Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did anyone watch the VE celebrations on BBC last night ?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I missed about 10 minutes of it last night due to a visitor. I thought the show itself was well done BUT....didn't we have a Navy in the war...not only the Royal Navy but the forgotten Navy the Merchant...it is possible that I missed it during the 10 minutes.
The RN fired the first shot during the war (as in the Great War),they recorded the first victory...suffered appalling losses during the Atlantic and Arctic convoys yet the only matelot Isaw was the one dancing in Trafalgar Square on the news reel.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It was a good show and we thoroughly enjoyed it but yes, you are right, the navy (wavy or merchant marine) were notably absent but then so were other branches I guess.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I thought the whole thing was c*** , did us no favours , jingoistic, m(p)uppets sat there waving Union flags, Status Quo performing a song best forgotten and don't start me on Blue in RAF uniforms....thought it was supposed to celebrate Victory In Europe Day, not a whole history of WW2 ? Thank God Plymouth v Wycombe was on as a distraction !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought the whole thing was c*** , did us no favours , jingoistic, m(p)uppets sat there waving Union flags, Status Quo performing a song best forgotten and don't start me on Blue in RAF uniforms....thought it was supposed to celebrate Victory In Europe Day, not a whole history of WW2 ? Thank God Plymouth v Wycombe was on as a distraction !

Good job you didn't watch it as you were watching Plymouth vs Wycombe. You would have hated it. It had status quo, union flags, jingoism and blue. Phew. You must be so relieved

Personally speaking, we enjoyed it. Great singing, great dancing, brilliant big band and terrific atmosphere created.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
They re-enacted the Prague uprising near where i live yesterday. Was epic!. Tanks, armoured cars, explosions, heavy machine gun fire.
They barracaded a street in Zizkov, and had the SS attacking it. Was very welll done, and very realistic.. Everybody standing very quiet for their national anthem at the end of it. DSC_1016.JPGDSC_1006.JPGDSC_1013.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1015.JPG
    DSC_1015.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 191
  • DSC_1017.JPG
    DSC_1017.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 185
  • DSC_1021.JPG
    DSC_1021.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 184
  • DSC_1038.JPG
    DSC_1038.JPG