Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is holding council elections at the same time as the parliamentary elections right?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll admit I had no idea that there were council elections in Worthing until I was handed two ballot papers at the polling station.

I understand the efficiency in running both simultaneously, but the Westminster elections completely overshadow the local council elections and that doesn't feel right.

I would imagine there is a high degree of people voting for the same party on both elections as a default choice, not knowing what else to do.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I would imagine there is a high degree of people voting for the same party on both elections as a default choice, not knowing what else to do.

I think that's the biggest issue. A lot of people I've spoken to do not seem to grasp the difference between who they are voting for. I fear we are likely here to end up with another green council purely down to the Caroline Lucas effect.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I was a Presiding Officer yesterday at one of the stations and it was an even bigger nightmare than usual because we had not just the General and District Council elections but the local Town Council as well.

By the end of the day I must have said about 1500 times, 'You get one vote on the white paper, up to three on the Yellow for the District Council and up to five on the green Town Council one'. It was pretty obvious that at least 50% of the electorate turning up hadn't a clue about the other elections and a lot of them either refused a paper or put in the boxes blank.

Anyway I'm knackered now.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I was a Presiding Officer yesterday at one of the stations and it was an even bigger nightmare than usual because we had not just the General and District Council elections but the local Town Council as well.

By the end of the day I must have said about 1500 times, 'You get one vote on the white paper, up to three on the Yellow for the District Council and up to five on the green Town Council one'. It was pretty obvious that at least 50% of the electorate turning up hadn't a clue about the other elections and a lot of them either refused a paper or put in the boxes blank.

Anyway I'm knackered now.

There were five different elections in Bedford yesterday.

1. UK Parliament
2. Borough Councillors
3. Mayor of Bedford
4. Parish Councils
5. A referendum on an increase in the Police's share of Council Tax, proposed by Bedfordshire's Police and Crime Commissioner.

I reckon you had it easy :lolol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It is a difficult one this. Obviously you get a far higher turnout for council elections held at the same time as general elections. However, there has been no campaigning on the local issues whatsoever. I think I prefer them separately, but if you are going to have local elections this year, can you really have two separate dates for these elections?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Joby someone got 2 extra votes from me, in the village and council elections, solely based on the fact his name was Joby.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the supportive argument for doing it at the same time is that Council elections on their own attract a woefully low turnout.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I'll admit I had no idea that there were council elections in Worthing until I was handed two ballot papers at the polling station.

I understand the efficiency in running both simultaneously, but the Westminster elections completely overshadow the local council elections and that doesn't feel right.

I was thinking exactly the same and like to think I'm fairly observant and hot on current affairs, but had absolutely no idea about the council election until a yellow form was thrust in my hand and told I could vote for up to three people. Absolutely ridiculous. Agree with Pasty that we have probably just saddled ourselves with a Green council again by default, because I just voted for the same party for GE and council (NOT Green thank God) which feels really underhand.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I only realised council elections were on when I picked up a leaflet off the doorstep as I was heading out to vote and realised it related to them not the general election.

We had three ballot papers: general, town council and Mid Sussex District Council.

I guess they do it that way firstly to save on admin costs, and secondly to increase the turnout, as hardly anybody would bother with the council elections otherwise, would they?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The only other reason I noted council elections is because [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] mentioned yesterday that Martin Perry was standing for Labour in Hove (I think it was Hove anyway).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here