Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York derby: 'A spectacle unlike anything we've seen'

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Can you invent a derby - as Major League Soccer has done with Sunday's match between the New York Red Bulls and New York City FC? The former - founding members of the league in 1995 (albeit under the name of the MetroStars) already have sworn enemies in DC United, but now have a new derby to contest, with Manchester City-owned NYC FC moving onto their patch this season.

Most footballing rivalries are based on decades - sometimes even centuries - of animosity, so can the New York derby be described as a rivalry at all?

"Not really," says Bradley Wright-Phillips, the Red Bulls' top scorer last season. "DC United are our rivals. There's no history between the Red Bulls and New York City, it's just that we share the same city.

Wright-Phillips, the former Manchester City striker, might not feel the tension that comes with a traditional derby, but the rivalry is already fierce between the two sets of supporters.

"The fans don't like each other," says Nick Chavez, a NYC FC fan and blogger. "NYC FC fans have taken a lot of abuse, not just from Red Bull fans but from fans around MLS. It should be a spectacle unlike anything else ever seen in an MLS match."

For all that MLS has undeniably grown over the past decade or so, the division has struggled to cultivate the sort of rivalry that drives almost every other division around the world. The league is counting on the New York derby to become North American football's defining contest.

However, the introduction of New York City FC has fluttered a red rag at the Red Bulls - with both clubs now scrambling for ticket sales and supporters. The two teams might not have played their first derby, but the battle has long been raging off the field - with billboards and adverts promoting the clubs commonplace across the Big Apple; overlooking freeways, on the subway and even in Times Square."

Good times for American 'soccer' and the growth of the MLS

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I'm going to the match - but to describe it as a "spectacle unlike anything we've seen" is a bit OTT. It should be a good match and on paper Red Bulls should win, but NYCFC has not really lived up to all the hype that was generated when they became the latest MLS team. They haven't won in 7 games, their star player David Villa has been injured and the whole will he/ won't he thing with Lampard has become something of an irritation to the NYCFC faithful (I've always supported Red Bulls - can't get that excited about watching a game of football played in a baseball stadium and they are half owned by the Yankees which was the kiss of death for me).

But there is no denying that the growth of MLS is a good thing, they just need to start having more confidence in their own players rather than keep importing aging European 'superstars' who are looking for an easy payday

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm going to the match - but to describe it as a "spectacle unlike anything we've seen" is a bit OTT. It should be a good match and on paper Red Bulls should win, but NYCFC has not really lived up to all the hype that was generated when they became the latest MLS team. They haven't won in 7 games, their star player David Villa has been injured and the whole will he/ won't he thing with Lampard has become something of an irritation to the NYCFC faithful (I've always supported Red Bulls - can't get that excited about watching a game of football played in a baseball stadium and they are half owned by the Yankees which was the kiss of death for me).

But there is no denying that the growth of MLS is a good thing, they just need to start having more confidence in their own players rather than keep importing aging European 'superstars' who are looking for an easy payday

Do the winners get "The World (insert advertiser) New York (insert advertiser) Cup Champion of the Universe (insert advertiser) Award"

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I do worry about a league that can have one team that has played 5 games so far (montreal) and another who has played 11 (phily). I do like the MLS but that is bizarre

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
And the bragging rights go to the Red Bulls - beating NYCFC 2-1

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
3 encounters and 3 wins by Red Bulls, 2-0 tonight. Always nice to see NYCFC lose, just shows that having 2 wealthy owners – Man City and the Yankees – doesn’t always equal success. Crowd of just over 25K. I think Kreis will be under huge pressure now after playing both Lampard and Pirlo and still failing to get a win. I thought that Lampard had an average game, apart from a few near misses didn’t really do a lot.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Little interest in this but NYCFC is a great acronym.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
East Coast up itself as usual Pacific North West has biggest crowds and most meaningful derbies in MLS. They even get quite raucous. No footie around here unfortunately but I did see a couple of billboards proclaiming Stevie G as the messiah on a recent trip to LA. Population of 10-15m and crowds the size of BHA. Maybe MLS still needs the old pros for a while yet?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I went to the (top of the table) Vancouver Whitecaps v Seattle Sounders game in May and the standard of play is league 1 at best.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Here is the rivalry to see?

[video]https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=939378079 441692&id=625056280873875[/video]

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I think the Red Bulls fans have got Frankie sussed

RBNYCFC.JPG

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
East Coast up itself as usual Pacific North West has biggest crowds and most meaningful derbies in MLS. They even get quite raucous. No footie around here unfortunately but I did see a couple of billboards proclaiming Stevie G as the messiah on a recent trip to LA. Population of 10-15m and crowds the size of BHA. Maybe MLS still needs the old pros for a while yet?

Any talk of an MLS franchise in the San Diego area? One of my favourite US cities, loved it over there :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I went to the (top of the table) Vancouver Whitecaps v Seattle Sounders game in May and the standard of play is league 1 at best.
I saw some of the Sounders vs LA at the weekend, and they were better than us.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm going to the match - but to describe it as a "spectacle unlike anything we've seen" is a bit OTT.

The quote, as above, says "It should be a spectacle unlike anything else ever seen in an MLS match" which is fair enough, no?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

That's because there is no way MLS is "League 1 at best". This is a league that develops pretty much all the half decent players from America these days - and the Americans have been better than us in the past two World Cups now. It's largely a Championship standard league with one or two ageing players but also one or two young(ish) players who could play at a top six club in any league in the world - Giovani Dos Santos (signed from cash strapped Villareal for one) and even more so, Sebastian Giovinco signed for £6m from Juve who really is utter class.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

That's because there is no way MLS is "League 1 at best". This is a league that develops pretty much all the half decent players from America these days - and the Americans have been better than us in the past two World Cups now. It's largely a Championship standard league with one or two ageing players but also one or two young(ish) players who could play at a top six club in any league in the world - Giovani Dos Santos (signed from cash strapped Villareal for one) and even more so, Sebastian Giovinco signed for £6m from Juve who really is utter class.

Well the match I saw was very poor, Clint Dempsey looked as interested as Leon Best, maybe I was unlucky. Best bit about it was being able to drink in my seat and it was quite amusing hearing the Whitecap fans singing build a bonfire.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All three north West teams sing build a bonfire [emoji38]ol:

And yes, Dempsey has been bang average this season, no question. The Sounders are a big club with some costly players and yet they've lost four straight now. I do like the relative parity that you see in MLS.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The quote, as above, says "It should be a spectacle unlike anything else ever seen in an MLS match" which is fair enough, no?

I replied to the thread title - and stand by my comments

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here