Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tory plan to destroy the Beeb...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Why wait until 2020...if they are that good at what they do let them compete in the real world...

1st queens speech should include the abolition of the tv tax ....I mean licience fee.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
They've always been in Murdoch's back pocket..

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/11/john-whittingdale-culture-secretary-bbc-charter-renewal

One of few things we have that is world class. What will be left come 2020?

There is nothing in that article to suggest they want to 'destroy the Beeb', it all seems pretty sensible. I think the BBC has become too arrogant and complacent, there is precious little to watch other than endless soaps, serials, gameshows, repeats, award ceremonies etc,etc. What are they doing with all the billions they get? certainly not spending it on new talent and productions.

I think a percentage of the license fee should be made available to the other broadcasters and independent production companies so they can compete on an even footing and produce new ideas. The BBC should then reduce it's staffing levels by about 25% and spend the savings on new programming.

The BBC is out of touch with the real world and needs a good shake-up if it is to survive.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The BBC is world class. Keep things as they are - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
There is nothing in that article to suggest they want to 'destroy the Beeb', it all seems pretty sensible. I think the BBC has become too arrogant and complacent, there is precious little to watch other than endless soaps, serials, gameshows, repeats, award ceremonies etc,etc. What are they doing with all the billions they get? certainly not spending it on new talent and productions.

I think a percentage of the license fee should be made available to the other broadcasters and independent production companies so they can compete on an even footing and produce new ideas. The BBC should then reduce it's staffing levels by about 25% and spend the savings on new programming.

The BBC is out of touch with the real world and needs a good shake-up if it is to survive.

I hardly watch any TV but listen to a lot of radio & the Beeb's footy coverage alone is worth the licence fee.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
50% of the fee should be set aside in perpetuity for the victims of the sexual abuse the BBC turned a blind eye to for the best part of 50 years.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The BBC is world class. Keep things as they are - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Its a cultural institution that provides a broad range to programming to almost every group, anyone how has lived overseas will soon realise the Beeb is world class.

The problem is the Tories just don't like the way its not politically motivated in their favour. A lot on the right would love to dispose of Ofcom and have a Fox News UK / Mail Daily TV as the daily staple.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Fear-mongering yet again. Those evil Tories. Once they've destroyed the BBC and the NHS they can finally re-introduce ritualistic sacrifices to the god of the sun.

What? Did nobody actually read their manifesto?

Well ... There seem to be a few NSC users who'd like to see the BBC destroyed. I dare say that same opinion can also be found in the higher reaches of the Tory party.

It seems perfectly reasonable for supporters of the BBC and the licence fee to be worried.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The BBC is out of touch with the real world and needs a good shake-up if it is to survive

Indeed, it should be making much more compelling TV in the form of Come Dine With me, Coach Trip, Embarrassing Bodies and import more of those nice American filler shows like Different Strokes, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. More proggrames which involve doing rooms up and people buying paperweights and selling them for 50p more than they paid for them would be good too.

I see they have wasted another few million on some series about Sharks, what's the point of that, we all know they kill people in South Africa and Australia, end of,waste of time just endless film of Sharks swimming up and down and WE are paying for this while some thrill seeking diver with a Go-Pro gets paid for his jolly's.. As for their news coverage and local radio, well, most of the local radios I can't be bothered with as they have no local interest for me so what's the point of having them all, just keep Radio Sussex and dump the rest.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Fear-mongering yet again. Those evil Tories. Once they've destroyed the BBC and the NHS they can finally re-introduce ritualistic sacrifices to the god of the sun.

What? Did nobody actually read their manifesto?
That argument would ne a litttle more convincing if this wasn't the main story on the Telegraph website. The conservatives are obviously letting their supporters in the press know that their reward is coming

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
That argument would ne a litttle more convincing if this wasn't the main story on the Telegraph website. The conservatives are obviously letting their supporters in the press know that their reward is coming

So what's the actual story?

They appointed a cabinet minister who once said that the license fee is like a poll tax.

It is, isn't it?

Whether you disagree or not, it's utter sensationalism to suggest from that they plan to "destroy the BBC" on the back of this appointment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Indeed, it should be making much more compelling TV in the form of Come Dine With me, Coach Trip, Embarrassing Bodies and import more of those nice American filler shows like Different Strokes, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. More proggrames which involve doing rooms up and people buying paperweights and selling them for 50p more than they paid for them would be good too.

I see they have wasted another few million on some series about Sharks, what's the point of that, we all know they kill people in South Africa and Australia, end of,waste of time just endless film of Sharks swimming up and down and WE are paying for this while some thrill seeking diver with a Go-Pro gets paid for his jolly's.. As for their news coverage and local radio, well, most of the local radios I can't be bothered with as they have no local interest for me so what's the point of having them all, just keep Radio Sussex and dump the rest.

Succinctly put.

Why is it on these threads that people can't actually see that at less than 50p a day, the beeb is excellent value for money.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Succinctly put.

Why is it on these threads that people can't actually see that at less than 50p a day, the beeb is excellent value for money.

How to make something expensive seem cheap: divide by 365 and quote per day.

£180/year doesn't sound so great if you're not a Cash in the Attic fan.

Keep the news, keep the national radio and website, keep the core channels, scrap the rest and maybe it could be 10p a day!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
So what's the actual story?

They appointed a cabinet minister who once said that the license fee is like a poll tax.

It is, isn't it?

Whether you disagree or not, it's utter sensationalism to suggest from that they plan to "destroy the BBC" on the back of this appointment.

But the narrative here is this is more lefties whinging. It's not, this is a story straight from conservative head office.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here