Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Farage stays as UKIP leader after resignation rejected

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Mr Farage is to remain as UKIP leader after the party rejected his resignation.

Mr Farage had previously said he would stand down after failing to win a seat in last week's general election.

But the party said there was "overwhelmingly evidence" the UKIP membership did not want Mr Farage to go."

Since when was this allowed to happen?! ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Mr Farage is to remain as UKIP leader after the party rejected his resignation.

Mr Farage had previously said he would stand down after failing to win a seat in last week's general election.

But the party said there was "overwhelmingly evidence" the UKIP membership did not want Mr Farage to go."

Since when was this allowed to happen?! ???

What? Politicians going back on their promises? Don't think it's a new thing.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I think they realise there is no UKIP without him. To be fair with a referendum on Europe, I can not see where they can go.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
All we need now is Russel Brand to make good on his pledge !

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He did want to quit but the party refused it!

Of course he didn't 'want to quit'. Don't be so dense! He offered his resignation so he didn't get slated for going back on his word, safe in the knowledge that they'd beg him to stay on. If he genuinely wanted out there is nothing they can actually do to 'refuse it'.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
He is UKIP. They have tried to promote others within the party but fail miserably. His ego wouldn't allow anyone else to run the party.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
If anyone actually believed that Farage was going to go then they'll believe anything. He's just like the rest of them, like it or not.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
He 'had' to offer his resignation if not elected and has.

Clearly the party still want him, we shall see if he still wants to lead them.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
I think they realise there is no UKIP without him. To be fair with a referendum on Europe, I can not see where they can go.

They will be a strong counter argument against Europe, the Government and Political elite will be strongly pushing a yes vote and telling you all sorts of nasty stories about being outside Europe, The commission itself will spend millions (of out money) telling you what a good job it does. They will lead the out vote I feel. Remember France and Ireland when they voted no and had to vote again until they got it right?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Utter, utter shambles of a party.

From Farage's own book "The Purple Revolution":

“The consequences of me failing to secure a seat for myself in the Commons would be significant for both myself and the party."

“It is frankly just not credible for me to continue to lead the party without a Westminster seat."

“What credibility would Ukip have in the Commons if others had to enunciate party policy in Parliament and the party leader was only allowed in as a guest?

“Was I supposed to brief Ukip policy from the Westminster Arms? No – if I fail to win South Thanet, it is curtains for me. I will have to step down.”

And from his resignation speech:

"Now, I said as this campaign went on that if I didn’t win I would stand down as leader of Ukip. I know that you in the media are used to party leaders making endless promises that they don’t actually keep, but I’m a man of my word, I don’t break my word, so I shall be writing to the Ukip national executive in a few minutes saying that I am standing down as leader of Ukip. I will recommend that pro-temp they put in place as acting leader Suzanne Evans, who I think has emerged from this campaign as an absolute tower of strength within Ukip.

She works in London, she’s based in the London office and I think that’s the right way for us to go."

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I loved his resignation. Going to relax through the summer with minimal politics... whilst ignoring his MEP duties and pocketing how much with his immigrant wife?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I like Farage . He is one of the more likable politicians out there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The guy couldn't even get elected to South Thanet and he's seen his party's seat count reduced from 2 to 1. Even then, the only 2 MPs they've had have been former Tories fighting their previously-held seats.

My feelings on Farage - you've made your point you Palace w4nker, now piss off back into the wilderness.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course he didn't 'want to quit'. Don't be so dense! He offered his resignation so he didn't get slated for going back on his word
He should get slated. If he said 'If I don't get elected, I will offer my resignation', then fair enough. If, as I suspect, he said 'I'll quit', then he should get slated, because he hasn't quit.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Great stuff, Nigel Farage is UKIP. He should have been campaigning in the seat the other UKIP guy won.

EU referendum should be interesting, is Norway worse of than Greece ?

Would we be better off with the Euro instead of the pound, I don't think so.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great stuff, Nigel Farage is UKIP. He should have been campaigning in the seat the other UKIP guy won.

Really? The party has two MPs and he should campaign against one of them? It's also dodgy that a party is closely identified with an individual - that's a party with no longevity

EU referendum should be interesting, is Norway worse of than Greece ?

Not the best example: UKIP rejects the Norway model as it means giving funds to the EU

Would we be better off with the Euro instead of the pound, I don't think so.

Again, not the best example. I don't think any British party is suggesting joining the Euro

I think Farage has made the biggest cock-up of his career. He'll never again be able to say that he's different from other politicians. This will come back to haunt him

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here