Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR - now relegated, will they have to pay their FFP fine?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

As I understand it, QPR owe £58 million as an unpaid FFP fine to be paid to the Football League.

Will they now have to pay it, or will they now fight it in the courts?

I would have thought the Football League have a chance to demand payment and could threaten to refuse them entry to take part in The Championship next season, but it's probably not that simple...

This from an article published today-

QPR’s financial future is uncertain in the extreme, with the prospect of a £58m fine from the Football League for financial fair play irregularities hanging over the club. Ramsey said: “The owners will save us from going over the edge. I don’t really understand the bits and bobs of what has gone on before I came. We have very good owners and board members that will make sure we put something in place to make sure QPR don’t end up like some of the other teams that have slid all the way down the divisions and ended up in the financial mire.”

http://gu.com/p/489ec

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They get like 60mill parachute dont they?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Parachute payment probably comes from Premier League coffers so the Football League may not be able to intervene.

QPR could it seems choose to spend their parachute payment on their fine... I'm assuming however that they intend to blitz that cash on high-wage players in a bid for promotion..

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If FFP is designed top prevent clubs going bust, it might not be working?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It's not designed to do that.

Morning! I posted the following comment on your Money Money Money article. I know that you do not believe in FFP, but was just wondering what your thoughts were?

1. I see that from the 2014 figures, only 3 existing PL teams made a loss during that period - Man City, Aston Villa and Sunderland. This was due to the new FFP rules (the 105m loss over 3 seasons) which including capping wages spent at 52m quid per season per club. A few questions if I may:

1. I understand that the 52m cap was just 52m of TV revenue money and that anything earned beyond that from tickets etc was not part of the capping. Is that correct?
    2. Under the new TV deal, have these limits been raised?
    3. Having slagged off clubs for not getting their financial house in order and been rather sceptical of FFP, I was pleasantly surprised to see these figures. If they do not raise the salary caps substantially under the new deal, this appears to be having a quite dramatic effect already on football finance and perhaps sustainability is finally something that clubs actually do want to achieve afterall. Any thoughts?​

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I will be amazed if QPR pay their full fine.

This will just send the message to other clubs that you can get a discount on any penalty - so build that into your risk/reward strategies for busting FFP.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Morning! I posted the following comment on your Money Money Money article. I know that you do not believe in FFP, but was just wondering what your thoughts were?

1. I see that from the 2014 figures, only 3 existing PL teams made a loss during that period - Man City, Aston Villa and Sunderland. This was due to the new FFP rules (the 105m loss over 3 seasons) which including capping wages spent at 52m quid per season per club. A few questions if I may:

1. I understand that the 52m cap was just 52m of TV revenue money and that anything earned beyond that from tickets etc was not part of the capping. Is that correct?
    2. Under the new TV deal, have these limits been raised?
    3. Having slagged off clubs for not getting their financial house in order and been rather sceptical of FFP, I was pleasantly surprised to see these figures. If they do not raise the salary caps substantially under the new deal, this appears to be having a quite dramatic effect already on football finance and perhaps sustainability is finally something that clubs actually do want to achieve afterall. Any thoughts?​

The rules are a bit messy.

If your current wage bill is £30 million, you can raise it to £52m plus £4m a year plus anything else earned from non TV sources. Whether this will continue from 2016/17 when the new TV deal kicks in is uncertain.

The PL is making a profit collectively in 2013/14 due mainly to TV revenues, not FFP. It's in the interests of the club owners (12 of whom are foreign) to cap wages as it means more money for themselves. Football is no longer being seen as a vanity purchase but as a business in which you can make money. The PL allows a £105m loss over three seasons under its FFP rules, which isn't particularly challenging for most clubs.

The Championship is another case altogether though.

Last edited:

el punal

If QPR have money coming out of their ears (or seem to be), apart from a huge fine, surely a points deduction would be more appropriate - 10/15 points or whatever at the start of the season. That would then show that the FL mean business and multi-million pound owners would not be able to bail out their club with a fat cheque.

Look forward to the decision with interest.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

As I understand it, QPR owe £58 million as an unpaid FFP fine to be paid to the Football League.

Will they now have to pay it, or will they now fight it in the courts?

I would have thought the Football League have a chance to demand payment and could threaten to refuse them entry to take part in The Championship next season, but it's probably not that simple...

This from an article published today-

QPR’s financial future is uncertain in the extreme, with the prospect of a £58m fine from the Football League for financial fair play irregularities hanging over the club. Ramsey said: “The owners will save us from going over the edge. I don’t really understand the bits and bobs of what has gone on before I came. We have very good owners and board members that will make sure we put something in place to make sure QPR don’t end up like some of the other teams that have slid all the way down the divisions and ended up in the financial mire.”

http://gu.com/p/489ec

Based on the discussions with the FL, there is considerable dispute between what QPR think they owe and what the FL think they owe (I believe they both agree something is owed). From what I've read QPR are arguing £50m of spending is from written-off loans should not be considered and therefore they overspent by a mere £8.5m.

I sincerely hope that the FL refuse QPR entry to ANY of their leagues otherwise the whole FFP project will be a joke and have no credibility at all. Loopholes such as shirt sponsorships etc should be closed off quickly but to allow QPR to write of a massive portion of their spending and not punish them defeats the basic principle.

I have no axe to grind against the club, but they should be made an example of.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If QPR have money coming out of their ears (or seem to be), apart from a huge fine, surely a points deduction would be more appropriate - 10/15 points or whatever at the start of the season. That would then show that the FL mean business and multi-million pound owners would not be able to bail out their club with a fat cheque.

Look forward to the decision with interest.

It might be, but it's not in the rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here