Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zero Hours

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I've just heard Grant Shapps admit one in fifty are on a zero hours contract, that's more than even I imagined. Are all these millions of jobs that Cameron promised this morning going to be one day a week for some poor soul living in a bedsit?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thats 2% of those employed. considering a larger proportion are on part-time, i don't see why this is continually portrayed so negatively. it works for most (see the ONS numbers), let it go.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Zero hour contracts just need a bit of regulation. Where I work loads of our staff are on zero hour contracts. It suits the business and the employees. Virtually all businesses in the leisure and tourism industry rely on these sorts of employment, However, it should not be allowed in other sorts of businesses. For example Amazon have/had zero hour contracts for their warehouse staff. That is just exploitation.

All that would be required is a bit of regulation by business type and size, then the problem of zero hour contracts would be solved, in my opinion.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Zero hour contracts just need a bit of regulation. Where I work loads of our staff are on zero hour contracts. It suits the business and the employees. Virtually all businesses in the leisure and tourism industry rely on these sorts of employment, However, it should not be allowed in other sorts of businesses. For example Amazon have/had zero hour contracts for their warehouse staff. That is just exploitation.

All that would be required is a bit of regulation by business type and size, then the problem of zero hour contracts would be solved, in my opinion.

This, research has indicated that the majority of people on this arrangement are happy. (See other thread on subject).

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Zero hours contracts are a bit of a misnomer. I worked for a high street jeweler and started off on a 4 hour a week contract. I never worked less than 20 hours a week. After a few months I was given a 12 hour contract. Still worked more than that and it did for a short time.

However, eventually I left for a full time position in an entirely different field. Low hour contracts mean that you will never retain any staff. Eventually they will move on. The shop I worked in had 10 staff on these types of contracts. They could have employed 4 - 5 staff on contracts with more hours and retained a weekend person or two. More hours for workers and better staff retention for the company. It's a joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here