Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the Scots Nats snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
As the SNP contemplate 5 years of representing nothing more significant than tartan wallpaper in the House of Commons - did Nicola Sturgeon overplay her fistful of aces?

Pushing at an open door, should she have been more conciliatory and less arrogant towards the English rather than wind us up. The mistake that the Scots made is to assume the English have little pride and that we would meekly allow our hard earned rewards to be sent unproportionally north to appease the Scots.

Big mistake!

I love my amazing country too, Nicola!

Listening to BBC Radio Scotland, a conversation I heard indicates they will swop cards for straws – clutching the belief that during the next Parliament Tories will disappear through death or disease at a sufficient rate that their majority will be wiped out just in time. Bearing in mind boundary changes and the size of most Tory majorities – perhaps they shouldn’t’ stray too far from a haystack?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I certainly believe that The SNPs difficulties are only just beginning - mostly because the Leader is in Scotland but the power base is in London and sooner or later some big egos are going to collide. I put this on another thread last night but as I am too lazy on a Sunday morning to re-write my assessment I just copied it below. Interesting times ahead for Scottish Nationalism...

Will be interesting to see the unfolding dynamic between Salmond and Sturgeon. Politics is a brutal game but often the most brutal rivalries are between party colleagues. Sturgeon has stolen the limelight since she became leader but all the focus is now going to be on their Westminster MPs with Salmond as their de-facto leader. I can't imagine Sturgeon is going to be happy playing in the Scottish non-League when Alex is in the Premier League down in London. I can see all the media focus switching back to Salmond and plenty of tensions within the SNP in the months and years ahead.

All the important dialogue is going to happen in London - be it between Westminster politicians or on TV interviews on the evening bulletins or Newsnight. Nicola is going to end up waiting by a phone for a scheduled call from the Office of The Prime Minister that mysteriously never comes or drops out because, "the Prime Minister has been called away. My name is Quentin. I'm the Deputy Principal Private Under Secretary for the Scottish Office - perhaps I can help?" Or on one of those wonky TV links with a picture of Edinburgh Castle in the background.

Meanwhile, Alex will be trooping in and out of Downing Street and appearing on Newsnight 3 nights a week. With Sturgeon stranded at Holyrood and Salmond wearing the big trousers in Westminster Cameron can play the SNP anyway he chooses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here