Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electoral reform needed now

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm no UKIP fan but for them to get 3 million votes, and the lib dems 2 million votes, and get 10 MPs between them is a joke.

SNP 1.5 million votes, 57 seats!

Which way will it go, peaceful protests or rioting in the streets?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The only party who wanted PR have taken a hammering.

I also feel that some of those votes are protest votes, which wouldn't go that way, if PR came in.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well it won't happen anytime now with the Cons back in

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
PR has to come in, 'local' MP's are mostly a thing of the past, it would make everyone's vote relevant. It won't happen for years now though.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The blues did not win this, tactical voting has won the day. Many people held their noses whilst they voted, and will soon come to terms abruptly with the outcome of doing so.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The blues did not win this, tactical voting has won the day. Many people held their noses whilst they voted, and will soon come to terms abruptly with the outcome of doing so.
What random unfounded crap. You do have a vivid imagination. Man up and move on.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
What random unfounded crap. You do have a vivid imagination. Man up and move on.

Calm down dear! Financially this result suits me fine. Morally it doesn't but you can't have everything. I was worried about who did or didn't win amidst my apathy for at least 10 seconds, but still allowed to comment Shirley?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Won't happen.

We've had this every election I can remember with the Liberal(Dem)s, and we even had a referedum recently about it.

Consevative turkeys won't vote for Christmas.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The current system prevented the National Front and the BNP from achieving parliamentary representation.

Just because there are nutters spread all over the country, it doesn't mean they have to be represented in our executive and legislative bodies.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wouldn't pr lead to a lot of hung parliaments and therefore a new coalition every parliament?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
It would, but the present system was basically designed for where there are two parties, now that newer, more diverse parties are developing then it less represents the will of the people.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The current system prevented the National Front and the BNP from achieving parliamentary representation.

Just because there are nutters spread all over the country, it doesn't mean they have to be represented in our executive and legislative bodies.

True. Israel's Knesset always has to form a coalition and it always ended up containing far right pro settlement nutjobs.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

So just because a load of nutters live together north of the border they should be granted over 50 seats in parliament?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
True. Israel's Knesset always has to form a coalition and it always ended up containing far right pro settlement nutjobs.

Agreed. Our current system is flawed, but the alternatives are likely to create pork barrel politics.

We knew the voting system when we went to the polls yesterday, and it now appears there is a party with a majority, so they have a mandate. Let them get on with it.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I'm no UKIP fan but for them to get 3 million votes, and the lib dems 2 million votes, and get 10 MPs between them is a joke.

SNP 1.5 million votes, 57 seats!

Which way will it go, peaceful protests or rioting in the streets?

To be fair, UKIP/Lib Dems had a massively larger electorate to get votes from than the SNP.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Looks like my predictions of more riots will happen..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So just because a load of nutters live together north of the border they should be granted over 50 seats in parliament?

Absolutely, they represent the views of the collectively largest number of people in those constituencies.

The other parties should be asking themselves why they got it so spectacularly wrong, in terms of their manifestos, campaigning and policies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here