Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want more of the NHS to be privatised?

• I'd like it to be completely privatised

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I'd like a bit more to be privatised

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • I'd like it to stay as it is

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • I'd like it to be less privatised than it is

Votes: 59 53.6%
  • Don't care who provides the service, as long as it's free at point of use

Votes: 23 20.9%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

These are your choices:

I'd like it to be completely privatised
I'd like a bit more to be privatised, for example, so it can be run more efficitently
I'd like it to stay as it is
I'd like it to be less privatised than it is
Don't care who provides the service, as long as it's free at point of use

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
5th option added to poll, so those that voted in the first version will need to vote again. Sorry, I'm an amateur.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Don't privatise it but limit what it can offer, its the only way it will survive. If you're over 30 BMI, NI surcharge applies

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I worship the NHS, it is flawed, it creaks at times, and its priorities aren't always mine, but overall it does a fantastic job.

In principle I guess I don't care who does the work so long as it is free to the user. However, I suspect that doing so would cost the country more money. In the US medical care takes up 17% of GDP, whereas in the UK it is 9%, yet the UK has longer life expectancy. The gap is taken up by privately run hospitals, insurance companies and medics making a fortune.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Don't privatise it but limit what it can offer, its the only way it will survive. If you're over 30 BMI, NI surcharge applies

What if you are over 30 and don't work (i.e. those who appear on the Jeremy Kyle show).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I worship the NHS, it is flawed, it creaks at times, and its priorities aren't always mine, but overall it does a fantastic job.

In principle I guess I don't care who does the work so long as it is free to the user. However, I suspect that doing so would cost the country more money. In the US medical care takes up 17% of GDP, whereas in the UK it is 9%, yet the UK has longer life expectancy. The gap is taken up by privately run hospitals, insurance companies and medics making a fortune.

Because its free at point of use, so many people take the NHS utterly for granted. Like the chavs who make A&E a family outing on a Friday night. Like the weekend drunks who somehow feel the need to assault the people trying to ease an ailment usually of their own making. Like the millions wasted every year by people who just don't turn up for appointments. Like the massive spraying around of pills and tablets that aren't really needed any more and the huge number of walking sticks and zimmer frames they never get back or even ask to get back. Like patients who get a menu card, three free meals a day and cups of tea and still moan about the food.

For sure the NHS is seriously flawed in many ways and needs a good institutional slap, mainly to force it to make many its point of use users to stop acting like complete *****. Hit them through their pockets or through their benefits, maybe make them stop and think before abusing one of the greatest assets we have access to. Make them act like grown-ups basically.

Everybody has friends or family members who's lives have been saved by the NHS. It's a wondrous thing. All of my friends in the US live in constant fear of losing their jobs, not so much because they'd loses their job, but because they'd lose their health care. Makes you think.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Because its free at point of use, so many people take the NHS utterly for granted. Like the chavs who make A&E a family outing on a Friday night. Like the weekend drunks who somehow feel the need to assault the people trying to ease an ailment usually of their own making. Like the millions wasted every year by people who just don't turn up for appointments. Like the massive spraying around of pills and tablets that aren't really needed any more and the huge number of walking sticks and zimmer frames they never get back or even ask to get back. Like patients who get a menu card, three free meals a day and cups of tea and still moan about the food.

For sure the NHS is seriously flawed in many ways and needs a good institutional slap, mainly to force it to make many its point of use users to stop acting like complete *****. Hit them through their pockets or through their benefits, maybe make them stop and think before abusing one of the greatest assets we have access to. Make them act like grown-ups basically.

Everybody has friends or family members who's lives have been saved by the NHS. It's a wondrous thing. All of my friends in the US live in constant fear of losing their jobs, not so much because they'd loses their job, but because they'd lose their health care. Makes you think.
good post, so much wastage happens in the NHS , like my former sister in laws dept where they replaced 50 perfectly serviceable computer monitors with flatscreen ones because 'they were more in keeping with a modern and forward thinking NHS'......ridiculous.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I also think we can learn more from European and Canadian models, they have a far better service than us.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
It does concern me that in an increasingly corporate world, that the NHS can be abused by companies that feed of it.

Maybe, in the long term it would be better off completely privatised.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The French have an excellent health service where 70% of it is paid through the state. Everyone has an insurance policy which covers the remaining 30%. I have spoken to expats who live in France, who have experienced the care and cannot fault it. If you need a blood test, the nurse visits you at a convenient time. You can chose when to have an operation.

The NHS is similar to education at the moment, where changes have been implemented here and there, by various governments, so now it needs a major overhaul. Hopefully, it will be better afterwards but I fear it will be rearranging deckchairs again. Money is being wasted hand over fist, so throwing more money at it, isn't necessarily the answer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It does concern me that in an increasingly corporate world, that the NHS can be abused by companies that feed of it.
Yep.
Maybe, in the long term it would be better off completely privatised.
What? You've completely throw me there. On the one hand you're concerned about companies abusing the NHS and then you wonder if it's better being privatised? I'm confused.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I would like it to be less privatised than it is now but have to face up to the reality the Conservatives now have a mandate from the people to bring in more back door privatisation through the TTIP agreement.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't know how their welfare system works. I can only speak about experiences friends of ours have had.
I don't know how it works there, and would be interested to hear. Presumably your friends there aren't the poorest in society though, and may not be the best people to tell us?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought I would get my dental treatment done on the NHS but no. That was yesterday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here