Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is NSC planning a period of silence / reflection at around 3:40pm ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Without sounding harsh, I won't be observing this, I have never thought about the Capitol shootings and to be fair if we had a moments silence everytime some random nutter started shooting at people in the US, nothing would ever get done.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Assume HB&B is referring to Bradford City Fire. So will respect that and not make silly comments about same.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Needs expansion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/11/newsid_2523000/2523561.stm

1985: Fans killed in Bradford stadium fire
At least 52 people are known to have died and many are missing after fire engulfed the Bradford City football stadium.
Hundreds of people are in hospital suffering from burns. Most of the dead are children or elderly people crushed in the rush to escape the inferno.

Only one of the victims has been identified so far. He was former club chairman Samuel Firth, aged 86, who died in hospital from burns.

I've never seen anything like it. The smoke was choking. You could hardly breathe

The tragedy has sent shockwaves around the world. The Queen, the Pope, the Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and church leaders have sent messages of condolence to a city in mourning.
The match began in an atmosphere of celebration as Bradford City, who had just been promoted to the second division, were about to play Lincoln City watched by more than 11,000 fans.

Just before kick-off Bradford City captain Peter Jackson was presented with the Third Division Championship trophy.

Five minutes before half time at 3.40pm a small fire was noticed three rows from the back of G block in the Valley Parade ground and fire-fighting equipment was requested.

Within minutes flames were visible and police started to evacuate people in the stand.

But the blaze spread very rapidly - within four minutes the whole of the roof and the wooden stands below were on fire and police struggled to save those who were too stunned or weak to escape.

One survivor spoke of the horror that he witnessed. "It spread like a flash," said 46-year-old Bradford City fan Geoffrey Mitchell. "I've never seen anything like it. The smoke was choking. You could hardly breathe.

"There was panic as fans stampeded to an exit which was padlocked. Two or three burly men put their weight against it and smashed the gate open. Otherwise I would not have been able to get out."

There is still no clue as to the cause of the fire.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Assume HB&B is referring to Bradford City Fire. So will respect that and not make silly comments about same.

Well that makes more sense. Only thing I found was Capitol shootings strangely flagged as also having a 15:40 silence.
I imagine the OP knew this and should have had more detail .

But no, I won't be observing either silence.

D

Deleted User X18H

I was referring specifically and exclusively to the Bradford Fire .

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

For those who may be too young to remember.

Caution: The video does contain some upsetting scenes.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I stood, along with 1000's more, in total silence for one minute at the Amex at the last home game. This was done throughout all leagues in memory of the Bradford fire victims.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Watching the video again brings up a few of points.
The police, who have been rightly slaughtered for their lies at Hillsborough, went in with no thought for their safety but only to rescue the fans.
My Uncle used to smoke in the Goldstone West Stand seating along with loads of others. With the old fencing around the ground we would never have got out.
In the last few seconds a crush barrier can be seen in the left hand stand that has been bent. Shouldn't be able to do this unless it was the heat.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Watching the video again brings up a few of points.
The police, who have been rightly slaughtered for their lies at Hillsborough, went in with no thought for their safety but only to rescue the fans.
My Uncle used to smoke in the Goldstone West Stand seating along with loads of others. With the old fencing around the ground we would never have got out.
In the last few seconds a crush barrier can be seen in the left hand stand that has been bent. Shouldn't be able to do this unless it was the heat.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, but it was a different police force ie West Yorkshire not South Yorkshire.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here