Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Laptop has a wifi hardware problem and I've been told it will cost £500 to fix!

As I can still use it with an ethernet cabel there's no way I'm paying that, is there anyway I can get it fixed cheaper or just sell it?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

As I can still use it with an ethernet cabel there's no way I'm paying that, is there anyway I can get it fixed cheaper or just sell it?

My elder son had a WiFi hardware problem and it was a known error they fixed for free however he had to wait 6 months as he was in middle of nowhere in the USA to get it fixed when he came home.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
id sell it. problem with laptop faults is they often need the whole mainboard changing and Apple cost a lot.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
I had the same problem with my imac. It was the airport card.

From the model of your mac and google you should be able to find the one you need. I got mine on ebay for £15 and it was pretty easy to fix.

There are loads of videos on youtube with instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSMOTU5YYOg#t=180

Good luck

If it is just the airport card that's the problem and they want to replace the whole motherboard that must be fraud?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If it is just the airport card that's the problem and they want to replace the whole motherboard that must be fraud?

Possibly however I doubt you would win in court given their legal powers besides how do you think Apple became the richest company they are ?

Have you tried an independent PC repair shop as it might be cheaper.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Wifi has suddenly started working again, no idea what happened but I'll probably sell it before it breaks down again...

Apple were going to charge me £500, I honestly think there's some sort of fraud going on here.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Wifi has suddenly started working again, no idea what happened but I'll probably sell it before it breaks down again...

Apple were going to charge me £500, I honestly think there's some sort of fraud going on here.

They don't want the work unless it's a monster earner?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Did you take it into a store and they told you that, or did they just give you a price for replacing the airport card? Surprising if it's started working again if they'd done their diagnostics check you get at the store.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I've got one of those boring IT jobs and spend most of my day trying to fix and support Apple products for clients in London.

I had to swap a motherboard recently on a MBP and that was £329.96 for the part. I'd assume that's what they're quoting you for in a worse case scenario?

How technical are you? https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac

Step by step guides and they can sell you all the tools and parts to fix it yourself. If not, I'd recommend http://www.amsys.co.uk/ I push work their way when too busy to do it myself. Easier and quicker than using Apple, no need for an appointment, walk in, diagnosed there and then and quoted for an out of warranty fix. Obviously with you're in the deans and them in London it might not be ideal, but if you're up that way pop in.

Assuming you've reset the SMC? Sometimes fixes random hardware errors.

Shut down your MacBook.
Connect the MagSafe power adapter into your MacBook. ...
Press Shift + Control + Option + Power keys at the same time.
Release all the keys from the keyboard.

Sometimes a PRAM reset can help too.

Shut down your laptop(not sleep or logging out)
Press the power button and then press command + option + p + r (Hold them down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime, should chime twice in total)
Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally

Failing all that and it is a failed part that you can't or don't want to fix, you can get a USB wifi dongle cheap enough.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Did you take it into a store and they told you that, or did they just give you a price for replacing the airport card? Surprising if it's started working again if they'd done their diagnostics check you get at the store.

Took it to the store and they and left it with them and then they said they would have to replace the main body

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Took it to the store and they and left it with them and then they said they would have to replace the main body

Bloody idiots. I don't think it's fraud but shows how difficult it is to isolate hardware/software issues. Amazing it started working again. Any similar stories on the Apple Communities forums or anything? Could the wifi just overheated, stopped working, then over a period cooled down and voila all cured? I know I've read issues with MBP's and iMac's getting too hot, stopping working, but returning to functioning properly once everything cools down. I ended up with a laptop stand with external fans mounted within it to keep the bottom of my Mac cool and ventilated.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Bloody idiots. I don't think it's fraud but shows how difficult it is to isolate hardware/software issues. Amazing it started working again. Any similar stories on the Apple Communities forums or anything? Could the wifi just overheated, stopped working, then over a period cooled down and voila all cured? I know I've read issues with MBP's and iMac's getting too hot, stopping working, but returning to functioning properly once everything cools down. I ended up with a laptop stand with external fans mounted within it to keep the bottom of my Mac cool and ventilated.

Actually that's very likely as I have one of those hard shell cases which probably makes it overheat, will be leaving it off now...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here