and his little grandson when a freshly changed CKR came over to DK to say his goodbyes. They shook hands, DK wished him good luck, all perfectly amicable. DK's little grandson was a bit upset, bless him. 'Dont go Colin!' he wailed. 'I've got to mate' said CKR. It was actually a very sweet moment. Then he was gone. McGhee was gone about a week later.

I remember us all being gobsmacked the following year on hearing that while we were scrubbing around in the foothills of League One, CKR was strutting his stuff in the Champions League with Fenerbahçe. Funny old game

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I was there the evening he left, a reserve match also at Worthing. It was the last day of the transfer window, 2006. He'd handed in a transfer request after McGhee left him out of the starting line-up for the first game of the League One season. Anyways, he started the game at Worthing and got hauled off (if memory serves) halfway through the first half, to be told he'd been sold to Sheffield United. I happened to be stood watching the game next to Dick Knight and his little grandson when a freshly changed CKR came over to DK to say his goodbyes. They shook hands, DK wished him good luck, all perfectly amicable. DK's little grandson was a bit upset, bless him. 'Dont go Colin!' he wailed. 'I've got to mate' said CKR. It was actually a very sweet moment. Then he was gone. McGhee was gone about a week later.

I remember us all being gobsmacked the following year on hearing that while we were scrubbing around in the foothills of League One, CKR was strutting his stuff in the Champions League with Fenerbahçe. Funny old game

Yeah I remember that too, him being hauled off. I was there because it was BHA reserves v Palace reserves if I remember correctly and I was desperate to watch a derby match!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I remember the Saturday after he left the club, I believe it was Bristol City, when I got to Ashton Gate Andy Naylor mentioned that CKR’s Dad Rodney was keen to come on the phone in to put his sons version of events over. I don’t know whether it was the West Country air but I was overcome by a wave of common-sense and decided to Rodney before the game to gauge what he wanted to say.

Needless to his version could not have been broadcast, he alluded to the colour of his sons skin being a factor in his exit from the club, and all but accused of Dick and Mark McGhee of spending their spare time up on the Downs wearing white hoods and burning crosses, we parted on good terms but it was clear we couldn’t have him on with what he was suggesting.

As in life their are three versions of a story, the two parties and the truth somewhere in the middle, and I’m sure CKR’s Albion departure is exactly that.

To CKR’s credit, to still be playing at Championship level all these years later, but this suggests that had his attitude and application been a bit different Just think what could he have achieved?

When you look at the list of player McGhee fell out with, it does make you think...

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Dick Knight wrote about the events of that night in his book as I remember.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Magoo the icing on why I gave up my season ticket

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
A bunch of lovely folks on Twitter as usual...

CKR.jpg

[TWEET]1316752531930910721[/TWEET]

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

I was also that game. CKR’s dad was busy phoning everyone and anyone to tell them about the transfer.

Teddy Sheringham was also there watching his son who was playing for Palace.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
A bunch of lovely folks on Twitter as usual...

View attachment 129516

[TWEET]1316752531930910721[/TWEET]

Actually makes my heart sink that people can still think like this / defend the indefensible. A palace **** (expected of them - wonder if any of our fans would congratulate the Villa fan who sent Zaha racist abuse - and wonder if he’d feel it fine if they did...) , a random sheff utd fan saying does anyone care about us (one season in prem and think they’re massive Wednesday) and various other homophobic knobs (think ones Leeds). Appalling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here