Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talksport presenter let's rip at qpr

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He is right. An utter disgrace. £190m parachute payments over the next three years*

*Minimum income should they not bounce back.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I wish we heard more of this sort of reporting.

Modern football really is rubbish, isn't it?

As an aside, I used to play cricket in the same team as the reporter, Mark Saggers. He was very good, and kept wicket for Cambridgeshire. He was close to replacing Bob Taylor when he retired at Derbyshire.

Not that this will interest anyone except me! :smile:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Premiership TV rights..
PL-TV-split-13-14-forecasts1.jpg

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its about time someone in the media had the guts to say what most of us now feel about the game we fell in love with as youngsters and is now filling us with disillusionment and apathy. Its not the people's game anymore, its the players game. They completely control it. They decide if they can be bothered to play or not and whether they want to bust a gut for a particular manager. Highly paid professionals going through the motions and being allowed to get away with it because there is no accountability. They get rewarded for failure and for inactivity. The manager takes all the responsibility and carries the can for the failure of his players to carry out basic tasks.
You wouldn't mind if they were any good but most of them aren't. They are bang average at best. Players wages spiral upwards, fans pay more and more to watch, either live or from the comfort of their armchairs and the standard is declining. We are getting less and less value for money and the players are getting lazier and lazier. There isn't a desire to hone skills anymore as dishonesty has become the norm rather than the occasional. If players can cheat and con officials to gain decisions rather than display skill to beat an opponent, then they will. They know they are going to get away with it. The corrupt and ineffectual governing bodies turn a blind eye to it. Why rock the boat. They are gorging at the trough of largesse and enjoying life.
Many fans are to blame as well, heralding the present game as light years ahead of the past. They are watching fitter athletes enjoying the benefits of hugely advanced sports science, much better facilities for training and playing. Equipment is better, balls are lighter and most grounds are an improvement on what has gone before. A lot of fans dismiss the past as irrelevant, the dark ages, hoofball and thuggery. Heavy pitches and kit. They mock film of old players as if they are something out of a Chaplin movie. They are like the players, lazy. They can't be bothered to read about the game, to study old footage, to listen to wise old heads talking about players. They don't see any good in what went before. They believe that footballing life began with the Premier League.( It didn't. ) I heard a former professional recently refer to ' old-school ' football on the radio and I wondered what he meant. Did he mean players who were more hungry because they could at least double their money with win bonuses?. Did he mean players who could control the ball with one touch and pass accurately to teammates? Did he mean players who had learnt the art of heading the ball, of hanging in the air to meet a cross. Did he mean players who could tackle properly and didn't dive in two footed every few minutes? Did he mean players who could dribble and beat players? Did he mean wide players who could cross the ball accurately and in a measured way? Did he mean players who thought only of beating the goalkeeper when they were one on one in the box? Did he mean players who were just as skillful if not more skillful than todays players? Did he mean players who challenged strongly for the ball and stayed on their feet?
Did he mean players who were loved by the fans, either for their skill and cheekiness, their passion and effort or for their quirkyness? Did he mean players who played for the love of the game and didn't demand a kings ransom until they had proved themselves? Did he mean players who regarded the ultimate honour as representing their country and the greatest day as walking out in an FA Cup Final?
If he meant any of these things, then ' old school ' wins for me over the ugliness that now permeates our game. The balance has gone too far the other way now and the players are untouchable. Cossetted and pampered, they help line the pockets of agents, spivs and all other assorted detritus that the game now attracts. My problem is, its still in my blood, coursing through my veins. I don't like a hell of a lot of what I see but I can't give it up.
QPR are a prime example of how to get it wrong in football and Saggers called it right. If Barton concentrated more on the pitch rather than on social media, he may make himself a better player. Overpaid, average foreign imports and loanees, barely breaking sweat. A manager on a hiding to nothing.
Phew, I'm exhausted. Rant over. Time for a cup of tea.
p.s Who is playing tonight?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Its about time someone in the media had the guts to say what most of us now feel about the game we fell in love with as youngsters and is now filling us with disillusionment and apathy. Its not the people's game anymore, its the players game. They completely control it. They decide if they can be bothered to play or not and whether they want to bust a gut for a particular manager. Highly paid professionals going through the motions and being allowed to get away with it because there is no accountability. They get rewarded for failure and for inactivity. The manager takes all the responsibility and carries the can for the failure of his players to carry out basic tasks.
You wouldn't mind if they were any good but most of them aren't. They are bang average at best. Players wages spiral upwards, fans pay more and more to watch, either live or from the comfort of their armchairs and the standard is declining. We are getting less and less value for money and the players are getting lazier and lazier. There isn't a desire to hone skills anymore as dishonesty has become the norm rather than the occasional. If players can cheat and con officials to gain decisions rather than display skill to beat an opponent, then they will. They know they are going to get away with it. The corrupt and ineffectual governing bodies turn a blind eye to it. Why rock the boat. They are gorging at the trough of largesse and enjoying life.
Many fans are to blame as well, heralding the present game as light years ahead of the past. They are watching fitter athletes enjoying the benefits of hugely advanced sports science, much better facilities for training and playing. Equipment is better, balls are lighter and most grounds are an improvement on what has gone before. A lot of fans dismiss the past as irrelevant, the dark ages, hoofball and thuggery. Heavy pitches and kit. They mock film of old players as if they are something out of a Chaplin movie. They are like the players, lazy. They can't be bothered to read about the game, to study old footage, to listen to wise old heads talking about players. They don't see any good in what went before. They believe that footballing life began with the Premier League.( It didn't. ) I heard a former professional recently refer to ' old-school ' football on the radio and I wondered what he meant. Did he mean players who were more hungry because they could at least double their money with win bonuses?. Did he mean players who could control the ball with one touch and pass accurately to teammates? Did he mean players who had learnt the art of heading the ball, of hanging in the air to meet a cross. Did he mean players who could tackle properly and didn't dive in two footed every few minutes? Did he mean players who could dribble and beat players? Did he mean wide players who could cross the ball accurately and in a measured way? Did he mean players who thought only of beating the goalkeeper when they were one on one in the box? Did he mean players who were just as skillful if not more skillful than todays players? Did he mean players who challenged strongly for the ball and stayed on their feet?
Did he mean players who were loved by the fans, either for their skill and cheekiness, their passion and effort or for their quirkyness? Did he mean players who played for the love of the game and didn't demand a kings ransom until they had proved themselves? Did he mean players who regarded the ultimate honour as representing their country and the greatest day as walking out in an FA Cup Final?
If he meant any of these things, then ' old school ' wins for me over the ugliness that now permeates our game. The balance has gone too far the other way now and the players are untouchable. Cossetted and pampered, they help line the pockets of agents, spivs and all other assorted detritus that the game now attracts. My problem is, its still in my blood, coursing through my veins. I don't like a hell of a lot of what I see but I can't give it up.
QPR are a prime example of how to get it wrong in football and Saggers called it right. If Barton concentrated more on the pitch rather than on social media, he may make himself a better player. Overpaid, average foreign imports and loanees, barely breaking sweat. A manager on a hiding to nothing.

Top rant I commend and agree wholeheartedly.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Spot on. As is the Talksport chap.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Its about time someone in the media had the guts to say what most of us now feel about the game we fell in love with as youngsters and is now filling us with disillusionment and apathy. Its not the people's game anymore, its the players game...

Top, top ranting; agree with every word. I know there are talented overseas players in the PL but when did we last see a British player with the skill of George Best or Jim Baxter? With the passing ability of John White or Johnny Haynes (or even Glenn Hoddle)? It seems we're paying more and more for worse and worse players. And there's no end in sight

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Top, top ranting; agree with every word. I know there are talented overseas players in the like apprentice trademen did.but when did we last see a British player with the skill of George Best or Jim Baxter? With the passing ability of John White or Johnny Haynes (or even Glenn Hoddle)? It seems we're paying more and more for worse and worse players. And there's no end in sight

This is probably due to our culture and expectations in life generally rather than just football. From leaving school we expect the highest possible wage and in most cases now school leavers dont want to learn the job on a low wage like apprentices did. No all obviously. The wage demand of a player coming from a remote South American, Eastern European or African country will be a lot less than the expectation of someone from Brighton, Birmingham or Bristol.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick

Absolutely 100% agree and to be honest as a football fan who couldn't ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mo makes some good points there, not least the comparison between pre and post Premier League football. And I agree about lazy players.

Would Spurs have lost 3-0 at Stoke, or Arsenal have lost 1-0 to Swansea, or QPR lost 6-0 in the manner they did were it not for the fact half of those sides are already mentally on the beach?

With QPR your mind goes back to City's first Prem title and the 3-2 game. Back then QPR gave it a go, they didn't lay down and die. Then there's Newcastle - 1 point from 27.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Good Lord, that is s superb rant. Top work. Very much agree, too. It won't be long until fans just walk away. The FCUM model and the AFC Wimbledon model will hopefully become more prevalent in the future with disillusioned fans moving away from "big clubs" and moving back into football closer to grass roots.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Yeap football is slowly eating itself. How long before its Pay per View for the top PL games? The amazing stat is how few teams bounce straight back from the Championship despite the millions in the parachute payments...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A QPR supporting Guardian reporter also ripped into the club on The Football Weekly Podcast.

Ending with words to the effect of:-

'I know most other fans hate QPR, I fully understand that, I hate the club too'. :lolol:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Five Live also had a long rant at QPR Monday night (pre Arsenal so around 7:30 onwards on iplayer). They had an expert on regards the punishment and they joked that according to the rules QPR should be rejected from all 3 leagues.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here