Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Without Googling - what does Albion mean?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I was in the pub the other day when a woman I was sitting with asked me what the word "albion" meant, I realised I had never really thought about it, or bothered to find out.

I told her what I thought and then checked on Google and realised I was completely wrong.

Without checking Google did you know what it meant - or am I the only one blissfully unaware?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
England - I genuinely didn't know this until last year myself :down:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
All the above are correct, I incorrectly assumed it was similar to United, but I hadn't ever bothered to find out. I was a bit flummoxed when someone asked me.

Brighton and Hove Britain doesn't really make a lot of sense does it?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Was always told it was a name for England. At least that's how it was used in Shakespeare's work.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Isn't it from ancient Greek? I bet Gwylan may know - he's neither ancient nor Greek but wicked clever - I thought it came from ancient explorers seeing the white cliffs. Presumably albino shares the same etymology.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
"perfidious Albion" has long been a pejorative phrase used by other countries to describe treacherous and duplicitous acts by British governments. I've always thought it had a nice ring to it.
I expect we'll hear it used again in the coming months in the context of Cameron trying to find ways of getting special treatment for the UK in the EU.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfidious_Albion

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Isn't it something to do with pale faces, white hair and weird pink eyes ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here