Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other reason

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Obviously the result has taken most by surprise. A lot must have made a late decision as none of the polls leading up to the Election reflected this...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Maybe a Brighton & Hove Albion fan's forum is not the place to be asking that.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Asking Brighton residents (mostly), typically the Nations most liberal and left-wing looney voters, why they voted Conservative.

:banana:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I have always voted Conservative and am absolutely gobsmacked by events.

I have always voted Conservative but oddly enough, I'm not that surprised. I've been telling anyone that cared to listen for last few weeks that I thought we would end up with a small Conservative majority. It has been obvious for ages that the SNP would completely ruin Labour, which nicely left the way clear for the Conservatives to clean up the LibDem vote and get the required majority.

I love the fact that the massive SNP success has helped achieve precisely what they didn't want - a Conservative majority government. Cheers Nicola :thumbsup:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I love the fact that the massive SNP success has helped achieve precisely what they didn't want - a Conservative majority government. Cheers Nicola :thumbsup:

Not sure about that. Independence is back on the agenda now, it wouldn't have been if it was a Labour/SNP coalition. Instead of what they ultimately desire being twenty years away again, it is now back at the fore front of political debate in the UK. I suspect that the SNP are secretly delighted that the Conservatives won.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Anyone who knows about UK politics knows there are lots of Tory voters who don't admit it and they tend to close ranks in the marginals where Tories have a chance or are at threat. I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned how the Eastleigh Bye Election 2 years ago might have made many pundits wary of predicting Tory success.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have always voted Conservative but oddly enough, I'm not that surprised. I've been telling anyone that cared to listen for last few weeks that I thought we would end up with a small Conservative majority. It has been obvious for ages that the SNP would completely ruin Labour, which nicely left the way clear for the Conservatives to clean up the LibDem vote and get the required majority.

Even if Labour has kept every seat in Scotland they still would be way short. If anything its more the rejection of Labour in England, Red Ed was just too left.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Not sure about that. Independence is back on the agenda now, it wouldn't have been if it was a Labour/SNP coalition. Instead of what they ultimately desire being twenty years away again, it is now back at the fore front of political debate in the UK. I suspect that the SNP are secretly delighted that the Conservatives won.

Indeed, if Scotland go's it alone you'll never see a Labour Party forming a Government in Westminster in what's left of your lifetime!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

You may well be right, but I was sick and tired of the amount of times I'd heard Nicola Sturgeon say her biggest aim was to "lock David Cameron out of Downing street"

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I say to you Ed Milliband, lets lock David Cameron out of No10 Downing Street.......I think that was the phrase that won the election for the Tories

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I fear that until the SNP get what they want they will always deter the left wing vote. I don't want the UK to break up, but equally, I'm not keen on handing the right a free rein.

Of course the Conservatives will be aware of this and so none too keen to offer the Scots another referendum.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Indeed, if Scotland go's it alone you'll never see a Labour Party forming a Government in Westminster in what's left of your lifetime!

Quite possibly. Although I think you are underestimating people's desire for change. If Labour get their act together next time, they will do better than this election, guaranteed. Will that be enough to win a majority? Perhaps not, but a coalition with the Lib Dems and Greens. I can see that happening at some point in my lifetime (I should hopefully see another ten elections in that time, a lot of things can and will change in 40/50 years).

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I fear that until the SNP get what they want they will always deter the left wing vote. I don't want the UK to break up, but equally, I'm not keen on handing the right a free rein.

Of course the Conservatives will be aware of this and so none too keen to offer the Scots another referendum.

I don't think the Conservatives will have a lot of choice about offering the SNP another referendum. If the SNP get the same percentage of votes at the Scottish elections next year, that they have in the last Scottish election (44%, more than Labour and Conservative combined) and this election (50% nearly 20% more than Labour and Conservative combined) then they have a clear mandate for another referendum. The SNP will undoubtedly run their next campaign on this premise.

Of course the Conservatives can deny them another referendum if they want to. I'm just not sure if it would be morally or ethically right for them to do so.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I don't think the Conservatives will have a lot of choice about offering the SNP another referendum. If the SNP get the same percentage of votes at the Scottish elections next year, that they have in the last Scottish election (44%, more than Labour and Conservative combined) and this election (50% nearly 20% more than Labour and Conservative combined) then they have a clear mandate for another referendum. The SNP will undoubtedly run their next campaign on this premise.

Of course the Conservatives can deny them another referendum if they want to. I'm just not sure if it would be morally or ethically right for them to do so.

let them have another referendum - they still wont vote for independence. why should they when the majority of Scots realise we are funding their free higher education and care for the elderly at the expense of our own students and elderly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here