Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Metropolitan Police a disgrace!

2 youths tried breaking into my brother's garage last night. They were disturbed by my brother who gave chase and caught 1 of them who then turned on my brother and tried to stab him with a knife before punching my brother in the face and running off with a badly torn jacket. After calling the police who were very nice but gave the 'we really can't do anything' speech this particularly nice member of society was spotted today still wearing the torn jacket and the police called. My brother positively identified him as the person who tried to break into his garage, threatened him with a knife and assaulted him. He was duly led off to the police station and despite the fact he has been identified and the fact he is a known criminal to the police and has been bragging about breaking into places....he was let go within an hour with no charges.

Metropolitan police, YOU'RE A ****ING DISGRACE to the service.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
He might have been bailed until they've gathered more evidence. With respect, one man pointing at another and saying "He did it" isn't enough to take someone to court.

He might have been bailed until they've gathered more evidence. With respect, one man pointing at another and saying "He did it" isn't enough to take someone to court.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Dan. The police have informed my brother that no charges will be brought against his attacker. My brother did not know this person but was able to point him out after the guy was arrested. He's now free to walk the streets again, break into properties and attempt to stab someone else.

Like I said...they're a disgrace.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thank you for taking the time to reply Dan. The police have informed my brother that no charges will be brought against his attacker. My brother did not know this person but was able to point him out after the guy was arrested. He's now free to walk the streets again, break into properties and attempt to stab someone else.

Presumably they gave an explanation as to why there were no charges?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Seems a pot luck thing. Your brother met some lazy or by-the-book coppers. Another time, it might have been Police who were prepared to see it through. Shouldn't be like that.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Widely sung in the North Stand nearly forty years ago, 'if you drive a yellow mini you'll be shot.', In reference to the Met Police shooting the driver of a yellow mini, mistaken for a criminal, 27 times and he still lived, the Mt Police have been dreadful for years

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I'm afraid it is not just the Met, obviously with the scandals with South Yorks re Hillsborough and grooming, and also the West Midlands force etc. I think many decent citizens are dissolutioned by the actions of our forces.......respect is going out of the window i'm afraid.
Try not to let it eat you up, hopefully one day this thief will pick on the wrong house and get a beating for his trouble......then again he would get off as a victim...right.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I'm afraid it is not just the Met, obviously with the scandals with South Yorks re Hillsborough and grooming, and also the West Midlands force etc. I think many decent citizens are dissolutioned by the actions of our forces.......respect is going out of the window i'm afraid.
Try not to let it eat you up, hopefully one day this thief will pick on the wrong house and get a beating for his trouble......then again he would get off as a victim...right.

I must support the law, they never get it wrong when you are caught doing 35mph in a 30mph limit..........those speed cameras on a road in the middle of nowhere make the world a safer place!!

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth

you brother is allowed to ask for the decision not to charge to be looked at under new guidelines that came into effect at the start of May.the case must be reviewed by somebody higher in rank than the person who decided to take no action. the officer must then give the results of their review in writting to your brother. if it was a CPS decision he can ask CPS to review as well I believe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With respect, one man pointing at another and saying "He did it" isn't enough to take someone to court.
Really? That seems a bit weird. If I were the brother I'd be putting a lot of pressure on them to prosecute him.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Really? That seems a bit weird. If I were the brother I'd be putting a lot of pressure on them to prosecute him.

the problem is it has to be beyond reasonable doubt.. cant use previous convictions... one word against the other is not beyond reasonable doubt... the fact its obvious he is guilty is not enough to get it into court. CPS have to agree to prosecute and in this sort of case with no supporting evidence they will not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the problem is it has to be beyond reasonable doubt
That's for a jury to decide. 'I saw him, I had a fight with him, I gave a description to the police. The next day I saw him again, and his ripped jacket, and I know it was him'. If he was totally sure, there's a good chance a jury would believe him.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Surprised your brother wasn't charged with criminal damage for ripping the offenders jacket, which seems to be the usual course of action by the Police these days when an innocent person is just trying to do the right thing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's for a jury to decide. 'I saw him, I had a fight with him, I gave a description to the police. The next day I saw him again, and his ripped jacket, and I know it was him'. If he was totally sure, there's a good chance a jury would believe him.

Sadly I'm not sure this is the case - some smarmy defence lawyer would probably get him off on a technicality.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sadly I'm not sure this is the case - some smarmy defence lawyer would probably get him off on a technicality.
Well I can't claim to know any better. If I knew who the person was though, and they pulled a knife, I would put a lot of effort into getting to police to press charges.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Surprised your brother wasn't charged with criminal damage for ripping the offenders jacket, which seems to be the usual course of action by the Police these days when an innocent person is just trying to do the right thing.

Sadly, this has now become a large part of the populations perception.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
2 youths tried breaking into my brother's garage last night. They were disturbed by my brother who gave chase and caught 1 of them who then turned on my brother and tried to stab him with a knife before punching my brother in the face and running off with a badly torn jacket. After calling the police who were very nice but gave the 'we really can't do anything' speech this particularly nice member of society was spotted today still wearing the torn jacket and the police called. My brother positively identified him as the person who tried to break into his garage, threatened him with a knife and assaulted him. He was duly led off to the police station and despite the fact he has been identified and the fact he is a known criminal to the police and has been bragging about breaking into places....he was let go within an hour with no charges.

Metropolitan police, YOU'RE A ****ING DISGRACE to the service.

Hi Surrey Seagull - really sorry to hear about your brothers experience. It is a 5hit thing to have happened to him and I hope he is OK

Some questions -

1) Did your brother formally report the original offence at the time and has he received his crime reference number yet?
2) Was the subsequent arrest with your brother present? (i.e did your brother point him out in the street to officers) or was the arrest some time later on by officers? (based on the description given by your brother with him not present) This is relevant due to ID procedures.
3) After the arrest did your brother go to the police station and make a full (and very detailed) written statement to the police concerning the allegations? (This would be a few pages long and hand written - not the basic details which would be needed for the original report) and did he state in writing that he was willing to attend court and give evidence against the alleged offender?
4) Has your brother been contacted personally by the investigating officer allocated to your brothers case yet and been told what has happened regarding the investigation, the suspect and why certain decisions may have been made? If so what was it?

I retired last year after a 25 year career in The Met. As frustrating as it is for the public and the police, there are many, many reasons why a suspect may be released without charge. There are too many unknowns in your original thread at this time for me to comment but if you or your brother want to PM me further details I am happy to give you an informed and honest opinion as to the decision making process which, on the surface of it, should be a very simple one, but in reality is far from it. The legal processes and rules for police investigations are very strict and subject to scrutiny, as is how the police are required, by law, to deal with suspects. Your brother is entitled to a first rate service and to receive a full rationale as to the outcome of this crime allegation - especially an allegation as serious as this one.

All the best. I hope this has helped.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You have my sympathy. Two guys kicked my car, breaking the wing mirror, because they though i had prked too close to them. I wasnt there but they did it when a copper was walking across the road. The Met took their details but didnt prosecute, jsut gsve them a warning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here