Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't talk about religion and politics

Should we discuss religion and politics on NSC?

• Yes, we're all grown-ups here

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • No, we'll be happier if we don't

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

North Stand Polls

Feb 25, 2015
That's how the old saying goes. By avoiding these two divisive topics, people are likely to be far more harmonious.

The old missive seems to be ignored on the internet and, particularly, here on NSC.

Should we avoid discussing these topics to make NSC a happier place?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The diverse spread of topics and issues debated and discussed on NSC is one of the best things about the site. So many of the club forums I've seen are dead half the time due to a policy of keeping the talk strictly to football.

If NSC began edging closer to that kind of message board I could see a drop in use.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I've voted that we should talk about these things.

For me though, I don't read the religion ones because I find them depressing.

As far as politics goes, right now I'm feeling very sore but in general terms would rather these things are discussed. However, it's good to show respect and not descend to abuse. We are, after all, Albion fans here so have a shared passion in common if nothing else.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think we should talk about all sorts of things, especially local issues.

Where else do we go ? The Argus Comments section makes NSC look like the Putney Debates.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We have to go on as we are really. As a topic unfolds there will always be references from posters which hark back to previous posts/insults, usually about politics and often religion. It can sometimes be tedious, sometimes obnoxious but sometimes hilarious.

There are several posters on here who remind me of the " OI, NO !" character by Harry Enfield, they get so pumped up that someone has a different view to them which they just cannot cope with they have to blow up. I would not be surprised if keyboards have been short circuited by the amount of frothing at the mouth and bile pumped out by these two ulcer men on three ulcer jobs.( they know who they are ) But, its great fun watching the explosion develop.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we're all grown ups, most can put aside a trivial political argument for the sake of being behind the Albion. you might as well ask if we should stop threads about Murray or should we sign ex-premier league player who is on 50k a week, they create more disharmony. (actually, i wouldnt mind a ban on Murray threads, its one player from 3 years ago ffs)

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Why shouldn't we rejoice in the fact the democracy of this country has shown who we want to govern.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." Thomas Jefferson

I quite like the political and religious debates on here, if it was just about football then I think NSC loses its binfestary factor by a ton!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I like to think NSC (up to a point) mirrors the long train journeys up North with your mates on a Saturday,where no subject is off limits over a few beers.
If the chat was constantly about football on these trips i would have thrown myself out the window somewhere near Crewe many years ago.

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
U
I like to think NSC (up to a point) mirrors the long train journeys up North with your mates on a Saturday,where no subject is off limits over a few beers.
If the chat was constantly about football on these trips i would have thrown myself out the window somewhere near Crewe many years ago.[/QUOTE
Well your usually reading your paper on way up and losing money at cards on way back, as for throwing yourself through the train window well you have enough trouble squeezing through the doors

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I like the political debates, although you can just read the name in the left hand column and not bother to read the actual comment as you know what it'll say.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Well your usually reading your paper on way up and losing money at cards on way back, as for throwing yourself through the train window well you have enough trouble squeezing through the doors

there is no need to be rude,i have never linked your baldness to the vast amount of fishing magazines stuffed in your pockets that have enthralled us over the years

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Keep it as it is.

Most of us are adult enough to agree to disagree.

When my life was a complete car crash a few years ago, it was someone from NSC whose political views are different to mine who out of the blue contacted me and offered me a bed for the night before Christmas.

We all know, deep down, that ALL politicians will shaft us, just like all footballers who kiss the badge when they score will up sticks and take a pay rise should the opportunity arise.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i voted no. the level of political debate and entrenched views on here which largely leads to personal abuse - depresses me and angers me in equal measure. i try to avoid the threads mostly but get drawn in now and again.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The old missive came about when people debated these topics face to face and it was a sure fire way to upset your friends, neighbours and colleagues. Brits are by and large a very tolerant lot and try to get on with everybody, so avoid discussing these things at social gatherings and work.

The internet is the perfect place to debate these things since the most you are likely to get is a verbal kicking and it is easy to ignore someone - you do not have to deal with them face to face on a daily basis. Although there is still no need for personal abuse.

So carry on I say.

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
there is no need to be rude,i have never linked your baldness to the vast amount of fishing magazines stuffed in your pockets that have enthralled us over the years

Whoa reel yourself in there pasta as to my baldness that is a choice of haircut unlike those crop circles appearing on your swede,look just cause I got some interest outside football no need to knock it you should try it sometime instead of masterbating yourself stupid over someones politics ,anyway are we going to Aberdeen ?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I say mix em together and 'VOTE JESUS' no need for food banks he could feed everyone by the flicking his fingers.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I've voted that we should talk about these things.

For me though, I don't read the religion ones because I find them depressing.

As far as politics goes, right now I'm feeling very sore but in general terms would rather these things are discussed. However, it's good to show respect and not descend to abuse. We are, after all, Albion fans here so have a shared passion in common if nothing else.

There are a number of fans of several other football clubs here, but I take your point, there is a shared interest in the subject of the Albion.

On any subject on here there are usually different views, and I agree about showing respect and not descending to abuse. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here